Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would this put you off car purchase...w

Views : 2277

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:11   #11
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Further info now showing an interim oil service was done, first full service is not till year two in these cars. I will need to see documentary evidence however.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:49   #12
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
Why, a set mileage was only the best available estimate in times gone by, due to the different driving styles and uses was far from accurately determining a car's need for a service. Indeed it was more of a guess as to the need than sensors.

Of course the setting of the sensors is a different discussion.

Personally I wouldn't be put off buying it because of the first service, although I would question if a diesel mini is the wisest choice for 20k miles pa.

Best of luck with your decision.
It's the new f56 model, huge inside and the BMW triple is as used in many BMW now. First mini described as a bimi (more BMW than mini). Will have a long think, thanks for all advice thus far.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 12:43   #13
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I can recall my father buying a new car which had to be driven gently for the first 500 miles of 'Running In', it then had a service to replace the running in oil which was a different spec to the regular stuff. Modern cars don't need that as they are presumably better engineered and have better oil so can perform straight out of the factory. Given your later info that they rely on sensors to indicate when a service is required and many therefore don't get serviced for the first couple of years I'd be less worried about it, it's done another 15k and three years without blowing up. It sounds a bit like the previous owner decided after the first service was so long coming that they would have it serviced annually as they feel the same way about the reliability of the sensor based system, but those same sensors will be the ones that make the car run every time you turn the key. I still think that the type of driving has a lot more effect than the overall mileage, a couple of hundred miles on the motorway is a lot easier on the car than a dozen 1 mile round trips to pick the kids up from school, presumably the Mini sensors factor that in too.

Going back a few years (OK nearly 30), I worked for a firm that had just bought a new Merc 308 van, I thrashed it up and down the country for a few months without really thinking about the service schedule, when the thought did eventually occur it was at twice the service interval. We got it serviced and it carried on for many years after that.

Would it put me off buying? probably not, especially if it was in the hard to find spec that I wanted. As MikeGMT suggested, huff and puff a bit about the 'missing' service and see if you can get a few bob off.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 13:04   #14
Lexington013

Sounds like you have done your homework. Missing the first service at 26k isn't a big issue if the dealer has serviced the remaining ones as you say. Mileage isn't huge. I would say haggle a bit due to the missing first service. If the condition and spec and price is favourable then go ahead.
I tend to buy 10 year old cars with 100k (mainly Volvo or Audi) with good service history. They have all been bullet proof and served me well. My current Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDI is an 07 plate with 114000 miles, few battle scars but it's a nice place to be and is doing 50 miles per day commute. It's comfortable, fuel efficient and imho one of the best engines Audi produced.
My "other car" is a Mk3 V70 D5 again 57 plate, 111000 miles, fvsh supremely comfortable, 185bhp on tap, great auto gearbox.
Both cars very practical with a young family, in my mind better than an SUV, as larger carrying space. Estate cars for me every time please, I love them.
Which do I prefer, the V70 of course, but only just shades it.....
Lexington013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 14:07   #15
biggbn
I've Been Banned

We are gonna look at a totally different, sensible car this afternoon for comparison, a tdi Astra gtc coupe, year older, less miles, better spec and infinitely more...sensible, albeit probably rarer!! Same price, just wanna see what else is about
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 14:45   #16
roundyuk

Astra?!?Noooooooooooooooo.....

I don’t think you can even compare with the Mini!! Unless Soul doesn’t come into the equation :-D
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 15:39   #17
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Yup, can't do sensible. Went and looked at mini again, it's a lovely wee thing but the nagging doubt remains, my info this morning was lost in translation, car has indeed NOT had service till 26k but BMW service claim this will have done no harm

Last edited by biggbn; Jan 17th, 2019 at 15:45.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 16:19   #18
ITSv40
VOC Member

Biggbn,

I am like you 'old school' and put great emphasis on correct servicing and frequent oil changes.

A couple of years ago we bought a 2007 Mini Cooper for 'er indoors. Like you we had looked at many and finding the right spec in the right colour and condition is very difficult with Mini's. Anyway found the perfect car 53,000mls full service history except the first oil change was 18,000mls. Everything stacked up otherwise, it drove superbly and had only just come in as a part ex and the dealer had not had time to 'tart it up'. It was in very good clean used condition.

I agonised over the lack of first oil change, but took a punt and bought it. I got a hefty discount for buying as seen with no warranty and no valeting etc as I would do that myself anyway. The car is now on 87,000mls with no issues. I service it myself and change the oil every 7,000mls - because that is me - and the only major things I have replaced is the air con condenser as it suffered stone damage - Mini's are susceptible to that - and two front suspension mounts.

Brilliant little thing, drives like a go kart and makes 'er indoors feel young when out and about in it, so all good.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 17:18   #19
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Biggbn, get with the times . It is the modern way to have services determined by sensors. My FiL went 2 years without a service on his Fabia. It completely freaked him. He took it into the dealer after 12 months to get it serviced and they turned him away without touching it as the computer said no. His face was a picture when he came to see me about it.

I'm no mechanic but subsequent services should have sorted things out and if there had been any major issues then the dash would be lit up with warning lights.

Mini v Astra? No contest, the Mini (unless you have to carry things) You could fall asleep driving the Astra, worthy but dull.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 17:30   #20
The Thong
VOC Member

Least you know what you’re buying, you buy a car with a service history and it could still end up being a pile of crap. If the car drives good then it’ll probably be fine. Keep it well serviced and you should be ok.

TT