Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Overdrive on Polestar optimization

Views : 2349

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:24   #1
jonnyu

Default Overdrive on Polestar optimization

Does anyone has an info about the new Overdrive option in the Polestar optimization for the XC60 annouced this year 2019?

Apparently the polestar optimization for the 2019 D5 engine increses the power from 235 hp to 240 hp, and the torque from 480 Nm to 500 Nm.

With the Overboost option, the optimization will reach the 255 hp and 520 Nm.

Does anyone know more details about this?
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 10:31   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

I not read anything about it, but sounds a con to get more money out of you on Polestars behalf, why not just boost it to the overdrive figures.

Also I wonder if Volvo are on purposely really de-tuning OEM cars to get Polestar sales, when they could have tuned the basic car higher in the first place.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:15   #3
SimNugget

Overboost or overdrive?

I have overboost on my M2 - gives a bit more turbo boost pressure for around 20 secs when the pedal is flat to the floor. In reality it is a safety mechanism so the engine doesn’t run too long at that higher boost level. They’ve just named it overboost to make it sound good.

Thought overdrive used to be like a 5th gear on old manual cars.

S
SimNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SimNugget For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:38   #4
weemark

Kind of - here's an explanation .... ah those were the days

With the early development of cars and the almost universal rear-wheel drive layout, the final drive (i.e. rear axle) ratio for fast cars was chosen to give the ratio for maximum speed. The gearbox was designed so that, for efficiency, the fastest ratio would be a "direct-drive" or "straight-through" 1:1 ratio, avoiding frictional losses in the gears. Achieving an overdriven ratio for cruising thus required a gearbox ratio even higher than this, i.e. the gearbox output shaft rotating faster than the engine. The propeller shaft linking gearbox and rear axle is thus overdriven, and a transmission capable of doing this became termed an "overdrive" transmission

The device for achieving an overdrive transmission was usually a small separate gearbox, attached to the rear of the main gearbox and controlled by its own shift lever. These were often optional on some models of the same car

And this pic of a Dolly Sprint shows the switch
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 13:49   #5
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimNugget View Post
Overboost or overdrive?

I have overboost on my M2 - gives a bit more turbo boost pressure for around 20 secs when the pedal is flat to the floor. In reality it is a safety mechanism so the engine doesn’t run too long at that higher boost level. They’ve just named it overboost to make it sound good.

Thought overdrive used to be like a 5th gear on old manual cars.

S
Yes, you are right, i mixed the terms. It's overboost
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:21   #6
Quacker
Premier Member

This actually does add some value to Polestar. It is a meaningful, albeit probably short duration increase in power and torque that should be really noticeable. Especially useful for overtaking uphill I'd have thought.

One hopes that it will be a free upgrade for existing Polestar users.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 15:49   #7
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

I wish polestar remap for D4 was slightly powerful with also overboost. At least minimum of 210hp and 460 NM of torque. Real remap of 10hp and 40 NM for d4 it's so insignificant.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 10:33   #8
Gossyjamin
Xc60 t5 Rdesign Polestar

Take delivery of our xc60 t5 in March for the new plate and have opted for polestar, have they changed anything’s for 2019
Thanks in advance
Gossyjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:53   #9
steadvex
Master Member

If this gets added to older car that already have polestar software its good in my eyes

I mean, if you goto a dealer, get your service, then get told as you've had polestar before you've now got some extra power. Well I would be happy anyway!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 14:21   #10
roundyuk

Although the pure BHP increase on the D4 is not huge for the Polestar, I believe it’s not just power output changes; gearbox, driving dynamic etc. all get a tweak.

Would love to hear from someone who had their D4 for a period without and then had it added.