Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to tell when steering rack is centred?

Views : 815

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 19:17   #1
spyda

Default How to tell when steering rack is centred?

I have been discussing the problem of my car pulling to the left with a mate who works for Mercedes and he has suggested that the steering rack is not centred when the steering wheel is - meaning that any geometry checks / adjustments are pointless.

Apparently with Merc's there is a line on the steering rack / box that indicates the central position. When the rack is in this position, the steering wheel should also be centred.

If people are tracking my car with the steering wheel pulled to the central position and not necessarily checking that this lines up with the steering rack, as soon as the clamp is released, the steering wheel returns to IT'S central position, meaning that the steering rack is not central when the steering wheel is.

I need to know how to determine when my the steering rack is in the central position and then check the steering wheel. IF this is out, the steering wheel is going to need adjusting on its splines to match the central position of the rack. Then and only then, when I can be sure that the steering wheel and rack are central at the same time, I need to have the geometry done again.

So, first of all can anyone tell me how to check the central position of the steering rack (not by counting the number of threads on the track rods)?
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 22:14   #2
Liberty555

Hi Spyda

I looked into this same issue - I had my car tracked and when I got it back the wheel was a few degrees to the left.

Now... rest assured that the relationship between the wheel and the rack SHOULD be the same unless someone has taken the steering wheel off and rotated it on the splined boss, which is unlikely given that the airbag would have to be disarmed to do this, and its a lot more work than realigning the wheels.

Thats my take on it anyway.

This isn't to say however that the steerig rack hasn't shifted on its mountings, but I doubt that too.

Hope you get it sorted.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 23:05   #3
spangoolies
Better Than Premier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty555 View Post
Hi Spyda

I looked into this same issue - I had my car tracked and when I got it back the wheel was a few degrees to the left.

Now... rest assured that the relationship between the wheel and the rack SHOULD be the same unless someone has taken the steering wheel off and rotated it on the splined boss, which is unlikely given that the airbag would have to be disarmed to do this, and its a lot more work than realigning the wheels.

Thats my take on it anyway.

This isn't to say however that the steerig rack hasn't shifted on its mountings, but I doubt that too.

Hope you get it sorted.
off topic -air bag removal only takes seconds. unclip the plugs and its out. i did this when removing the steering wheel. alligning the wheels is a hell of a lot harder. sorry to go off the issue

spangoolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 00:00   #4
johnswlondon
CEO

should have same number of exposed threads on the track rods left and right
johnswlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 00:12   #5
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Cool

How about counting the number of turns of the wheel from lock to lock, (after having marked the wheel ), including the fraction of a turn thats left as it wont be an even number, and then half that value, move the wheel from one full lock side, and thats your wheel centred. Mark the fractional turn with a protractor for accuracy.
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:07   #6
spyda

Liberty - I agree with spangoolies on this in that the steering wheel removal and replacement is not all that complicated. I saw it done and the process took about 10 mins. It's a little fiddly sure, but quite a simple job to do.

GEORGEROV I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping there was some easy way to see some sort of marking on the rack itslef that would ensure beyond all doubt that the rack was central. I guess though, done right this could work.

johnswlondon This was one of the first things that were checked, and they do.
spyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:24   #7
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Tracking correctly:

Ignore steering wheel position

Make sure that both track rods are of equal length (counting threads not the ideal way of doing it) by measuring from the lip the rack boot fits up against to the track rod end.

Adjust the tracking, making sure that when one side is adjusted, the other is adjusted the same amount to keep the rods the same length.

THEN adjust the steering wheel if necessary.

The only reason for the rack/wheel to be out is if either has been removed at some point.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 11:52   #8
Liberty555

Spyda

When I said its a lot more work to remove the steering wheel than realign the wheels, what I mean is, it is unlikely that someone aligning the wheels on the car would go to the trouble of removing the wheel to get it straight. Also, the steering wheel boss is splined, so you have to go one whole spline either way - its not a good way to get the steering wheel aligned.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 12:27   #9
turboboy
Master Member

Default Steering alignment

The splines on the steering column / wheel are quite fine and alignment of the steering wheel should be pretty close to correct at the right spline position.

There are several possible causes for the steering pulling to one side, apart from incorrect alignment.

Binding / dragging brake (front or rear) or an under-inflated tyre can be the cause. I have even seen an odd size tyre fitted to one wheel.

Also check tyre condition, preferably with the wheels off the car so that you can see the inside wall as well.

My 740 has been pulling to the left for some time and we now suspect that the shock absorber may be faulty (all four were replaced only a couple of years ago along with the rack and all joints and bushes). This has resulted in the N/S tyre losing part of its tread on the inside.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote