Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 glt noise

Views : 2353

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 20:35   #1
grim reaper

Default 240 glt noise

hi guys...i have 2 problems with the car (1 worrying and one confusing lol)

one: theres a wierd noise coming from my glt...at first we (me and my brother) though it was the gearbox as it was making the noise of a gearbox with low oil in it, so we changed the oil, but it continued, then we thought there was low oil in there so i topped that up aswell but it still makes the noise...it sounds mechanical and the only thing i can think of now is the timing belt/tensioners are on their way out, but i dont have no more money is there a way i can test this? if im driving and i dip the clutch the noise dissapears and it makes a slight noise when i rev it up in neutral...it also makes the noise when stationary but only when in neutral as i found out if i press the clutch is stops...it has both of us baffled and we are both pretty ample mechanics lmao

two the temp gauge is wrong or my thermostat is duff, the temp never really goes high, max it has gone up is about 1/4 and then quickly went back down to nearly 0...the heaters come on fine and they are HOT when i put them on

its a 2.3 injection BTW, fuel ecconomy doesnt seem too bad, done about 200 miles to about 25 quid of fuel
grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 20:49   #2
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

1) Could be the release bearing, but I am guessing as I have not experienced such a noise on any of my Volovs..

2) You are best investigating the temp sender (there is a separate sensor for the gauge on the dash), maybe the dash gauge itself or the thermostat.
Is your viscous coupling working (loose fan when cold, stiff fan when hot.
Chech the radiator in and out pipes for temperature difference to see if the thermostat is opening..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 20:53   #3
grim reaper

thanks des, im eating right now so will get outside in a bit...we thought it might be release bearing too because of when i press the clutch...if it is the release bearing is it safe to drive the car?? i will be replacing it soon BTW if it is...ill try getting a video up as it sounds like a diesel LOL

as for the temp, if i touch the engine it is hot, very hot...so i think it might be the sender but it does make a bit of white smoke sometimes (like when driving on cold start)...i think my brothers volvo 940 does that too but im not too sure
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 21:03   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Most likely is thrust bearing but possible box on way out. Either way I would just carry on driving if money is tight. It will probably last for ages yet.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 21:06   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi this may sound totally daft! But my 245 which ok is automatic unlike your manual,started making a tinnie squeking noise?mainly while sat at traffic lights or at a junction while in gear.as soon as I put it in neutral it stopped.after many hours trying to find the problem it turned out to be the HEATshield on the exhaust manifold!!! It wasn't exactly loose just that one of the bolts was not quite tight and it would squeak every now and then.I have tightened it and now the engine is mega quite.
I'm sure many others will come up with noise related stories and we will eventually fix your problem. Nearly forgot!the backseat on my estate has an irritating squeak but only when someone sits behind me but doesn't lean hard enough against the rear upright bit(namely my daughter)it turned out to be the top catch which holds the upright in position?
Best of luck with your problem but trying to get across the sound it makes is very tricky.
Regards Brian.
Oh and like mentioned on another thread my gearbox does whine ever so slightly when cold and only at low speed.stops after a short distance so I won't be losing any sleep just yet.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Dec 18th, 2007 at 21:09.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 21:18   #6
grim reaper

thanks guys

minesa - its not a whining noise though, think of it this way, you got a fan and you stick something in the fan (plastic ruler) so that the blades catch the ruler (tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk noise if you get what i mean)
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 21:26   #7
minesa240x3
loyalty

Oh I see what you mean? Another strange noise that only happens when I brake hard is the HEATER fan which sounds like the noise we used to get when putting a piece of plastic in the spokes of our pushbike wheel(they were the days) I will eventually get round to fixing it but the amount of work taking most of the dash out is a job for when it's desperate!I can live with turning it down for now which stops the noise anyway.fan bearings probably?or maybe somethink fallen into the vent?
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 21:28   #8
grim reaper

will have a good look tomorrow as its got my mum worried aswell and it has her claiming that i have bought "a peice of ****" lmfao...been driving about 500 miles today though luckily 200 were in the volvo
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 22:02   #9
Velorum
VOC Member

The other thing that can cause a hard to locate noise is the exhaust downpipe clamp. This will often fracture with age and make a variety of noises. This happened on my first 240 and I was told with great authority at a garage that the elements in the CAT had broken up with age and were vibrating. Cheapest CAT at the time = £350, cost of clamp = £4.50!

Both the clamps on my GL and GLT have gone at the moment - I have removed the broken parts and am running without them, which is OK bit you need to check that the downppipe from the manifold doesnt work loose.

Tracking down noises is an interesting pursuit.........
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 22:05   #10
grim reaper

it has a brand new exhaust on it though, from manifold to the end...the manifold looks origonal though as its not as shiney as the exhaust lol...also, mine doesnt have a cat fitted