Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

suddenly starter motor wont engage

Views : 2063

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2019, 14:04   #1
2V8s

Default suddenly starter motor wont engage

Hi all,

having just got my 960 24v estate MOTd, the next time I went to use it, turn the key and nothing. It not the battery - thats fine and also I tried fully charging it - no difference.

I read somewhere else about dodgy ignition barrel - well that was already replaced once and also if I put the headlights on, they turn off when the key goes from pos 2 to start position so I figure that's fine?

The only sign of something going to be amiss was the day I took it to the MOT, when I started it initially there was a delay of a second or so when nothing happened and then it started as normal although the starter motor sounded a little sluggish.

Could it be the starter motor? do they suddenly fail in this way? Or could it be something else?

Im feeling a bit gutted because this has always been such a reliable car, dont recall there ever being a time it has failed to start (even when the fuel pump was playing up)

thanks

Aaron

Last edited by 2V8s; Feb 12th, 2019 at 14:06.
2V8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 15:26   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Is it manual or auto? First thing i'd check is that the exciter/trigger wire (usually white/red) hasn't come off the starter terminal.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 19:58   #3
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Highly unlikely the wire has fallen off. However, if you can see the starter motor (not sure of layout on that engine), try this:
  1. With the vehicle in neutral or park, have someone hold the key in the start position.
  2. Assuming the engine is not cranking, rap the starter motor itself with a hammer (via a drift or similar if you cant reach it easily).
  3. If the starter springs into life, you have identified the problem - worn out brushes in the starter motor itself.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 20:27   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Is it manual or auto? First thing i'd check is that the exciter/trigger wire (usually white/red) hasn't come off the starter terminal.
What i forgot to say earlier is if it's auto, try holding the key in the start position and moving the gear lever through the entire range of movement (P to 1 and back again) several times and listen to see if the starter engages in N or P or tries to.

Could simply be a worn inhibitor switch or even just dirty contacts.

Still worth checking the exciter wire, if it's where it should be, not broken, clean and tight connection, give Ash's idea a try.

Also worth checking the relays are all pushed fully home in the electrical box behind the ashtray and/or under the bonnet depending on which model you've got - a loose start relay will also cause this problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 09:36   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

An alternative source could be the engine earth strap!

Years ago I had a Fiat Mirafiori that refused to start; I became adept at starter motor removal and replacement but couldn't work out what the problem was as the starter was fine when off thecar.

It turned out that the earth strap between the rocker cover and bulkhead had an air gap. Remade with aircraft-specification braided cable and - problem solved.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 10:50   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
An alternative source could be the engine earth strap!

Years ago I had a Fiat Mirafiori that refused to start; I became adept at starter motor removal and replacement but couldn't work out what the problem was as the starter was fine when off thecar.

It turned out that the earth strap between the rocker cover and bulkhead had an air gap. Remade with aircraft-specification braided cable and - problem solved.
Quick way to check for that is a jump lead fromthe bellhousing as near to the starter as possible to the battery -ve terminal.

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 11:21   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Highly unlikely the wire has fallen off. However, if you can see the starter motor (not sure of layout on that engine), try this:
  1. With the vehicle in neutral or park, have someone hold the key in the start position.
  2. Assuming the engine is not cranking, rap the starter motor itself with a hammer (via a drift or similar if you cant reach it easily).
  3. If the starter springs into life, you have identified the problem - worn out brushes in the starter motor itself.
Not necessarily. In this scenario the problem could just as easily be a sticking solenoid.

Quote:
Quick way to check for that is a jump lead fromthe bellhousing as near to the starter as possible to the battery -ve terminal.
..... or voltage test between the starter motor body and vehicle chassis/battery negative during cranking.
There'll be an over spec voltage drop reading if the earth strap is defective.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 12:24   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
..... or voltage test between the starter motor body and vehicle chassis/battery negative during cranking.
There'll be an over spec voltage drop reading if the earth strap is defective.
The jump lead does that and proves the starter at the same time if it is an earth strap fault.

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 14:35   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
The jump lead does that and proves the starter at the same time if it is an earth strap fault.
Agreed but the jump lead trick is only good to identify that one fault but if you guess right first time, it's all good.
Using a multimeter to measure voltage drop on the live and ground side will identify many more potential faults though so a combination of methods is always handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 16:16   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Agreed but the jump lead trick is only good to identify that one fault but if you guess right first time, it's all good.
Using a multimeter to measure voltage drop on the live and ground side will identify many more potential faults though so a combination of methods is always handy.
True but eliminating the simple faults first with a few simple checks is a lot easier to do than go through everything when you're at the side of the road in the pouring rain with a customer bleating "Have you fixed it yet?"