Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat Belt advice sought

Views : 779

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2019, 13:03   #1
myshed

Default Seat Belt advice sought

My vehicle is a 2004 v70 D5, and I'm seeking advice over rear seat belts -specifically the Near side Rear
Some time ago, one of my grandkids "unpicked" the "button" that stops the webbing winding too far back into the housing, which results in the seat belt lock-up that is not an unfamiliar problem. The belt now has a minor tear about 1/4" long along the webbing where it was unpicked, I replaced the "button", but they keep falling off. Murphy's law, during MoT on Tuesday it fell off, and examiner stated it was a major failure since the belt was damaged, so car off road.

Fair enough - but I'm unable to locate a replacement (well, I've not tried Volvo - the cost is likely to be more than the car would justify).

So the nub of the question - are there any alternative belts which could be used, or does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
myshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 14:59   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Breaker's yard? Ask for the same color. Go for as new a one as you can find.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 17:04   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Univer...YAAOSw9NdXtZtT

The above is a link to a UK seller- you should find others.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 18:05   #4
myshed

Thanks for the responses.

Have tried scrappies, but nothing locally (30m radius), have had REALLY bad experience with "scrappy brokers" like Partsgateway so reluctant to use again, Google nowt, ebay loads but no success with NSR, hence my question - is there another vehicle's belt I could use?

The "buttons" are the same as those fitted and which fell off during the test; suggested to examiner that replacement could be fitted, but he was adamant that belt was damaged & would not pass re-testing, therefore MoT failure. So,
only apparent option is to replace whole belt - unless someone has another suggestion?
Old Jun 20th, 2019, 20:58   #5
smk70

superglue a new button onto the belt and go somewhere else for a test.
smk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 12:29   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshed View Post
The "buttons" are the same as those fitted and which fell off during the test; suggested to examiner that replacement could be fitted, but he was adamant that belt was damaged & would not pass re-testing, therefore MoT failure. So, only apparent option is to replace whole belt - unless someone has another suggestion?
Super glue the button using a very small drop of the glue on the underside of each part of the button - apply to the fabric.
a)it won't show if you use a small drop
b)it will stop the unpicked belt fabric running further
c)it won't impact the strength of the belt
d)the repaired "section" will be entirely under the button

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 13:52   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshed View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Have tried scrappies, but nothing locally (30m radius), have had REALLY bad experience with "scrappy brokers" like Partsgateway so reluctant to use again, Google nowt, ebay loads but no success with NSR, hence my question - is there another vehicle's belt I could use?

The "buttons" are the same as those fitted and which fell off during the test; suggested to examiner that replacement could be fitted, but he was adamant that belt was damaged & would not pass re-testing, therefore MoT failure. So,
only apparent option is to replace whole belt - unless someone has another suggestion?
You did not fit the button properly if it fell off , it is a 2 part button with a pin in the middle which goes through the second part on the back , you are supposed to use a soldering iron to melt the end of pin down to secure it all together , it should be fine then .
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 12:13   #8
myshed

Thanks for responses.

Button does not cover damage, hence my original question.
Button WAS fitted correctly - but consider its role - it is to stop the webbing retracting too far, so every time the belt is released, it retracts until the button stops it. So whether superglued or "welded" the result is the same - the locking pin eventually breaks off, no stopper, belt over-retracts when seat dropped into floor, jams, and as most V70 owners ought by now to know, there is a simple and well documented process to free it up. I guess each button has probably lasted about year to 18 months.

'Twas Murphy's Law that as tester was checking belt retracting the pin broke and we had the two halves in our hands - the wound in the belt was visible and indisputable!

These belts are a bit like hens teeth, hence the question whether there might be an alternative that could be used. I've at long last secured a replacement, all fitted and working ok without triggering SRS codes, so all good.

Last edited by myshed; Jun 28th, 2019 at 12:20.
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 16:18   #9
JohnSmith500746

Default Seat belt jamming

2005 V70 Facelift
I have had the same problem with the seat belts jamming preventing me returning the seat back to the upright position
The nearside seat belt has the button missing, but the off side belt has the button attached but still occasional jams.

Not wanting to fiddle about with a soldering iron fitting a new button, I purchased from Amazon the following

2x Car Seat Belt Adjuster Car Seatbelt Clip Stopper Strap Buckle Comfort Tension for £4.99

I fitted them where the button would have been. Seems to work fine but time will tell

Hopefully should not cause a problem with the MOT
JohnSmith500746 is offline   Reply With Quote