Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Exteremly creaky suspension!

Views : 1043

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 00:45   #1
ramz

Default Exteremly creaky suspension!

Now S60-MBS has told me that i should just jack it up and lube it with some lubrication sealant. at low speeds all you can hear is creak, creak creak, even on roads where theres not many bumps, now as you can imgaine this is rather annoyin!

so if i do what MBS has told me to do, would this cure it. even if temporaly.

does this sound like a case for some new suspension for the car?

and if so, is this expensive?or could i get some failry cheap if any people happen to have some lying around that i could take of there hands?

cheers,

matt
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 02:58   #2
peteS40

Yes you could try some silicone lubricant spray but it would be useful to know what bushes are making the noise. This could be all that is needed if the bushes are just dry, or a temp fix if a little cracked but if they are split or worn down way too much it wouldn't really make any difference I wouldn't think. Do you think it could be the antiroll bar bushes? Try levering against bits of suspension with a large screwdriver or a prybar type thing. Changing the whole suspension sounds a bit of a mare when likely to only be a couple of things wrong. I take it that it creaks if you jump up & down on the back, or push the back left to right, basically anything?

Pete
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 18:17   #3
ebdl
At ease!

Unless your springs are broken or your shock absorbers are worn, you shouldn't need to replace either of those (although it might make a difference to your car's handling). The metal parts of the rest of the suspension (anti-roll bars etc) shouldn't need replacing unless they get damaged or corroded. The kind of problen you're talking about sounds like bushes and S60-MBS is probably right that all you need to do is lubricate them and the creaking will stop. As Pete says, if the bushes are worn or cracked, they'll need replacement.

Ed
ebdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 20:12   #4
ramz

i shall look tonight and try and see,

will put some lube on them tommorrow, hopefully will solve it!

yes pete, it does just creak if you bounce the back end of the car up and down.

are the brushes easy to replace if it is these?

cheers,

matt
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 20:17   #5
S60-MBS
VOC Member

another volvo 440 at work got similar symptoms ramz...i have told her to do same ...although some big garage has told her that her linkages are knackered..i told her to try the lube first and see what happens as silicone lube aint that expensive..her car only creaks at very low speeds..

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=21188

hers the thread i put up for that car..
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 17:54   #6
mollusk
VOC Member

Low speed creaking at the rear, especially if you can hear it when you lightly push up and down on the boot/hatch and it sound as if its coming from just in front of a rear wheel is most likely to be the bottom ball joint/s of the rear anti roll bar link rod/s. The lube dries out and they 'squeak/creak.

Very easy to fix - wheel off, link rod off (17mm spanners for bottom joint, 13mm for top bush bolt). Carefully remove ball joint boot clip (spiral spring), peel back rubber boot and re-lube the joint, re-fit boot,clip, link rod, and wheel - job done.

Mac.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:06   #7
ramz

you make it sound so easy....maybe will try when have spare time...it can just annoy me for a wee while.

cheers anyway