Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 XS - S Reg (1998) - Intermittent power issues

Views : 662

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2015, 16:47   #1
jibbajabbasteve
Steve N

Default Volvo S40 XS - S Reg (1998) - Intermittent power issues

Hi
I have just purchased a Volvo S40 (1998) which has a full service history of yearly MOTs and Services, and passed the last MOT back in October 2014 with no advisories (apparently)
The cars only real 'issue' when I picked it up bar the usual 'wear and tear' was that sometimes, but not always you would have to pump the clutch to settle the gear in first. No other gears have this issue just 1st.

Next MOT is due in a couple of months where I plan of getting another service & MOT done together via a recommended garage.

I got the car on Friday and it has been running ok, engine sounds fine, but every now and again the car feels heavy and seems top lose power. It doesn't lose it completely just seems to have barely anything to give.

I have read over the form and have seen that problems that could cause it are things like the fuel pump and not enough fuel getting through. The problem mainly occurs in lower gears. I had filled up with 'tesco' fuel first off but now reverted to the power max fuel by esso, not sure if it is the fuel but any help would be appreciated. It cost all of £685 so I'm not expecting it to be perfect but when it runs its awesome, but these issues with the 'pickup' on speed are annoying more than anything. The only other thing I think could be the cause would be a sticking brake as before I took it away the garage said they wanted to adjust this. I hope to speak to a friend who runs a recovery firm later but thought I'd ask the experts first for advice rather than 2nd guess. Any ideas where to start?

Thanks
Steve
jibbajabbasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 16:59   #2
coffeejunky
Young Padawan

Welcome
This can be a common issue with these engines as they are particularly fussy and will lose torque randomly over the smallest of things. When they run well, they are fantastic, when they are not quite happy they tend to be reluctant to get away, bordering on stalling. What engine and mileage do you have?

As such, I'd suggest for your next service to fit ONLY Volvo spark plugs and I'd recommend MANN filters. As yours is not a T4 you have the older style coils and HT leads. I'd highly suggest visually inspecting the HT leads for cracks (with the engine OFF) as well as checking the coil packs for any untoward cracking or signs of overheating. If they need replacing, only use Volvo parts.

I wouldn't jump to fueling straight away as a good service helps. However the Volvo service interval for the fuel filter is too long IMO. So even with full service history you could be running a 7 year old fuel filter that has done 70k miles. It is an easy job, I recommend Hengst, Bosch, Mann and Volvo fuel filters.

These cars seem to prefer non-supermarket fuel, but we may be straying into the placebo zone here.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 17:03   #3
jibbajabbasteve
Steve N

Sorry just to confirm this is the 1.6 petrol engine and S40 XS and t has only done 44,250 miles in the 17 years. The garage believe the cam belt was done around 5 years back but no logs of it
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 17:06   #4
jibbajabbasteve
Steve N

That's great thanks.
Trying to get ahead of the MOT in October, so will take a look. Yes I noticed that non-Volvo parts are definitely a no-go.
Thanks will start with the above then
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 17:14   #5
jibbajabbasteve
Steve N

Default possibly located issue

I think I have now located the issue and believe the problem to actually be with the front left brake pad/disc.
The problem is intermittent but seemed to happen at similar times in the afternoon. In a morning heading to work even mid morning all ok, late afternoon I'd have the issue then leaving work on an evening all back to normal.
I think with the hot weather the discs are expanding and don't have enough round between the disc and the wheel

I am taking this to the garage tomorrow but thanks for all the help as I will also be looking at replacing the other listed things over the next 12 months as a precautionary measure as well with it been an S reg and only doing 44000 miles I figured it will be worth the investment.

Tags
engine, power, sluggish