Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Avin a larf ???

Views : 2336

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 11:23   #31
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

I’ve said this loads of times before but a car isn’t worth what you think it’s worth. It’s worth what someone is willing to pay money for.

EBay is always going to be the lowest as more often than not you can’t view the car if it’s not local and you’re taking a chance so bids aren’t ever going to be that high.

Yes there are some chancers out there (and the OP example is one of them) but if you’ve got a nice condition car there’s no reason why you can’t ask for a decent amount for it - if someone happily pays you then theres no way someone can successfully argue “it’s not worth that”.

There’s not a hope in the world I’m selling my 940 for £900.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 12:00   #32
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
I’ve said this loads of times before but a car isn’t worth what you think it’s worth. It’s worth what someone is willing to pay money for.

EBay is always going to be the lowest as more often than not you can’t view the car if it’s not local and you’re taking a chance so bids aren’t ever going to be that high.

Yes there are some chancers out there (and the OP example is one of them) but if you’ve got a nice condition car there’s no reason why you can’t ask for a decent amount for it - if someone happily pays you then theres no way someone can successfully argue “it’s not worth that”.

There’s not a hope in the world I’m selling my 940 for £900.
Agree entirely ! I wouldnt sell mine for £900 either. I also wouldnt try and sell it for 6.5k

What annoys me more about these ridiculous prices is that loads of other people start to follow suit !
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 13:33   #33
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Agree entirely ! I wouldnt sell mine for £900 either. I also wouldnt try and sell it for 6.5k

What annoys me more about these ridiculous prices is that loads of other people start to follow suit !
That's the real problem here Mark, it's the people that try and jump on the bandwagon think that because a handful of truly outstanding cars have sold for a high price, ALL examples of the model or similar are therefore worth the same.
I'd love to think my 760 is worth £6500 but i know full well it isn't, perhaps £3-4k on a really good day but realistically more like £2-2.5k when it's all cleaned and polished. In its present dirty state probably sub-£1000 but even that is more than i gave for it.
However i have seen some similar examples, some with low mileage (under 100k) and some with similar mileage (currently 230k on mine) all being offered for sale at upwards of £4500. I've also seen similar cars sell on ebay between £1600 and £3400 hence my assessment that realistically mine is in the £2-2.5k area.

Going slightly off at a tangent, it's not just the Volvo 7/9xx range where prices have shot up. Over the past few years i've been keeping an eye on the price of Lexus LS400s and a couple or 3 years back you could pick up a nice one with full MoT and an LPG conversion for under a grand.
Now even cars without an MoT have starting bids of a grand!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165210327107

Conversely the cheapest i can find with an MoT (until Oct next year) is £2250 :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133954076333

There are of course other examples of other marques showing highly increased prices, i just happened to be following the price trend on the LS400 so was able to comment specifically on them, as well as Volvos (7/9xx) both of which have shown similar trends.

I blame it all on the Kung Flu!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 13:39   #34
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

I've noticed the same thing with the LS400. You now need to pay three times what an LS430 costs. Why? The later car is demonstrably a better vehicle. But the 400's better looking.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 13:57   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
I've noticed the same thing with the LS400. You now need to pay three times what an LS430 costs. Why? The later car is demonstrably a better vehicle. But the 400's better looking.
I certainly agree the 400 is much better looking and i would say arguably the 430 is a better car - arguably because on paper it does many things the 400 doesn't and of those that the 400 does, the 430 does them better. Allegedly anyway.

Of course, in a fully working example of either car, those things will be as the factory intended so your word of demostrably applies better than my arguably.

However, factor in that many owners wouldn't notice (or worse still, not care) that something isn't working as it should and therefore just leave it, with less to go wrong on the 400 then arguably it's less to fix and therefore the better vehicle.

It's a very fine line between the two though and the 430 has things like VVT-i, a 5-speed auto i believe instead of the earlier 4-speed AW7x as fitted to many of our Volvos but branded as Toyota A340E and several other improvements over the 400.

If the VVT-i is playing up or the later gearbox isn't doing what it should, chances are you need the genuine Toyota/Lexus software to interrogate the ECUs to find out what's going on. Not quite so bad with the more basic 400. All swings and roundabouts really and down to personal taste and pocket as to which you might buy if you were to buy one.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote