Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 XC Advice

Views : 665

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 19:49   #1
Mono

Default V70 XC Advice

Hi All

I've just been to look at a 1998 V70 XC manual as a possible replacement for my 250k 850 that I'm considering retiring. First impressions are that it looks good and engine seems sweet. It's done 120k with service history. I've haven't driven it yet - planning to go back & do that next week.

Does anyone have any advice about anything in particular I should be looking at on this - eg. AWD system, turbo etc.

Any comments/advice would be appreciated - thanks
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 00:02   #2
demonicwillow
yer-tis !

Red face

Make sure you check the AWD is working, when I bought mine (850 AWD) I didnt realise it wasnt working, got well ripped off, I assumed that because it was driving brilliantly that it was working, couldnt be more wrong, only found out when I went to get the daughter from school and parked on a very wet grass verge, went to drive off and just sat there with massive wheel spin and mud up the side of the car, get it on wet grass or put it on a ramp in a garage with the wheels hanging in free air, and put it in gear 1st or 2nd and give it about 1500 rpm and pull the handbrake on the rear wheels should still drive, unlike mine, the car was doing about 50 theoretically hanging in mid air, pulled on hbrake and rear wheels just stopped dead.
The correct way to check it is to jack up front nearside off the ground, get a torque wrench set to 36 ft/lbs I think, I'll double check, put the wrench on a wheel nut and in the forward direction the wrench should click before it starts to turn the wheel, and then it should feel stiff.
Sorry for long reply.

Dmw

PS, If you go any slower, you'll pass yourself on the way back!!
demonicwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 13:33   #3
Mono

Thanks for the advice. I've been advised against the AWD by a couple of people. Does anyone know how reliable (or troublesome) the volvo awd system is?

Jase
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 22:18   #4
demonicwillow
yer-tis !

As long as its working then no problems, they are prone on the V70 R AWD to stripping the crown and pinion in the transfer case, but only at high mileage and if its been wellied alot, but even then you can have it taken off with the propshaft and drive it as a conventional 2 wheel drive.
I love em!!

dmw

PS, If you go any slower, you'll pass yourself on the way back!!
demonicwillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:26   #5
GEORGEROV
GEORGEROV

Cool

Hi Jase, Got an xc with 130,000 when bought by my wife and was sweet as a nut, but since then!. Just about only thing that hasn't been replaced is transfer box and now that looks suspect!. She's done 15000 since she bought it and is not a hard driver. We've also had a Merc 4-matic for the last 3 years (which always had a dodgy reputation), but it ain't been the trouble the XC has. Beware!.
GEORGEROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 23:48   #6
daren1

hello ,iv'e been reading up on some of the reply's and i'm afraid i'd have to agree with using caution whenit come's to the volvo awd , iv'e had my 1999 v70 xc (cross country) about 7months , for the first 3 months it was a realy smooth ride , but after towing my caravan for about 130 miles it now drive's like iv'e actually been across the country direct !
first i had noise coming from the front of the propshaft (sounded like a balance weight on the prop hitting the exaust ) it turned out both cv joint's and the centre bearing were shot. i used to make propshafts for a living so i managed to get a replacement made for £360 brand new (favor from old boss) but it's been back twice to have the balance checked. now iv'e found both rear half shafts are worn , the conecting flanges from the rear axle both ocilate in the axle box when i pull the shafts in a circular motion without them turning in there driving direction. one of my front drive shafts has got a dry gaitor , ive got a power take up knock from the transfer box.
when i drive away and put the car under load it doesn't seem to bad till i get to about 65mph but if i drive steady it vibrates at 30 - 40 mph and then drones through the entire car from 65 - 75mph like the wheels need balancing. there's also a lot of road noise from about 30 mph upwards.
i paid £3,700 for 112,000 miles and i'm gutted , it feels like a £500 car i had to sell stuff to pay for the prop and i dredd to think how much it'll cost to put right. it's also gone from 26-28 mpg to 20 , iv'e serviced it and to start with it's great but then it seems to loose about 30% of power till i clean up the plugs/dist,cap/arm. oh thats the other problem , haynes book doesn't cover the awd , and most car shops will tell you volvo only parts!
hope this helps as a review , if anyone an help with these props ,exellent . don't get me wrong i love this car and will spend to get it right , but i'm loosing faith as to where, and how much? right will be! lol
thanks
Daren.
daren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 20:32   #7
sarge
Master Member

I had a '99 V70 AWD and it was a fantastic car. However I did have to replace the transfer box at c110,000 miles - and the car was very well looked after and not abused. The AWD system in the classic V70s is apparently quite a weak part but when it's working it is effective. Replacement of the transfer box is in the order of £1000.

Sarge
C30 T5
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote