Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

my friend is buying a t5 as a track car

Views : 1146

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2013, 07:57   #1
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default my friend is buying a t5 as a track car

Which engine is better to tune the me7 t5 or the earlier type
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:49   #2
Axionknight
Premier Member

They are the same essentially, unless you are going for monster power as the dizzy cap and rotor arm of the pre ME7 models can only cope with smaller (but still good) gains. If your looking at anything larger than a 19T turbo I'd suggest he looks for an ME7 car. The bores on a pre ME7 car will also likely be more worn as they used different piston rings, can't remember when the change from one type to the other happened.

Is he rebuilding the engine??
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 17:41   #3
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Tim Williams 850 is pushing out over 400bhp, with a rotor arm/dizzy cap...

The me7 T5 does come with a better exhaust manifold, better turbo exhaust side & downpipe, and variable valve timing on the exhaust cam which all go to improve performance. The engine management is also better in that the protection measures can better protect the engine from blowing up. However they can suffer from cracked heads around the spark plug holes, the electronic throttle is also prone to failure.

Pre me7 has the traditional cable throttle which is much more reliable than the me7 etm and at £35 for a new cable is cheaper to fix as well. All the good ancillary bits from the me7 cars can be bolted on.

Maybe an idea would be to go to some meets, particularly the T5D5 castle Combe track day, to look at the different engines and chat with the owners.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 13:24   #4
thealchemyst
Master Member

On a slightly different note if its going to be used purely as a trackday car I would suggest a gearbox swap from a 2ltr model as they have a lower final drive more suited to track work than the standard t5 box
And it would give an acceleration advantage before even starting to tune the engine.
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 14:40   #5
RiPsTa33
Trader

Has he bought one yet?