Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wrong plugs given on T5 can I get them exchanged?

Views : 580

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2022, 22:40   #1
jasonc46

Default Wrong plugs given on T5 can I get them exchanged?

Recently I ordered some spark plugs for me volvo v70 t5 mk2 2007 and was told these plugs are correct.
DENSO Iridium TT Spark Plug - IK20TT - Single Plug x 5
But when I put them in I noticed they were actually shorter then the old plugs I tool out which had this lettering ILFR6B which I Believe are these
NGK ILFR6B (6481) - Laser Iridium Spark Plug / Sparkplug - Platinum Ground Electrode.

Basically since the plug change there is a warning message - engine not fully functioning - or something like that and car is hard to start but it does run okayish when warm.

Can I claim from https://www.opieoils.co.uk/ because a customer agent assured me these plugs were correct? The only problem is the plugs have been in the car? I would like them to replace the plugs with the correct NGK Plugs is it a realistic ask or have I just lost £50?
jasonc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 07:21   #2
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Opie oils list the incorrect ATF fluid for my Volvo. And they list 7l of oil for my engine oil service.

My second car uses 0W-20 but Opie list 5W-30.

That said, I only ever hear very positive things about Opie oils and as such I use them.

Opie had the identical plugs to Suzuki at £31 rather than £50… and Opie currently have a 15% sale.

I placed my order and was most impressed with all service.

I therefore would say the following:
1. Cross reference each item on Opie to the OEM suppliers part no.
2. I would imagine you won’t have issue here.

I would be really interested in hearing how you get on?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 09:16   #3
TLPower

They have sent you the plugs for the 2.3T5, the correct, longer plugs are the same ones listed for the "R".

Their mistake in sending you the incorrect plugs, if you still have the old longer plugs I would refit them as soon as possible or don't use the car. The short plugs will leave the lower threads exposed which could result in damage to the threads.
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 10:20   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPower View Post
They have sent you the plugs for the 2.3T5, the correct, longer plugs are the same ones listed for the "R".

Their mistake in sending you the incorrect plugs, if you still have the old longer plugs I would refit them as soon as possible or don't use the car. The short plugs will leave the lower threads exposed which could result in damage to the threads.
That is a very good point regarding the threads. In essence is they are exposed (I don’t know enogh to know if they would be) then you hVe and electro discharge spark eroder in the block. Accordingly yes I would not use the vehicle with the incorrect plugs.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 13:46   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLPower View Post
short plugs will leave the lower threads exposed which could result in damage to the threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
electro discharge spark erosion
POSSIBLE head damage.
There is also a significant risk that the rate of heat dissipation via the plug will be reduced that heat is absorbed by the exposed threads as the spark isn't being produced at the intended point.

The result may well reduce the burn rate of the fuel/air mix in that it is being initiated at the wrong point in the cam timing cycle; it could cause the engine to run colder due to incomplete burn of the fuel/air mix which leads to fuel wash down causing excessive bore wear.

Whilst the spark occurs at the right time, the initiation point of ignition is too far above the piston crown; OK only a micro second difference, but that microsecond can causes petrol/diesel to wash down the bores, passing the oil control rings which leads to poor starting due to lower compression.

The exposed threads are more easily contaminated with partial burn products "coke" ie hard carbon deposits which will then be dumped on the piston crown and can end up trapped above the uppermost piston ring when you put the correct length plugs back in; whilst most of that debris will be swept out on start-up there remains the possibility of bore scoring in extreme circumstances - I would strongly advise that you do not run the engine further without re-installing either the old or the correct plugs and would further recommend that you use a heavily greased plug thread tap to ensure that as little as possible of the debris ends up in the bores.

Via email inform the supplier of their incorrectly supplied parts asap, cc or bcc it your email address; in that email ask them to record your advice to them and acknowledge receipt of the email, or using a text which will indicate receipt by supplier.

If damage does occur, go back to the supplier and inform them of the outcome of their advice having causing damage - they will have a record of any telephone advice given with which they are obliged to supply you upon request, similarly they may not delete such recordings under UK data protection laws neither may they delete same under civil law which the buyer/seller agrees to under on-line contract sale; you may also have a record in terms of an on-line chat record emailed to you by the seller. If you have bought the plugs using a credit card you may have redress via the Credit Act depending upon the total amount spent with the supplier at the time.

IMHO - best advice - when it comes to plugs.....only ever buy and install Volvo OEM plugs from a Volvo dealer e.g. FRF and you won't hit the problems you've encountered, plus with the discount FRF offer by quoting "C" genuine Volvo plugs are little more expansive in the short term and much more economically effective in the long-term.

I've been buying Volvo parts from FRF since 2008 and they have always got it right.

NB I don't work for FRF but have the utmost trust and faith in them to get it right every time.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Sep 13th, 2022 at 14:14.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 14:39   #6
VroomVroomClonk

I also have a 2.4 T5, and I have just now put my registration number into the Opie website and been told the shorter plugs are correct, which they definitely are NOT. See attached photo for proof that Opie are incorrectly recommending the shorter plugs.

I suggest you refer them to my link below, point out that their website is incorrect and tell them that you want to swap their incorrect plugs for the longer ones. Personally I've never bought spark plugs from Opie, but I have bought many, many gallons of oil from them over the years and I've always found them to be very helpful.

This is how I found for certain that the short plugs are incorrect -
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273646
Attached Images
File Type: gif Opie T5 spark plugs B5244.gif (31.6 KB, 7 views)
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 16:01   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VroomVroomClonk View Post
I also have a 2.4 T5, and I have just now put my registration number into the Opie website and been told the shorter plugs are correct, which they definitely are NOT. See attached photo for proof that Opie are incorrectly recommending the shorter plugs.

I suggest you refer them to my link below, point out that their website is incorrect and tell them that you want to swap their incorrect plugs for the longer ones. Personally I've never bought spark plugs from Opie, but I have bought many, many gallons of oil from them over the years and I've always found them to be very helpful.

This is how I found for certain that the short plugs are incorrect -
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273646
Currently using Millers 0W40 to clear the detritus/garbage left by repeated dealer pumped changes with the previous owner, a Volvo main Dealer had clearly failed to do filter changes and also failed to refill the oil to the correct level at the last service @ 470 miles from the previous service the oil was just on the lower end of the chequered strip FFS - given Opie's dodgy plug recommendation I might well reconsider the oil spec - My 2004 2.3 T5 with 121k on the clock uses around 200ml/2000 miles of Millers 0W40 - I used to use MANNOL Extreme 5W40 SL/CF in my previous V70 which with moon mileage (245K miles when sold) sounded like a well-oiled sewing machine and used no oil between 3Kmile oil changes.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Sep 13th, 2022 at 16:04.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 22:07   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

long plugs - grey coil plug connectors (later 2.0T, and T5)

short plugs = black (pre facelift)
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote