Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to do with dads K reg 940

Views : 981

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2023, 22:36   #1
MKY73

Default What to do with dads K reg 940

Hi,

We need to decide what to do with my dads K reg Volvo 940 and all sorts of parts, which include a pair of doors which he intended to put on the car. It’s important to us that we do the right thing with her as it’s not an exaggeration to say he loved the car more than his family, probably because she give him less trouble!

The car was definitely still a work in progress, but she passed her last MOT which was about November and dad was still tinkering in December before he became too unwell. There’s very very detailed history of everything that’s been done since dad got her. I know photos and more detailed information on the car itself is needed but I’m just trying to get ideas, it would break my heart to think she would end up in a crusher, used as a donor car would be ok but all the cold hours and love he gave have to count for something.
MKY73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MKY73 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 05:40   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Keep it and use it as a car for weekends and holidays etc, you'll fall in love with it if you drive it
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 09:48   #3
MKY73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Keep it and use it as a car for weekends and holidays etc, you'll fall in love with it if you drive it
Hi Steve, I already love it but unfortunately due to health reasons I need my automatic (2011 XC70 AWD D5) and I can’t do the running maintenance on dads. Plus the other problem is I can’t afford to run two diesels especially their yearly VED.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 13:43   #4
MKY73

***Sorry my mistake my dads car isn’t diesel it’s petrol.

I can’t reply to direct messages as I’ve not reached 30 postings yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MKY73 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 14:29   #5
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

It seems as if you've decided to sell the car, especially if it can go to a good home. Why not start with the minimum price you'd need to let it go? If that fits with what you can find out about today's market, you can then post more details here as a 'for sale' thread.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 18:42   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
It seems as if you've decided to sell the car, especially if it can go to a good home. Why not start with the minimum price you'd need to let it go? If that fits with what you can find out about today's market, you can then post more details here as a 'for sale' thread.
Nicely put, 'W.S.'. Aware of the sensitive nature of this thread, I hesitated from posting, but interested parties would need to know as a minimum if the car is a saloon or estate, manual or automatic and, although we now know that it is a petrol, the precise engine variant. Good quality pictures are always useful / highly desirable to intending purchasers.

If I lived nearer to 'MKY73', I would offer to look at the car for him and advise / assist with a suitable 'For Sale' ad., etc., if he felt that it would help. Perhaps some kind-hearted member living locally to him might be prepared to do the same? It would be good if this thread could be speedily brought to a successful conclusion and the car to live on both as a tribute to his late Father and a source of pleasure for the new owner.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 18:51   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKY73 View Post
***Sorry my mistake my dads car isn’t diesel it’s petrol.

I can’t reply to direct messages as I’ve not reached 30 postings yet.
If it helps, 'MKY73', you can get your post count increased upon request to enable you to use the 'Private Message' facility. Application may be made via the Forum User's Support thread, which is located towards the bottom of the opening page when you first log on.

Regards, John.
Old May 8th, 2023, 15:50   #8
MKY73

Thank you all for your replies and advice.

In an ideal world I’d be able to keep dads car and carry on his work but I can’t, while she sits on the drive all the work he did is being undone and that upsets me. I don’t know how the forum works exactly but I know dad was on here a lot, he was Ian21401

I’ll get one of his maintenance note books out as he recorded everything, up to February this year. In December he was still working on her, she’s not a shiny polished beauty but he loved her.

Until I get her exact details and photos (I’m trying to work and do all the things needed when someone dies) the car is K Reg, petrol, manual, estate and as dad would say, “one of the last rear wheel drive Volvos” .

There’s an Aladdin’s cave of parts from doors and wheels to tiny parts. Some of the bits are still in sealed Volvo packaging from February.

I’m Kate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MKY73 For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2023, 00:03   #9
Cypher007
Master Member

my Dad was in a similar position with a 940. he sold it on Gumtree for £500. yours sounds like it needs far less doing to it. he also managed to sell it to someone who says there going to do it up. so win win.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote