Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 603839

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2016, 14:25   #1101
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
Also I was told I have the latest permanent fix that was bought about after Volvo did extensive road testing, how many times do I need to accept this lie?
Sorry to hear about your continued problems. Dealers do themselves no favours at all by talking b*llsh*t like that to fob people off.

When I had my second replacement done in February this year, at least the dealer had the courage to say that they knew it wasn't THE permanent fix, and that they were not sure when they would apply the permanent fix when it was available - i.e. at a scheduled service, etc.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 15:53   #1102
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
My light just came back on today, will call Volvo assist in the week and see what they diagnose.
Then I'll pursue the credit company to reject the car, as this will be the fourth repair in 18 months.

Been driving it hard since last repair, now need another set on front tyres because of this, only run on premium fuel. And do roughly 2000-2500 miles a month.
Managed nearly exactly 10,000 miles this time.

Also I was told I have the latest permanent fix that was bought about after Volvo did extensive road testing, how many times do I need to accept this lie?

Obviously the light could be unrelated to the EGR
The permanent fix has only been on line for a couple of weeks so anything they did before this they must have known was NOT the final fix .How many times have they told this lie ? Give it a go with the final fix you are so close it would be a waste to reject it now ..

Yes the light could well be something else like a temperature sensor ...
Old May 15th, 2016, 16:12   #1103
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The permanent fix has only been on line for a couple of weeks so anything they did before this they must have known was NOT the final fix .How many times have they told this lie ? Give it a go with the final fix you are so close it would be a waste to reject it now ..

Yes the light could well be something else like a temperature sensor ...
Always been Oxygen sensors in my case.
Needed to be cleaned.
In the early days, they used to replace them.

tem.
Old May 15th, 2016, 17:31   #1104
Marc01

Clan, I had been told I was going to have the final fix applied by the Volvo master technician who came to my car from Volvo HQ (not Allianz Volvo Assist) and by Squire Fenaux in Maidenhead just a few Mike down the road from Volvo UK.

Previous fix I was told it was down to leaking EGR coolers which were sorted now.
The most recent fix I was told was a complete redesign to alter how the gas is cooler to avoid condensation along with software update.

Again it could be a sensor issue throwing the light but some how I doubt it, thing is every time my EGR system was serviced under warranty the sensors were also logged as being cleaned in the service report, so surely failing sensors is also a reliability issue?
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2016, 18:42   #1105
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Clan, I had been told I was going to have the final fix applied by the Volvo master technician who came to my car from Volvo HQ (not Allianz Volvo Assist) and by Squire Fenaux in Maidenhead just a few Mike down the road from Volvo UK.

Previous fix I was told it was down to leaking EGR coolers which were sorted now.
The most recent fix I was told was a complete redesign to alter how the gas is cooler to avoid condensation along with software update.

Again it could be a sensor issue throwing the light but some how I doubt it, thing is every time my EGR system was serviced under warranty the sensors were also logged as being cleaned in the service report, so surely failing sensors is also a reliability issue?
They probably said too much really, hearsay stuff . The excess soot wouldn't do the sensors any good .
Just give it one more go , the final fix is new water hoses to re route the coolant flow Presumably to heat up the egr cooler quicker . They were right in saying it was being tested since late last year so we must believe the problem is over now and can get to enjoy what is a fabulous engine .
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:34   #1106
tem
Premier Member

Car goes in on Thursday to get latest mods done to EGR valve/cooler.
Let us hope that Volvo have got it right, this time.

Overnight stay in workshop, as service and repair to wing mirror, also getting done.

tem.

Last edited by tem; May 17th, 2016 at 10:37. Reason: Text.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 10:44   #1107
tem
Premier Member

Forgot to say, it has taken over a month since authorised to get the parts required for the EGR mods.

tem.
Old May 17th, 2016, 13:29   #1108
sea vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea vagabond View Post
Just over a year old and 14,000 miles on the clock and the warning light appeared (after just being serviced!). Booked it into Mill Volvo, Knaresborough and the light promptly went out. Still took it in to be investigated and they confirm that the valve needs changing but unable to do the work as the parts are on back order. They will book me in once they receive them.
On Sunday the car was sluggish. Yesterday my wife struggled to get it out of the drive which is on a slight incline - it just kept stalling. After phoning the dealer we were advised to get Volvo Assist to recover the car to them. Incidentally they now have the parts to enable them to fix the problem. The car was taken away on a tow truck and a loan car was delivered yesterday evening. I was very impressed with the way the situation was handled by Volvo Assist. I suspect we have now jumped the queue to have our car fixed although it suits the dealer that we have now got a loan car for the next 3 days which takes the pressure of them.
Old May 17th, 2016, 13:45   #1109
apsel

When the turtle/tortoise appeared I phoned the dealer and the car was booked in to have the necessary parts replaced last Friday. I was told they had only just received a stock of the new parts that week including "the new pipework". I got the car back later that day. There is no noticable difference in performance. No warning lights or symbols though. I guess time will tell.

I did get a free Valet for my troubles though - never seen the car so clean, since I bought it!
Old May 17th, 2016, 16:41   #1110
AngloScot
Master Member

Sounds like Volvo are getting their act together. All round good news!