Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cosmetic and GAP insurance

Views : 1268

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2018, 21:43   #1
Fitzchiv

Default Cosmetic and GAP insurance

D(4) day is rapidly approaching, I collect my new XC60 on Saturday morning and had put the aftercare product brochures to the back of my mind until this evening when, whilst touching up paint chips on my current car before selling it, my neighbour asked if anything had happened to my car recently - turns out someone has deliberately scratched theirs, and put nails in two tyres. All whilst parked 5 ft from mine.

It's made me re-consider cosmetic insurance definitely (the scratch, not the tyres). I've had the AutoTrust brochure from Volvo to consider in advance - but wondered if anyone had experience with another firms cover and could recommend?
Fitzchiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 23:31   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

Never heard of them. Googled them and this jumped out.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=au...ru_q:AutoTrust
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 09:32   #3
gmk666

I got free Cosmetic and Alloy insurance with AutoTrust GAP cover. I claimed via their app within a few months of taking it out, after finding a scrape on the wheel arch in a car park. Their customer service is a bit slow, and it took a few weeks to get the work done, but I can't fault the quality of it. They use Dent Wizards.

One thing to bear in mind if you're worried about the car being keyed is that there's a limit to what these mobile guys can do (and what AutoTrust will protect you against). They won't repair scratches over a certain length for example. If you're really worried, it might be worth looking for an insurer who'll let you claim for vandalism without affecting your NCD?
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 13:19   #4
karlak

Just check the policy details closely.

I had a policy "thrown in" on an Audi A4 Avant I had, which was damaged when a cowl from a chimney came loose and landed in the middle of the bonnet. House insurance didn't want to know and I didn't want to claim on the car insurance and lose no claims.

No bother I thought I can use the damage insurance. Tried to claim, but they refused as the size of the panel was "too large". Turns out they only repair corners of the car and areas where they can smart repair - they wouldn't cover roof, doors, wings, boot panel. Seemed a bit of a con to me and I would have been furious if I had paid for the policy.

Not saying they are all like that, just be sure to ask or check the policy wording before paying for the policy.

G Reg 240 GL Estate automatic.
karlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:21   #5
Fitzchiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk666 View Post
I got free Cosmetic and Alloy insurance with AutoTrust GAP cover. I claimed via their app within a few months of taking it out, after finding a scrape on the wheel arch in a car park. Their customer service is a bit slow, and it took a few weeks to get the work done, but I can't fault the quality of it. They use Dent Wizards.

One thing to bear in mind if you're worried about the car being keyed is that there's a limit to what these mobile guys can do (and what AutoTrust will protect you against). They won't repair scratches over a certain length for example. If you're really worried, it might be worth looking for an insurer who'll let you claim for vandalism without affecting your NCD?
Cheers, good to know re: AutoTrust. I'm not specifically worried about it being keyed - it's not happened so far - but it brought home that actually if something did happen, accidental or otherwise, I'd be a bit gutted and this would be peace of mind. I've read the AutoTrust stuff and yeh they're quite specific in what they cover but I guess between than and a full policy my bases are covered for various types and sizes of damage.

What's interesting is the GAP brochure, also AutoTrust, I was given doesn't say anything about free Cosmetic and Alloy inclusive - I'll be pushing for that!
Fitzchiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 14:41   #6
gmk666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzchiv View Post
What's interesting is the GAP brochure, also AutoTrust, I was given doesn't say anything about free Cosmetic and Alloy inclusive - I'll be pushing for that!
Ha! I just wanted GAP and told the salesman I'd get it from him if he threw in the Cosmetic and Alloy cover. Don't ask; don't get.
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 15:57   #7
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
Just to let you know that we offer a product called Total Loss protection. Whilst it's not exactly the same as your traditional GAP insurance we feel for some customers it can make a cost effective alternative.
Please feel free to take a look if you wish.
https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/extras/total-loss/
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 16:21   #8
tails

Default re dan

are you also on the bmw gs,er site dan ? or one of your colleagues ?
tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 16:45   #9
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
are you also on the bmw gs,er site dan ? or one of your colleagues ?
Which sites do you mean exactly? We feature on over 300 forums.

Regards
Dan
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:55   #10
encroute

Dan, I did try calling, got the "Overflow Service" that wouldn't take a number - how pointless is that?

Website callback request won't allow me to select same day (Or to be precise, won't allow the time to change from 9:00, which is, obviously, invalid for today)!

Perhaps you can answer online - do you cover leased cars (i.e. not registered owner) as the Cosmetic insurance above does not?

AH: Just remembered it's Sunday... :-0
I'll try again tomorrow!

Last edited by encroute; Jul 29th, 2018 at 14:09. Reason: Update
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote