Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wife wants a runabout, 1800 es??

Views : 1992

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 23:57   #1
Pretty240

Default Wife wants a runabout, 1800 es??

Hi,

My wife's been driving a mini for years but now we have a little one she's looking for something larger but still interesting. As a long time 2 series fan I'm chuffed that she's fallen for a 1800 es but I don't know much about them.

Do you think it's practical as an everyday runaround and what are the faults that I should look out for?

Any input would be welcome.

Cheers
Pretty240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 00:04   #2
Steve and his 244
VOC Member

Not that im an expert, but from what ive read - rust along the tops of the front wings, there is a water trap there. Filler in this area/sills/around headlights/scuttle panel etc.

The rear hatch seals are pretty prone to leaking too.

Generally check all around for rust including underneath, even lift up the carpets and have a peek.

The rear seats arent suitable for anyone bigger than a toddler really, and to say its an estate car it hasnt got the most wonderful load capacity.

Restoration is quite difficult because non of the panels (other than the doors, obviously) are bolt on - they are welded and lead loaded so replacing say a front wing is quite a complicated job.
2003 titanium grey V70R auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john h
That Steve is a very bad influence.
Steve and his 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 09:22   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Mechanicaly there is nothing to worry about with the 1800. As steve has pointed out rust is the big problem and most of teh reapir panels are expensive. They are not the most practical car as they are only a 2 + 2 with minimal load space.

The amazon makes a much more practical daily run about with the 131 offering some more modern features. The amazon in slaoon form has quite a good load space and in estate form offers massive load space. Fuel consumption is quite good ranging from abot 28 - 35 mpg when driven normaly. I do know someone with an estate that gets over 45 mpg on a run but that car is set up for economy.

If your heart is set on the P1800es then go for but be prepered to spend out on bodywork at some stage.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:54   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Find someone who will let her have a drive of one first. If she can cope with the heavy steering and is willing to live with it long term, then start looking around for a good car. A Mini it isn't!
Electric power steering, available for about £1250, will solve the steering problem but has to be added to the budget.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 19:33   #5
amazondean
amazondean

Well it will be far safer to be in than a mini, but i am afraid i am not convinced these 1800's are an every day car unless like has already been said that you are prepared for big bills. They just weren't built like the amazon. My personal choice is to keep the 1800's for sunday best and taking the secretary on holiday. They are fabulously good looking cars so i can see the attraction. But for me they are being ruined by people trying to live through rose tinted glasses and when the novelty wears off they leave a car requiring a full rebuild.
Go with your heart or use your head. The choice is yours
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 21:53   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Find someone who will let her have a drive of one first. If she can cope with the heavy steering and is willing to live with it long term, then start looking around for a good car. A Mini it isn't!
Electric power steering, available for about £1250, will solve the steering problem but has to be added to the budget.
A mini is pretty much as heavy as a amazon / p1800 provided it is set up correctly.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:54   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Smile 1800es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty240 View Post
Hi,

My wife's been driving a mini for years but now we have a little one she's looking for something larger but still interesting. As a long time 2 series fan I'm chuffed that she's fallen for a 1800 es but I don't know much about them.

Do you think it's practical as an everyday runaround and what are the faults that I should look out for?

Any input would be welcome.

Cheers

Having owned an 1800ES, the answers to your two questions in order are first: No. The 1800ES looks great, but it is far from practical as an everyday car. My Mrs (her previous Volvos included a 360, two 240s and at present S70) hated my ES, and wouldn't even get in it!

Second: Rust, bodged repairs and the fuel injection system. I wouldn't say don't have one, but save it for lazy summer Sundays. For practical, interesting, quirky and cheap think 480, for practical, quirky, interesting and classic, think Amazon estate.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Nov 6th, 2009 at 12:57.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 13:46   #8
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
for practical, quirky, interesting and classic, think Amazon estate.
Sadly this still applies just as much with Amazon estates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Rust, bodged repairs
Whilst not as rot prone as an 1800, last time I checked, there are no Amazon estate specific panels available with the exception of a mudflap bracket (LH side only...) and the rear suspension spring cups, with the result that far too many cars have been very heavily bodged.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 07:29   #9
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Sadly this still applies just as much with Amazon estates:

Whilst not as rot prone as an 1800, last time I checked, there are no Amazon estate specific panels available with the exception of a mudflap bracket (LH side only...) and the rear suspension spring cups, with the result that far too many cars have been very heavily bodged.

222s, as you obviously no most panels for the estate are the same as the saloon. The rear tailgates do rot very badley but usualy in the same places. they can be repaired as they tend only to rot along the bottom while the rest of the tailgates are rust free never mind any rot and decent ones that only require small repairs do come up for sale for little money. The rear wheel arches which can rot badley are the same as the saloon.

I think what makes the amazon a better bet regarding rust is the galvanised sills which stops any rust spreading and causing major work. The amount of amazons i have seen for sale that are still original and perfect underneath is quite remarkable

I have looked at many amazons and 1800's of all guises for sale. I have found that every single 1800 i have looked at has been heavily bodged all over, with the exception of one. Some of the amazons have also been bodged but not in the same way and i have stripped and sold parts off amazons that some people would have attempted to restore.
Many amazons that appear rough on photos, on close inspection can actualy be better than they look. 1800's have always been far worse and in my opinion are only fit for parts, yet people are still paying top money for what i can see as a pile of scrap. There are plenty of good solid amazons out there for sale that will solder on for years as every day runarounds. I haven't seen a single 1800 that would be capable of one winter without major work at the end of it.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 12:44   #10
PaulWphoto
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
There are plenty of good solid amazons out there for sale that will solder on for years as every day runarounds. I haven't seen a single 1800 that would be capable of one winter without major work at the end of it.
Well you are clearly not looking in the right places. I'm afraid that I find Amazondean's comments rather insulting as I am sure do quite a few other 1800 owners.

I have used my 1800 every day through all sorts of inclement weather conditions and I am happy to say that it does not require any more work than would be expected of a car of this age - and no I am not talking about a rebuild or welding work of any kind - just maintenance.

The fact that the Amazon benefits from galvanised sills is clearly an advantage but does not mean that cars without this are going to fall apart after a shower. I find that the use of waxoyl or something similar in the cavities of the bodywork tends to stop rust from occurring along with regular inspection of drain holes and the condition of the underside of the body.

Using an 1800 on a daily basis is no different to using any other classic car providing you find one that has been rebuilt to a good standard or even better - rebuild it yourself so that you will know that the work has been done properly.

Obviously it would be better for any classic to be kept in a garage overnight but this is not always possible and indeed my 1800 had to spend last winter outside under a car cover. Guess what - come spring time it was still in one piece!

If you know these cars and where problems are likely to occur it is a relatively simple task to ensure that the problems do not arise in the first place.

Owning and regularly using an 1800 is a pleasure that becomes a way of life after a while. I can't imagine having to spend every day driving one of the soul-less uninspiring products that are available today.
PaulWphoto is offline   Reply With Quote