Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005- V70 D5 185bhp valve rockers

Views : 5059

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2017, 23:07   #1
sv70

Default 2005- V70 D5 185bhp valve rockers

Hi,would anybody happen to know the likelyhood of the valve rockers on my 2005 V70 D5 185 bhp engine[ which has done 275K miles] needing replacing,the reason i ask is because in the next couple of months i will need to replace the hydraulic lifters,due to the dreaded tug boat noise when warmed up,and wondered if anyone has done this job and found weather or not the rockers needed doing at similar mileage to mine,another reason is if i do need to replace them euro car parts have the INA ones with a 30% discount finishing tomorrow, making it £109 for 20.I don't have any top end noises,just the deep thumping noise[sounds like banging 2 baloons together]which the forum suggests is a weak hydraulic follower.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 00:13   #2
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Hi,would anybody happen to know the likelyhood of the valve rockers on my 2005 V70 D5 185 bhp engine[ which has done 275K miles] needing replacing,the reason i ask is because in the next couple of months i will need to replace the hydraulic lifters,due to the dreaded tug boat noise when warmed up,and wondered if anyone has done this job and found weather or not the rockers needed doing at similar mileage to mine,another reason is if i do need to replace them euro car parts have the INA ones with a 30% discount finishing tomorrow, making it £109 for 20.I don't have any top end noises,just the deep thumping noise[sounds like banging 2 baloons together]which the forum suggests is a weak hydraulic follower.
Have you considered doing an engine flush first?
Mine is quieter after a flush.

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 00:27   #3
sv70

No,only because i did an oil/filter change using shell helix around 6 months ago,anyway on start up from cold there's no noise,only when it warms up and on reading similar problems on the forum,all the answers seem to point to the hydraulic lifters,someone mentioned that the 05 and 06 engines had a bad batch of lifters.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 08:22   #4
luggsey

Yes mines 06 with high miles and at times sounded like a dumper at low revs.
I did a liqui moly engine flush and it has improved a bit.

It's a dogs life!

Old Jan 8th, 2017, 11:48   #5
sv70

Thanks,i suppose i could try that if the noise annoys me too much before changing the followers,by the way how long have you been using your car with the noise,i am presuming because the engine still pulls great there isn't a necessity to get it sorted pronto.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:21   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
No,only because i did an oil/filter change using shell helix around 6 months ago,anyway on start up from cold there's no noise,only when it warms up and on reading similar problems on the forum,all the answers seem to point to the hydraulic lifters,someone mentioned that the 05 and 06 engines had a bad batch of lifters.
Thats was me.
But i think that its more due 0w30 in combination with fueldillution due to the dpf
Change them and use a low ash 5w40

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 8th, 2017 at 12:56.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:28   #7
sv70

Thanks,i am using a 0/30's shell helix ultra,i don't see that my oil level has increased though,I suppose i could try using that oil before i change the lifters and see if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:49   #8
luggsey

Quote:
Thanks,i suppose i could try that if the noise annoys me too much before changing the followers,by the way how long have you been using your car with the noise,i am presuming because the engine still pulls great there isn't a necessity to get it sorted pronto.
Mine just chuffed a bit at low revs under power but stops as soon as it revs over 2k, it dosent apparently do much harm so I wouldn't worry too much.
I don't know about using heavier oil, I would suppose that made things worse but maybe not? If it makes up for slight wear and pressurises them more maybe it will help? Try it.
Also try the flush, that did help mine.

It's a dogs life!

Old Jan 8th, 2017, 12:59   #9
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks,i am using a 0/30's shell helix ultra,i don't see that my oil level has increased though,I suppose i could try using that oil before i change the lifters and see if that makes any difference.
The oil in itself wont repair the soft lifters , the 5w40 has more antiwear dopes and more reserve in viscosity to dampen the effect of fueldillution, it prevents soft and WORN lifters
Even if your oillevel doesnt rise it has some degree of fueldillution

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 8th, 2017 at 13:02.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2017, 13:11   #10
sv70

Thanks for your input fellas,i suppose it looks like-either just change the lifters or play about doing a flush/different oil,at least it seems it's not a problem that requires immediate attention and gives me time to ponder which way i will go with it,i will post results when i have tackled it though,thanks.