Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R for sale - 2003 in black

Views : 1316

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2018, 17:36   #1
GMC

Default V70R for sale - 2003 in black

I’m offering for sale my 2003 (53) V70R Auto in Black Sapphire metallic. My advert will be as detailed & honest as possible but please feel free to ask anything I may have missed.

It would be easy for me to fire it onto Ebay and get as much as I can for it, however, I’d happy for it to go for a fair sum to (hopefully) another Volvo enthusiast. If nobody is interested, Ebay it is, lol.

This V70R appeared in my mates garage almost 18 months ago on the back of an AA truck. It had been regularly serviced by him. It was running but was suffering from loss of power & excessive blue smoke, Turbo failure was suspected. The owner (a Doctor) had been considering trading it for a newer shape V70 so decided it wasn’t worth spending the money. Knowing I’m a Volvo fanatic, my mate contacted me asking if I’d be interested in making the Doctor an offer. Over a coming few days, offers were made, refused, another offer made etc, etc until a deal was agreed.

Due to work commitments it sat in my garage for almost a year until I had time to get it repaired. The problem was indeed Turbo failure. I sourced a replacement Turbo from a 78,000 mile accident damaged car, had it checked by ‘The Turbo Guy Ltd’ (receipt available) in Glasgow and with the assistance of my mechanic mate, fitted it recently. I already have a fully restored Gull 855 T-5R which took me 2yrs & a P1 V70R AWD which I intent to spend the winter refreshing. Whilst I’d love to keep this also, I simply don’t have the time to undertake the work or space to store it.

So, here’s the vital statistics;

• September 2003 model with only 91,700 miles on the clock (going up slightly as I’m using it a day a week for work to keep the wheels turning).
• 12 months MOT – 12/11/19. For it’s MOT it required a NSF droplink, wiper blades and 2 bulbs!
• 4 previous owners
• Originally supplied by Hapstead Volvo, Croydon
• High specification model
• Volvo ‘Premium’ HU-833 entertainment system with CD, Mini-Disk, TV, Phone interface & of course, radio. Everything works although the TV can’t find a station, probably because its analogue? 2 remote controls present (not tested as they need batteries).
• Recent Turbo fitted. Whilst being installed, at Volvo’s recommendation, the sump was removed, cleaned and oil gallery ring seals all replaced. (these seals are apparently the cause of premature turbo failure in older cars – the seals go hard, turn brittle & crack causing momentary drop in oil pressure and the Turbo is the victim.
• Xenon headlamps
• Fully serviced & new wiper blades
• New Volvo Crankshaft sensor (part nr 31331755)
• Correct anti—freeze (4ltrs) used when refilling the system
• Space-saver spare wheel & jack etc
• Front towing eye
• Wheel Locks & key

Here’s my honest appraisal of the car;

• The front bumper looks as though its hit a high kerb at some point, a repair is needed. (see pic)
• Around 2 years ago, the previous owner came out from work to find somebody had bumped & scraped along the passenger side but didn’t leave any details. He decided not to put it through insurance and paid to have the front wing & rear door repainted but being honest, it’s a poor job. The wing needs repainted, the door needs replaced (see pic).
• The drivers seat (back) is torn along one of the seams. A local coach trimmer I use says it can be easily fixed if removed (see pic)
• Dash showing 2 messages – Anti-skid & Chassis Setting service required, my mate reset these but have came back on.
• Front tyres - Good - approx. 5mm each, Rears are getting low and will need replaced in a few thousand miles.
• Pads are about 50% worn all round.
• Front Disks are as new, Rear discs in decent condition
• Gearbox shifts as it should & works perfectly in Sport & Manual mode
• Drivers side electric seat works perfectly, Passenger is manual
• Seat heaters work
• Electric sunroof operating correctly
• AC system working perfectly
• Sat Nav displaying ‘cannot read disk’ message just now. Hopefully it’s a dirty lens and just needs cleaned? (common problem)
• Driver side door Mirror cover required.
• Gearbox oil - red & clean.
• Headlamp wash/wipe working perfectly
• 2 of the wheels are in great condition, 2 have a few scuffs & bubbles
• All central locking working
• All electric windows working
• Electric adjusting & folding mirrors working
• Usual ‘carpark’ scuffs & scrapes expected from a 15yr old car

Let’s just say it’s not a polished diamond, the car needs love & attention. On a positive note, it’s a solid car and deserves some time & money to be spent on it to bring it back to its former glory.

I will not be turning this into an auction but will be open to fair & reasonable offers, I just need to ensure I’m recovering the money I’ve spend on garage labour & material and hopefully a small amount more to cover my time, lol!

Delivery can also be organised at extra cost if required.

Don’t hesitate to call or message me if you want to chat.
Gerry – 0771 555 6820 (if it rings out, leave a message or text me and I'll get back to you)

See pictures below;

h

2013 V70 D5 R Design - Grey(Daily Driver)
2015 Audi A3 184 TDi Quattro - Grey (The Wife's!)
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:39   #2
GMC

Still available, on Gumtree now also.

(bad time of year to sell, I know)
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 17:35   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I'm not interested in the car, I'm afraid, 'GMC', but good luck with the sale - I'm sure somebody will appreciate it.

Is that a BSA Dandy I see lurking in the background? That's another rare beast these days. Interesting alternative to a moped, but checking the points was far from simple! Yours looks to be a very smart survivor.

Regards, John.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 22:19   #4
GMC

Hi John, it sure is, well spotted!
It was my Grandpa's, he stopped using it in 1960. He died in 1974 but lay in the garage for another 19yrs until my Gran's death in 1993. When clearing the house & garage my dad wanted to scrap it but I insisted it was kept so lay in his garage until 2015! That's when I finally had time to strip & restore it. Only took about 6 months (couple of nights a week) including the time to source a few parts from ebay. I take it a wee spin a couple of times a year to keep the wheels turning.

Apologies for the long explanation, lol!

Last edited by GMC; Nov 27th, 2018 at 22:22.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMC For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 15:20   #5
GMC

SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to GMC For This Useful Post: