Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Boot Release

Views : 620

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2018, 12:50   #1
DavidJones

Default Amazon Boot Release

Hi,
This is my first post - I have two Amazons a race one and a '68 road going 123 GT look alike - on the latter the boot release "rod" has parted company with the release handle and thus I cannot open said boot. I was considering cutting an access hole/slot behind the number plate but before I do that I was wondering if anyone else has a different fix?
From the race car I can see that the release "finger" looks fairly straight forward to manipulate once you can gain access to it but the proximity to the fuel tank is preventing me drilling up through the boot floor...
Many Thanks
David
DavidJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 13:53   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Can you not get access by removing the rear seat back? You can on a PV544 - I don't know about an Amazon though (sorry)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 15:25   #3
old fart
Master Member

If you remove one of the rear lights you can reach through, either with a spanner to remove the catch, or with a screwdriver to fiddle with it.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 12:31   #4
DavidJones

Many thanks for the rear light idea - will give that a try....
DavidJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 15:40   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

DJ;

Welcome to this forum!

Sorry to read about Boot Latch difficulties...I am following this thread with interest...

Army; 544 is nice in that after folding down seat, area doubles as an emergency sleeping area (weren't bedding kits available as an accessory?). Unfortunately, there is no such option in a 122 or access from rear seat ...there is a continuous bulkhead...

OF; Access through Rear Light fixture hole would be difficult at best...unless you're a ship-in-a-bottle (in a closet at midnight) kind of guy...

David; I recommend having a close look at the exploded assembly diagram at http://www.gcp.se/en/ and maybe even better, a working model of a proximity to the fuel tank is preventing me drilling up through the boot floor...Volvo-friend you can locate nearby.
"proximity to the fuel tank is preventing me drilling up through the boot floor..." ...it's not that close!...boot floor behind Tank is a single thickness so possibly an option if you are certain to stay away from the Tank. ...but before you attempt that, I do recall seeing a current thread with pix on this subject elsewhere...I believe they had success through the holes behind marker plate...I'll try to locate and pass along link. I hope you didn't have perishable groceries in the Boot...!

Edit: Found thread...its on Facebook, Volvo Amazon group, Dec 15 posting by Joseph Pascal...I've also invited him to stop by and give details!

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Dec 17th, 2018 at 16:38. Reason: Edit; Added thread info
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 19:48   #6
old fart
Master Member

I know the '' through the light hole'' works, as I have done it, though it was a bit awkward getting my elbow through!
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2018, 20:37   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

of;

Having never used this technique, it seemed like it was not going to be possible to get your arm in there, and without that, you'd have to somehow manipulate a wire over to the mechanism, hook it and apply lifting force...a pretty tall order, but if you can indeed get your arm in there for a start, that helps quite a bit, and if you've had success with that technique, brilliant!...as always, it's tough to argue with success.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 03:38   #8
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post

Army; 544 is nice in that after folding down seat, area doubles as an emergency sleeping area (weren't bedding kits available as an accessory?)

An emergency bed? Wow I'm not sure I'll be trying that!
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 11:09   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

On 65 onwards cars you can remove a rear light and rear around to release the boot latch. You need a long skinny arms but it is possible.

The older all red lights are fixed from the inside so this method does not work on those cars
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote