Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 62543

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:36   #51
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Just to make things more clear The oncall tracking is only activated when the alarm goes off , As far as the car is concerned The car is just being driven normally and has not been stolen because it has received the correct signal from the key .
I believe that once they turn the engine off on the car stolen this way they cannot start it again ..
I daresay volvo and other manufacturers are working hard on software to correct this deficiency .. Or at least warn existing owners to keep their keys well away from the front of the house ….
That's useful to know, thanks Clan.

From what you've described it sounds as though a simple fix for Volvo would be to add an additional activation to start the on call tracking when the car is driven a specified distance without a key / immobiliser transponder in it. That way people could move the car around the driveway without causing a false alarm, yet the moment it's driven away and moves out of the amplified range of the key, full tracking commences. The only way I can see this not working is if the amplifiers also store the key code, however, a number of people have suggested it can't be re-started without the key so this would suggest not. Perhaps an idea for someone to forward to VUK?

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:51   #52
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
That's useful to know, thanks Clan.

From what you've described it sounds as though a simple fix for Volvo would be to add an additional activation to start the on call tracking when the car is driven a specified distance without a key / immobiliser transponder in it. That way people could move the car around the driveway without causing a false alarm, yet the moment it's driven away and moves out of the amplified range of the key, full tracking commences. The only way I can see this not working is if the amplifiers also store the key code, however, a number of people have suggested it can't be re-started without the key so this would suggest not. Perhaps an idea for someone to forward to VUK?
I would imagine the key sends out a different code each time just like they have been for many years ..
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:55   #53
St Evelyn
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would imagine the key sends out a different code each time just like they have been for many years ..
I suspected the same to be fair.

I still think that the change to VOC activation should be a feasible solution to get the tracking to start at a more appropriate juncture though.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 20:56   #54
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Evelyn View Post
I suspected the same to be fair.

I still think that the change to VOC activation should be a feasible solution to get the tracking to start at a more appropriate juncture though.
They must have already been working on a solution ..
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 23:31   #55
XCR
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuads View Post
Really sorry for the OP - Such a shame and a problem the industry really needs to address. Its becoming just to common. Its why I prefer key-less start but NOT keyless entry.

As others have said if they are organised such they have the tools to do it they will know to get it in a container etc for a few weeks till you forget about it and then they can do what they want with it..
Really sorry to hear this. I know how it feels as I lost an X5 off the drive years ago (walked in past a sleeping dog and took the keys - house keys too - and my wallet !) and my son recently lost his Fiat 500 Abarth from outside his house.

I've quoted the above post as it states 'they can do what they want with it'
Are these cars really leaving the country or simply being fitted with cloned plates before being sold into certain communities ?
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 23:34   #56
Ringthane
VOC Member

Sorry for your loss.

I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079GKQV...es(Black)&th=1

Also, your microwave is a faraday cage, so You could keep the pouch in there at night just to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 12:48   #57
steve99uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Very sorry to hear about this loss................
Couple of questions that may help us all.
1. Am I correct is saying that your VOC app did not show the cars "Last Trip" with its final destination?
2. As the car was stolen with no break-in, do you believe that the thieves managed to hook up to your keys stored inside the house, if so where they just inside the door?
Thanks to everyone for your sympathy and comments. Perhaps keeping the keys in a Faraday cage may have helped but I had a Range Rover Sport for 3yrs before this that had keyless entry and never had a problem. The key fob was in my hallway downstairs and I still have all 3 – 2 still in the nice presentation box and never used.
To me this was carefully planned but I just don’t know if they had seen it parked in my drive or knew my address and that I had a new XC60?

The App still says, ‘car in use’ and the last trip showing in one I made the day before. I called Volvo Customer Services today – they have opened a Case for me and will ask VOC to ping it every 15mins for 24hrs. They told me that the Latest Trip information only gets updated when the car stops and a signal to the car can be established. He suggested that the car may be underground or in a container – a large faraday cage!! I don’t think that’s correct – I believe that it was block/disabled but he could be right.
Still nothing from the police other than a crime reference number – I have emailed them asking for an update.

My insurance company now have the information/documentation that they requested so hopefully they will contact me again soon.
My dealer offered sympathy and said, ‘It is very unfortunate that this incident has happened to you’. Not even a call from him or his manager which in my opinion is very poor customer relations.

I will update as and when I have news – for everyone who has a keyless XC please be careful and take extra precautions regarding storing keys and perhaps additional security – maybe even use a krooklok if you have one in your lofts!

Steve
steve99uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve99uk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 13:15   #58
roundyuk

Sorry to hear about the loss of your pride and joy dude, horrible feeling.

I would turn to perhaps social media and Twitter to push Volvo UK for a statement on the operation of VOC when it comes to theft of this type. If they design a system with keyless entry and know these types of theft occur; they should really design the system to mitigate or assist wherever possible.

That being said, if the vehicle was not turned off until it was inside a cage or similar or no cell signal it would have not been able to update its last location. Personally I think they car should have the option to ping it’s location every 15 mins to the server, that way if the owner wanted to turn it on they would have reasonably up to date location info.

What is really confusing is how they managed to keep the car running without the key nearby, I thought you couldn’t run it for very long without the key in the car? It must have been driven straight to a container or used for some other purpose and them abandoned. Unless these guys have access to the required equipment to code new keys up? Scary....

Another option might be a cheap 12v gsm tracker that you could wire someone random.
roundyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 13:15   #59
Simmy
Premier Member

a full cover steering lock .disclock is the only thing you need abt £100 well worth the cost
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 15:11   #60
JamesN7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Interesting!
But it doesn't seem to offer a viable solution to the safety risk(s) of a keyless entry system
since it takes more effort than pressing a button on a keyfob.
The main win for keyless is not having to get the key out surely? A couple of extra button presses to start the car isn't that big a deal is it?

What do you want next, a car that drives itself? Oh wait...

If you have an iPhone you can buy their app and pair the phone to the immobiliser so no key sequence is required so long as you have your phone with you. (But how long before they figure out how to boost your phone's bluetooth signal too...)

J