Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locked out of V70 2003. Help!!

Views : 859

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:02   #1
N Gauge Bob
N Gauge Bob

Unhappy Locked out of V70 2003. Help!!

VOLVO V70 2003 2.4 D SE AUTO.
I have spent the best part of a day looking through the site and all the suggestions make no sense at all or don't work.
I have been ill for a couple of weeks and went to move the car. It is totally dead. Even the red dash security light has ceased working.
I have opened the drivers door but nothing else will open.
I need to get in the boot to change the battery. A lot of suggestion is that there is a stopper to remove revealing the lock....not on mine.
There is no handle inside the boot.
I have asked several battery suppliers to come and fit one. They have all asked if there is access to the boot, and when I have said no, they suggest go to Volvo. I asked Volvo and I do not need a mortgage at my age!!!
Any suggestions as to how I can get the boot open please. Crawling through the car at my age and with my health problems is not even an image I care to contemplate
Cheers
Bob
N Gauge Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:52   #2
Spike56
Master Member

I have no experience with the v series but on the saloon models the stopper you refer to is a black plastic 'plug' which is alongside the number plate light. You insert the car key into a slot and prise it gently out. That reveals a key hole and access to the boot space. Even this is a pain.
When I get locked out of mine (usually lights left on!) I have found that turning the ignition on and then off again and allowing the car to stand for some time allows the battery to accumulate just enough charge to release the door locks (and boot). The reason the others won't open is they are deadlocked and will only open by remote!
Brilliant!!!!

I've been there and I feel for you. Good luck.

Can you access the connection under the bonnet? There is a way to get charge into the system from there which might help.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:56   #3
marcb
Master Member

If you have a local mechanics garage they will probably have a battery pack - you can connect it to the engine jump start points and get the car open (and start it). Or do you have a neighbour with jump leads - all you need is enough juice to trip the central locking.

Obviously AA etc also do this.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcb For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 14:59   #4
jeremycolley

Open the bonnet - you'll see 2 terminals for the battery behind the airbox on the right - I think there's a plastic cover over the + and - terminals.

although - as it's a V70 you should be able to fold the rear seats down and reach the handle for the spare wheel well and lift it up - that's where the battery is

Previous Volvo's, 1996 855 T5 CD Aubergine 855 N/A CD, 940 Wentworth, 760 Estate,740 Estate, 240 DL Estate,240 GLT Estate
jeremycolley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremycolley For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 15:08   #5
marcb
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycolley View Post
Open the bonnet - you'll see 2 terminals for the battery behind the airbox on the right - I think there's a plastic cover over the + and - terminals.

although - as it's a V70 you should be able to fold the rear seats down and reach the handle for the spare wheel well and lift it up - that's where the battery is
There's a + point by the fuses but the negative just needs to go onto say the power steering pump bracket.

It will be a struggle to get the battery out from inside - it's very heavy and you'd have to take the rear floor panel out and get at the bottom battery bracket.

Last edited by marcb; Nov 27th, 2018 at 16:44.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 17:42   #6
rogereld

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Gauge Bob View Post
VOLVO V70 2003 2.4 D SE AUTO.
I asked Volvo and I do not need a mortgage at my age!!!
What did you ask Volvo?

It is very likely that a Volvo main dealer will be able to supply you a battery at lower cost than many other suppliers. when I purchased one a couple of years ago a genuine Volvo branded battery was cheaper than the equivalent at Halfords, ECP and most online suppliers.

Some spare parts are expensive, but a lot of other items will not cost more at the main dealer. I purchased a litre of engine oil recently. Cost £9 inc VAT from Volvo and they confirmed it was the correct oil for my car. Same spec oil at Halfords is currently priced at £19 per litre.

If you or anyone you know has a set of jump leads you could either start the car from another vehicle and drive it to Volvo, or get someone to take you to Volvo to get a battery and then use the jump leads to connect the new battery to the battery terminals under the bonnet and operate the central locking to unlock the tailgate.

Phone the dealer. If the first price quoted sounds a bit high be sure to ask them if that is the best price they can do. The cost of a new battery will probably be similar to the cost of a full tank of fuel.
rogereld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 18:29   #7
marcb
Master Member

OEM 019 battery for a V70 from Volvo is about £120. I bought one from a Volvo dealer for that. It's a big, heavy battery - the biggest I've put in any car I've had.
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 22:56   #8
rogereld

I paid £74.40 inc VAT for my Volvo OEM battery from my Volvo main dealer. As specified by Volvo to fit in my 2001 2.4T petrol V70. Maybe prices have increased since I fitted mine but if they have that would probably apply to all suppliers and not just Volvo.

Do not assume your Volvo dealer is more expensive but get some quotes and compare before purchase.
rogereld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 17:30   #9
N Gauge Bob
N Gauge Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycolley View Post

Thanks for that. I have the red terminal and a bank of 3 terminals on the inside of the inner wing. Can I put the battery charger on them just to throw enough thru the system to open the locks?
The battery on the car is totally 100% dead.
Thanks
Bob
N Gauge Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 17:47   #10
marcb
Master Member

Not sure it's a good idea to use a battery charger. Why not just buy a new battery and some leads - that's the way to do it. Or get someone to connect from their car battery.

As I said, the negative point is the bracket by the steering pump - see:

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...c_06b.htm#pg95