Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Temp Sensor?

Views : 3759

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:48   #11
DWM
VOC Member

I haven't been very scientific about it but at the end of the first 30-mile test drive I took mine for with a new thermostat, the mpg on info centre was 41.4. I'd never seen a figure above 38 for a trip before, even with the gentlest driving

Yesterday I celebrated/vented my pent-up rage against the awkwardness of replacing my lower radiator hose clip by going for a fun drive - empty country roads, hills, booting it all the way, and at the end it had recorded 35.9 mpg. It's unreal.

All this is before resetting the ECU by unhooking the battery overnight, which I did last night. We shall see if that makes any difference.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:47   #12
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Happy days, I was expecting anything over 28mpg to be a bonus, so replacing the thermostat on these things, is it the same hassle with the bolts as the 5cyl engines?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 09:52   #13
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Happy days, I was expecting anything over 28mpg to be a bonus, so replacing the thermostat on these things, is it the same hassle with the bolts as the 5cyl engines?
Not hassle at all. It's so simple, even I can do it! (With help from forum members.) It's just two T40 bolts: see here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104989

The rear bolt is oh-so-slightly annoyingly located so that a bit of the engine block got in the way of my torx bit slightly. But not so that I couldn't manage as I was. (And if I'd had a narrower tool or an extension bar or something it'd have been even easier.)

Last edited by DWM; Oct 3rd, 2010 at 09:59.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DWM For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:58   #14
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
All this is before resetting the ECU by unhooking the battery overnight, which I did last night. We shall see if that makes any difference.
MPG update (it's becoming an obsession). 40 miles this am, 20 of them flooring it, 20 back at a sedate 50 using cruise where possible. 39.5 mpg overall. Not sure if disconnecting the battery made much or any difference, though idle sounded calmer when started from cold. Anyway - I'm more than happy with those numbers.

Official figures for your car and mine btw were 21.4 urban, 39.2 extra-urban, 30.1 combined.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 09:05   #15
DatDiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes your thermostat is faulty should read about 85 - 90 C

The oil temp sender is on the front part of the engine not far from the starter motor
part 70808951 but check that the wire isnt broken on the sensor plug.
Since a few weeks I own a S40 I with B4184S motor. It has a board computer that should present also the oil temp. It shows always "cold". So I was looking for the sensor but the only thing I found was a wire connected to nothing close to the starter motor. I checked everything around that cable if there is a sensor to plug on but found nothing. It seems not to be the oil pressure sensor, this one I have identified a little more right hand an higher as the oil temp plug.
Can anybody explain where exactly the oil temp sensor should be at my car?
DatDiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 10:29   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDiak View Post
Since a few weeks I own a S40 I with B4184S motor. It has a board computer that should present also the oil temp. It shows always "cold". So I was looking for the sensor but the only thing I found was a wire connected to nothing close to the starter motor. I checked everything around that cable if there is a sensor to plug on but found nothing. It seems not to be the oil pressure sensor, this one I have identified a little more right hand an higher as the oil temp plug.
Can anybody explain where exactly the oil temp sensor should be at my car?
first of all do you have a problem? The display will read COLD until the oil reaches around 60 C as far as I can remember so if you do short journeys it will forever read COLD , It can take 10 - 15 miles or more on the motorway to get the oil warmed up to similar values as the coolant ..

Here is the sensor however ….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Temp Sensor.jpg (49.2 KB, 15 views)
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 10:56   #17
DatDiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
first of all do you have a problem?
I have a problem: the board computer doesn't show all values correctly. The car has no problem with that so far

The oil temp will never show anything else than cold as far as I don't connect the plug to a sensor. Although I drive thousands of miles with high speed :-D

Thanks for providing the drawing. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

The drawing is a front view. The oil pressure sensor is nearly in the middle of the drawing. Along the (thought) line from pressure to temp sensor also nearly in middle (a little bit closer to the pressure sensor) is the oil level dipstick located?
Is it still the motor or is it the oil sump where it should be? Is it possible that there is no sensor; I mean if a car got a board computer it should provide all necessary sensors from(by?) factory or not?

Thanks a lot. DirkS
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:09   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I have a problem: the board computer doesn't show all values correctly. The car has no problem with that so far

The oil temp will never show anything else than cold as far as I don't connect the plug to a sensor. Although I drive thousands of miles with high speed :-D

Thanks for providing the drawing. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

The drawing is a front view. The oil pressure sensor is nearly in the middle of the drawing. Along the (thought) line from pressure to temp sensor also nearly in middle (a little bit closer to the pressure sensor) is the oil level dipstick located?
Is it still the motor or is it the oil sump where it should be? Is it possible that there is no sensor; I mean if a car got a board computer it should provide all necessary sensors from(by?) factory or not?

Thanks a lot. DirkS
there is no oil LEVEL sensor you have the normal dipstick to check the level …
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:19   #19
DatDiak

Seems my translation causes missunderstandings. ;-)

I know there is no sensor for the oil level. I mean the normal dipstick.

Am I right that the pressure sensor is nearly in the middle of the whole drawing?
If yes draw a line to the temp sensor. In the middle of that line is the oil level dipstick? ( It is a little bit closer to the pressure sensor)

I ask these questions to ensure to find the temp sensor next time I crawl under the car. ;-)

Sorry if my explanation is not easy to understand; English is not my first language. ;-)
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:24   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Seems my translation causes missunderstandings. ;-)

I know there is no sensor for the oil level. I mean the normal dipstick.

Am I right that the pressure sensor is nearly in the middle of the whole drawing?
If yes draw a line to the temp sensor. In the middle of that line is the oil level dipstick? ( It is a little bit closer to the pressure sensor)

I ask these questions to ensure to find the temp sensor next time I crawl under the car. ;-)

Sorry if my explanation is not easy to understand; English is not my first language. ;-)
all is ok ..

Yes the oil pressure warning light switch is in the centre, it only has one wire , The oil TEMPERATURE sensor is down at the lower edge of the sump as shown in the accurate drawing ..