Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trying on my winter shoes...

Views : 3043

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:06   #11
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Ive got a pot of lurid green caliper paint, ideal for a bit of contrast
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:10   #12
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
Lol I actually like these!
Im hoping to go visit them soon so that they can draw around my feet, I choose the leathers, talk through the options, get a pair made how I want them.
Not cheap, but will last.
Get a factory tour as well, cant wait to see the victorian wire screwing machine still in use.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:12   #13
Deman77
Master Member

When you change fully and gave her outside, Can you post pictures from different angles and also crops from a distance - I find phone lense perspective distorts the geometry relative to human eye too much if you try to fill the frame. If you make it so the whole car is a quarter frame and crop it - that makes it a lot more like human vision.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:14   #14
Deman77
Master Member

Come next year winter my winters will be too old to use and I will go to crossclimates to not have to guess when to switch. I quite tempted to size down now I have seen a 19in look that doesn’t make me cringe.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:18   #15
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Now paint the callipers.

I wished that was an option, my last 2 cars had red callipers, and black wheels
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 14:20   #16
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
Come next year winter my winters will be too old to use and I will go to crossclimates to not have to guess when to switch. I quite tempted to size down now I have seen a 19in look that doesn’t make me cringe.
I have run winter tyres all year round on load of vehicles, over the last 8 years, never had an issue or a problem with tyre wear. (we are talking Vito Van, and various high performance cars one was an AMG GLA I got to say very impressed how many miles it did on winters. (Nokians)
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 15:13   #17
Haldex
Premier Member

@Deman

Oh this was just a garage shot - as I won't have all 4 of them on before mid November.. But sure- I'll take some proper pictures then.

Actually, I run 19" summers too - the standard-issue Volvo RD double-spoke diamond cut. I think 19" is a good size for the XC60 - aesthetically and in terms of ride quality/handling.. On an XC90 - 19" would probably look small(ish..) Why not go with 20"?

@Deman, Bloke69

Tried the CrossClimate last winter (granted it was a small car, FWD..) and they just don't do it for me in proper snow conditions. I suppose they're ok for slush- but I spend most of the winter above 2500m elevation- and for that I really need proper winters.

Also, the CrossClimate is only available up to 18" (well, in continental Europe at least..)
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 15:23   #18
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I have run winter tyres all year round on load of vehicles, over the last 8 years, never had an issue or a problem with tyre wear. (we are talking Vito Van, and various high performance cars one was an AMG GLA I got to say very impressed how many miles it did on winters. (Nokians)
I’m low extraurban miles so wear is low on my worry list and 120quid a year in re-shoeing fees probably covers the extra wear if I went full winters. What I do know is that in complete dry and 10C+ my conti 850 winters are scary even if they do really well in higher temperatures in the wet. There is a reason insurance companies in continental Europe get huffy about people on winter rubber in summer conditions. It’s very rare in this country not to have wet roads in winter but jan17 when we had +14 and sunshine I did not enjoy the breaking distances. I definitely won’t run them in summer especially on motorways. Guessing change over this year was also not fun. After a hot spell late March which seemed like time to change we had snow in April. With cross climates I’ll get something that will cope with 2in of snow three days a year but completely suitable for both icy mornings and hot spells which neither summer nor winters will handle.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 16:10   #19
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldex View Post
It's the first major modification on my XC60 - so I just had to hear some opinions

I went for Ronals R56 (7.5x19) in matte black - for several reasons- from my experience this wheel design is easy to clean, matte black hides the dirt pretty well, plus the powdercoating resists the salt/road grit much better than the lacquered wheels. And finaly, at €380/set it's hard to go wrong

What do you all think?

What is everyone else running for winter wheels?

I'll just manage with what I've got, we don't get alot of snow down south.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 19:26   #20
MaDProFF
Master Member

@deman77 considering they turning point is 7ºc in general for Winter tyres, they perform better than Summers, I really am surprised you quoted 12ºc maybe try some other winter tyres, Nokians are high performance winter tyres, and for me certainly are not inferior at 12ºc.

I like them on in the winter, not because of snow, it is black ice, great grip in rain, less aquaplaning, and just the stopping power on ice and snow, could be the difference between you in the hedge or not, (in my case I drive a lot at night and early morning).
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post: