Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

after market headlights

Views : 3612

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2018, 22:55   #41
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi DSK, I am sure you are right. It certainly ticks all the boxes. Thanks again for all your help. jack
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 16:46   #42
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, hid kit received but without fitting instructions. Contacted ebay seller who is far from helpful. I have looked at a couple of you tube instructions on fitting these kits but not terribly clear. Would any of you guys by chance still have the printed instructions and if so whether you would be prepared to copy them to my email address. Thanks jack
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 18:34   #43
DSK
C70 T5

I don't have fitting instructions and sorry to hear about the seller being unhelpful.

Really, its as easy as changing a bulb.

1. cut a suitable circular hole in the headlamp cover just a bit smaller than the rubber gromit.

2. Remove the bulb and retaining clip from the head light and disconnect the electrical connector from the bulb

3. Fit bulb retaining clip over the HID bulb. Position HID bulb into the headlamp and secure the bulb retaining clip.

4. Reconnect the spade connectors to the electrical; plug that was plugged into the old bulb.

5. Feed the remainder of the 2 cables through the hole you cut into the headlamp cover.

6. Connect the above 2 wires into the ballast.

7. Secure the ballast with cable ties (I tie mine to the washer fluid bottle).

8. Switch on ignition and test. If they don't work, swap the spade connectors around.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 15:42   #44
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi DSK, Thank you yet again for coming to my rescue; doesn't sound too difficult a job.jack.
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 16:43   #45
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi, Just to update headlights and HID kit. I purchased headlights from "Autodoc in Spain for €90.00 for the pair. This company is also based in the uk. They offer about 6 different manufacturers. I chose Van Wezel which is a German company. The headlights appear to be very well made. Fitting was easy and it took only a few minutes to remove the levelling motors from the back of the existing headlights and fitting them on the new ones.
Thanks to detailed info from DSK I purchased a HID kit from ebay uk for £50.00 from "parkingsensoronline" They carry an "E" certificate. and are fitted with Canbus. Also they are anti-glare. I Chose 35w H7R 5000k which I think are entry level. It took me just under two hours to fit and the end result is amazing. I had the headlight beams aligned by my local garage with no charge.
I really cant believe just how good the lights are and I can now see where I am going. Don't buy cheap kits from ebay. DSK recommends HID-direct but I am not sure whether they are back in business yet. Provided you purchase a quality HID kit you can forget the scare stories. jack.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2018, 22:33   #46
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi DSK, I have PM you but cant find the message. Has it reached you. thanks jack.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 22:56   #47
DSK
C70 T5

Hi Jack

I have replied.

Regards

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 07:49   #48
GlendonV70

Hi,

I've just been on PFS looking for these projector headlights you bought, can't see them, I can only see the standard type. Any ideas?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
Jack:

I can only speak with limited personal experience. But (don't you hate that word?) they all go that way after time.

2nd hand ones are, quite often nearly as bad - especially if they're from a breaker; so caveat emptor.

When My v70's headlights were like candles in cocoa tin lids, I did do a lot of shopping around etc; but good ones are like rocking horse poo; i.e. scarce.

There are various people who can 're-silver' the reflectors; but I can't pass judgement as I've no experience of that side of things.

In the end, I went to PartsForVolvos and really splashed out and bought projector headlights with black backgrounds and really went to town and bought the matching indicators.

One big advantage of the PFV projectors is that they are very easy to 'adjust' for driving on the right-hand side of the road. Add good quality bulbs and you could put the landing lights of a 747 to shame.

But there isn't really a way that can be both good and cheap, that I know of, to have good replacement headlights without spending a bit of cash.

Maybe you could get some 'reasonable' 2nd-hand ones from a breaker; but you might to join a long queue of others wanting them!
GlendonV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 17:36   #49
DSK
C70 T5

I know a while back PFV were clearning their stock of these with minimal discounts so may be they have all sold.

In all honesy, I have 3 70's cars driven daily and 2 of them have the projectors in. Even with HIDs projectors are useless. For light quality just get some reasonable aftermarket replacement units in OEM style. I will be swapping 1 of the projectors out of one of the cars this xmas as and putting the original OEM lamps back in.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2018, 20:05   #50
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi GlenodV70, I cant speak for projector headlights but I can for reflector units. Look at "AutoDoc" uk who have a selection of headlights at varying prices. My new lights and an HID kit cost me about £130.00 and the end result is fantastic and safe for other drivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post: