Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Needing advice on oxygen sensor.

Views : 1329

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2018, 02:07   #1
minesa240x3
loyalty

Default Needing advice on oxygen sensor.

Hi all been a while since I posted, still driving Volvo cars.
I have a v70 mk1 1999 vintage, 2.0l engine, ten valve non turbo,single oxygen/ lambda sensor, the engine code is B5202S,
The car when purchased was intended to be a parts car for my year 2000 v70, almost identical but not, it was decided it was a better car in most ways than the one I had, so decided to drive both, obviousely not st the same time!
so typical Volvo the year was a time when models changed so much.
It barely scraped through the first MOT on emissions , but flew through in every other respect.
Well I meant to get the emissions sorted but drive it a year and parked it up.
Now I need to do front suspension on the original car plus front brakes and most likely brake pipes,
So looking through the limited history folder it had, I see the last owner did have issues hence selling it cheap for spares or repairs,
They were told by the garage they took it to “ your catalytic converters and oxygen sensor need changing, so they did that, then suddenly they say it was the main computer after all.
After the cost the owner decided to just get rid of it as the computer was very expensive with labour charges etc,
It was repaired at Halfords,,,,,,oh dear oh dear,,,

Fast forward to now, as I am unable to drive it on the road(no mot) I ask the garage where I work, a one man technical guy,,,he has had Volvo experience and said he would check it out.
He has sophisticated equipment, oscilloscope and various tools at his disposal, he focuses on electronics,,, upshot is the wiring in the probe was cut and badly joined, the probe hasn’t got four wires? Apparently it should have, while testing it he got a constant 0.4 volts, no variation no matter how the engine was revved,
His suggestion was wrong probe, and possibly cheap after market cst, so get a proper probe, find out which wires go where in the cars missing square socket, try that before considering the cat.
Phew! So I go onto parts for Volvo online,,, input my engines code, upmpops the right probe, or so I think! Talking to the salesman who checked it wasn’t for my car it was for a twenty valve not a ten valve, and wasn’t the right one,Valdosta he could not source a Bosch one, his suggestion was to try a Lucas from eBay or reputable stockist. He gave me the part number,
So off I go and find the number has been superseded by a new part number,,, warning bells.
So the Lucas part number is 9207999 now superseded by part number LE297. Has anyone tried this unit, is the original Bosch one still available anywhere at all,
And has anyone got the position of the wires in the cars socket?
I know where and what colour goes to the car, just no idea which goes where in the socket, I don’t have the socket so he will wire it up properly.
The probe probably won’t have a colour code on it, plug and go expected.
Thank you for reading all of this, I do go on, but it’s been quite some time since I last posted, Volvo cars can just keep going after all.
Hi to anyone who remembers me,
Take care and thank you.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 05:27   #2
KBB
Master Tech

Can you confirm if this is fitted with a MAP sensor or a MAF
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 10:29   #3
volvo again
Master Member

Have you tried PartsforVolvo online ?
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo again For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 11:02   #4
minesa240x3
loyalty

Hi thank you for asking, yes I went to them first, they say they cannot get the original one and said to try using a Lucas one, wasn’t able to guarantee it would be perfect,
Just looking for anyone who has success or failure using different ones, spending £137 plus vat just to see if it is the issue is a little bit difficult, so just wanted reassurance it would work,
I would rather spend more knowing it was worth trying.
So many listed say they fit most cars, This is not st all true, just reading up in it shows me some are not compatible even when they portray to be so.
Thank you.
Forgot to add money is tight as need to spend out on most of the front end suspension, most likely brake parts as well on my other currently used car.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Oct 27th, 2018 at 11:12.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 11:09   #5
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBB View Post
Can you confirm if this is fitted with a MAP sensor or a MAF
Hi KBB I have checked and it has a MAP sensor, and an inlet air temperature sensor. It is the Fenix 5.2 fuel injection system used in ten valve engines .
My post was very long and may have strayed off the point.
Lambda probe/oxygen sensor .
I would appreciate any knowledge if the original part can be still found, and has anyone tried using the Lucas part,
And which of the four wires from the probe go where in relation to it’s socket?
I have no socket on the cars wiring, it had been cut off, I have found out what colour and where the wires on the car go, but need to orientate these to fit into the lambda probe connector.
Thanks so far.
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 11:12   #6
KBB
Master Tech

If you have a MAP sensor and this being a 10 valve I would think it will be using the FENIX ECU, in which case this system uses a Tatiana O2 sensor which operates completely differently to the more common Zirconia O2 sensors.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 11:16   #7
minesa240x3
loyalty

Ok so the issue is no one actually states much technical information when advertising them, just the usual “ fits this model” type of thing.
Useful information though, one thing with years of owning and maintaining volvo cars is you learn so much about individual systems.
Edited to say thank you KBB,

Last edited by minesa240x3; Oct 27th, 2018 at 11:33.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 22:38   #8
minesa240x3
loyalty

Still trying to find out the best non genuine sensor to use, rang a local independent Volvo garage who had no luck sourcing the right sensor on a car the same as mine they had in, they used a Lucas one so msybe I will have to go that way as well.
the one I thought I found on parts for Volvo online wasn’t correct after all, the person there cross checked and it was for the twenty valve.
My is a ten valve, and has the fenix system.
He suggested I try squire Ferneaux Maidenhead, yet to call them,
Fingers crossed.
My hesitation to buy a non standard one is because i have heard many stories of non standard ones causing issues, the car only failed on emmisions,
I would rather spend good money in a genuine one than be disappointed soon after using anything else.
If anyone has used a non standard sensor could you please let me know how it went? Good or bad.
Thank you .
V=139.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 20:22   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you so much pinballdave that is exactly the info I needed, so many out there to chose, anecdotal proof is the only sure fire way of knowing.
I haven’t had any luck sourcing a genuine one.
You say you soldered one up before. As my car no longer has the socket because it was removed to fit an incorrect sensor I may need to try and work out the colour coding to pin position.
I have the manual and it does give wire colours and where each wire comes from, but knowing which wire on the new probe joins to will be difficult.
I have looked around local breakers for a same year car but none found yet.
Thank you though. I will get and order the one you suggest,,,, very grateful as I was getting no where.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 22:12   #10
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you pinballdave, part ordered from local mpdonline depot, made sure it was the one you suggested, all I need now is an old socket from a donor car!
Or information from any kind member who can state clearly which colour wire from the car goes to which pin on the new lambda socket! Pretty please.
The MOT is due this coming weekend on my current road car, getting the other one up and mot’d is now urgent, the current road car needs a lot of front suspension work doing.
Thank you so far.
Regards.