Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fed up with useless Sensus navigation

Views : 4372

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 17:56   #11
airforced

As a recent mover to an S90 from Mercedes (3 in sucession) I must admit that I found the Sensus nav to be a big let down when compared with the Merc. However as ALL nav system are different and always will be I gave it the benefit of the doubt in the hope that useage will allow me to find all the good points about it in the fullness of time.

Slowly they are emerging but it is still too early for me to comment further except to say it is much more convenient as I update it from a USB without having to travel 50 miles to an unhelpfull Dealership and who would charge me anyway after 3 years.

Sorry no mention from me about, what seems to be a very poor show as far as Spanish coverage is concerned, but I hope you are able to sort it as these things are classed as essential items these days. Map books are far too old hat now!
airforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 18:08   #12
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Isn't a personal SIM card needed in order to set up a wifi hotspot in the car?
If that is so, this will not be possible if the car has no VOC.
I mean the use of a MIFI to create the hotspot in the car: https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/hu...E&gclsrc=aw.ds something like this in the link.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 18:10   #13
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
As a recent mover to an S90 from Mercedes (3 in sucession) I must admit that I found the Sensus nav to be a big let down when compared with the Merc. However as ALL nav system are different and always will be I gave it the benefit of the doubt in the hope that useage will allow me to find all the good points about it in the fullness of time.
It must be down to software integration then, as mercedes use the same maps as Volvo: https://www.here.com/en/partners/str...iances/daimler
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 18:58   #14
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I do and always have satnav in middle of the driver display and have never noticed lane indicators, but I have only had my car for two and a half years, it cant be as good as the Ford system which was so easy or I would have noticed it. The Ford system was much more colourful and very large green lane indication. I will have to have a play with my satnav settings to see if anything needs changing.
it’s impossible to miss it if you have it. A diagram of the lanes fills all the available area. Are you up to date with SatNav downloads.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 19:22   #15
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
It must be down to software integration then, as mercedes use the same maps as Volvo: https://www.here.com/en/partners/str...iances/daimler
Maybe for tomorrow but I don't see any similarities between the Volvo and Mercedes offerings of today so I think there is much work to do there.
airforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 21:00   #16
OldEngineer

It seems there is much to find out about your cars. The send to car feature exists for all cars with the Internet button. You use the Here Maps app and the car then accepts the navigation whether you have a sim card or a tethered phone. The lane indication is built into the Sensus navigation. If it's missing you have selected not to see it. The Sensus 'Menu' has two versions. If you use the 'navigation' button to bring up a menu you are only viewing a 'shortcuts' version. To see the full menu you need to use the 'Menu' button (marked OK/Menu). You can also select a destination by just finding it on the map. Scroll out to view the whole area then use the 'number' buttons to move the map around before scrolling in to a detailed position. Then press OK and the destination is set.
OldEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 21:48   #17
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
It seems there is much to find out about your cars. The send to car feature exists for all cars with the Internet button. You use the Here Maps app and the car then accepts the navigation whether you have a sim card or a tethered phone. The lane indication is built into the Sensus navigation. If it's missing you have selected not to see it. The Sensus 'Menu' has two versions. If you use the 'navigation' button to bring up a menu you are only viewing a 'shortcuts' version. To see the full menu you need to use the 'Menu' button (marked OK/Menu). You can also select a destination by just finding it on the map. Scroll out to view the whole area then use the 'number' buttons to move the map around before scrolling in to a detailed position. Then press OK and the destination is set.
I think the lane display detail is dependant upon which driver display you have. I have the 12.3 inch and it clearly states which lane to take at junctions etc when a destination is selected, it also shows it when a destination isn't selected but isn't as obvious, i.e. a small indication of the lanes you approaching at the bottom of the screen. I don't think there is the space with the smaller display for all this and the speed and rev counter - I think the smaller driver display now discontinued, am I correct with that?
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 06:48   #18
mdmd

To me, also living in Spain, SENSUS is not so bad. Voice recognition does not work well, this is true, although last updates have improved a bit since I bought the car.
As for finding places, I haven't so much trouble. As a trick, it is usually better to use the embedded Google search application and then press the button "navigate there"
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 09:21   #19
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
it’s impossible to miss it if you have it. A diagram of the lanes fills all the available area.
The full-sized lane display on the driver's screen only appeared after my last major software update by the dealer earlier this month. Previously the lane indication was tiny and at the bottom of the screen, iirc.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 09:21   #20
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
I think the smaller driver display now discontinued, am I correct with that?
Correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:

Tags
sensus navigation