Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B18 Alternator position

Views : 1243

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 12:25   #1
RCHunt

Default B18 Alternator position

Having blown the B18 engine in my 142 I have a fully rebuilt B18 from an Amazon to replace it. However I have discovered that the lugs which are cast into the block near the timing cover to which the lower alternator bracket attaches are not there. I understand that earlier Amazons had the dynamo on the left of the engine near the exhaust manifold. This would be an undesirable location for an alternator so I presume this was the reason to switch to the right of the engine. Is there a kit/modification available so that I can fit the alternator in the usual 140 position on the right? Many thanks
RCHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 14:33   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

RC;

"...dynamo on the left of the engine near the exhaust manifold. This would be an undesirable location for an alternator so I presume this was the reason to switch to the right of the engine..."

...this location is no less desirable than the Dynamo/Generator location of the earlier cars...in fact, even the early RHD cars also had their Dynamo located on the Manifold side, so there must have been room (maybe it was just "tight")... but this begs the question: How was there room for the Dynamo, but not the Alt on RHD cars (which I cannot answer...maybe OD of a Dyn is less than OD of an Alt...someone with a RHD Amazon can chime in with some pix). I thought a major reason that the Alt was moved to the Distrib side was to clear the Steering Box on RHD chassis, but this was clearly not absolutely necessary...I accept the minor advantage of cooling.

If you are going to use the B18 and must locate the Alt on the Distrib side, you will need a custom support bracket fabricated (I expect this might be involved and expensive)...but given the above with respect to there being adequate room on the Manifold side, an alternate solution would be to fit one of the retrofitted Alt brackets available (which add the Alt pivot to a similar location as shown below), onto the three OE Dynamo bracket holes. This might be a simpler, less costly solution than having the custom bracketry designed and fabricated for the Distrib side. ...hope that helps...

Source: https://www.sw-em.com/altkit_additio...n_B18_and_B20s

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 15:55   #3
RCHunt

Hi, Thanks, I'me beginning to think I may have to go with the alternator on the manifold side, I believe I have heard of a kit being available to mount on the distributor side but having no success in finding one.
The alternator has a greater OD than a dynamo and also I believe that alternators are more likely to be damaged by heat soak than dynamos but I have no experience either way.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 17:29   #4
old fart
Master Member

Default Alternator

There is room for an alternator in place of the dynamo, a Lucas one fits a treat
(the wires aren't as close to the exhaust as they look in the photo). You can modify the existing bracket or use spacers and a suitable length bolt.
I've had one in a similar position on a Triumph for years without any problems.
There was a kit for the other side of the engine which uses a bracket that uses 3 of the timing cover bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240326_170542.jpg (252.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by old fart; Mar 26th, 2024 at 17:32.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 17:47   #5
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHunt View Post
Hi, Thanks, I'me beginning to think I may have to go with the alternator on the manifold side, I believe I have heard of a kit being available to mount on the distributor side but having no success in finding one.
The alternator has a greater OD than a dynamo and also I believe that alternators are more likely to be damaged by heat soak than dynamos but I have no experience either way.
This small alternator fits no problem even with the 4 branch manifold
Rustinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:22   #6
RCHunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustinmotion View Post
Hi, Thanks, I don't particularly want to get another alternator but from your photo I see that there is plenty of room to clear the steering box for my existing one. Trouble is engine and car are currently in different places and it is difficult to assess how things will fit!
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:26   #7
RCHunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
There is room for an alternator in place of the dynamo, a Lucas one fits a treat
(the wires aren't as close to the exhaust as they look in the photo). You can modify the existing bracket or use spacers and a suitable length bolt.
I've had one in a similar position on a Triumph for years without any problems.
There was a kit for the other side of the engine which uses a bracket that uses 3 of the timing cover bolts.
Hi, thanks, I am trying to source the kit/bracket to fit to the timing cover bolts. Brookhouse Volvo tell me they last did them 15 years ago and I cannot contact Amazon Cars.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 15:09   #8
Rustinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHunt View Post
Hi, thanks, I am trying to source the kit/bracket to fit to the timing cover bolts. Brookhouse Volvo tell me they last did them 15 years ago and I cannot contact Amazon Cars.
If you converted to electrical fuel pump I’m sure the two 5/16 bolts would be strong enough to hold an alternator, the bracket would have to be a fuel pump delete blanking plate and alternator bracket
Rustinmotion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 20:58   #9
RCHunt

Quote:
If you converted to electrical fuel pump I’m sure the two 5/16 bolts would be strong enough to hold an alternator, the bracket would have to be a fuel pump delete blanking plate and alternator bracket
I have electric fuel pumps and a blanking plate where the fuel pump was, I had thought of running a bracket from there but I think it would be easier off the timing cover bolts.
Old Mar 28th, 2024, 10:09   #10
Bracpan

Quote:
That looks perfect the manifold is lagged and heat rises, was it a kit ?
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote