Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 1.6 2008 Brake oddity ?

Views : 530

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2020, 18:58   #1
Peter Budd

Default S40 1.6 2008 Brake oddity ?

On driving my S40 2008 a few days ago i had the shock of my brake pedal going down to the floor . It worked okish after 3 pumps each and every time i used it .Garage has fixed it ... my off side rear brake calliper was full of air and there seemed to be no obvious reason for the air getting in . The Main cylinder was ok and there were no leaks and no fluid use . He thought it could be the ABS unit maybe . As of now they are working better than ever .
Any experiences similar to this ? Thanks very much .
Peter Budd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 15:52   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Budd View Post
On driving my S40 2008 a few days ago i had the shock of my brake pedal going down to the floor . It worked okish after 3 pumps each and every time i used it .Garage has fixed it ... my off side rear brake calliper was full of air and there seemed to be no obvious reason for the air getting in . The Main cylinder was ok and there were no leaks and no fluid use . He thought it could be the ABS unit maybe . As of now they are working better than ever .
Any experiences similar to this ? Thanks very much .
does the clutch run off the same resevior on that car? could it be you have a failing clutch slave?
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 20:20   #3
Peter Budd

Thanks , i will look into that ...
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 20:46   #4
KevMan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
does the clutch run off the same resevior on that car? could it be you have a failing clutch slave?
Hi they do both run from the same reservoir but the feed for the clutch is higher than the brakes, so if your fluid was low, you would potentially lose your clutch first rather than brakes, bit of a safety thing by Volvo.
KevMan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 21:12   #5
Peter Budd

They bled the whole system down and got the brakes back but still could not find the problem cause . No fluid loss at all . We are going to change the master cylinder as it is the most likely cause but we still don't know . Wondering if i should take it somewhere else for a second opinion ...
Old Jul 14th, 2020, 21:42   #6
Peter Budd

Just to finish up on this post ... got a Brake master cylinder from a breakers , garage fitted it and applied good amounts of pressure to the system after which the brake calliper ,that had been filling with air previously , began to leak fluid . So different Master cylinder and new calliper and feels better than ever ... hopefully that's an end to it . Thanks for the comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Budd For This Useful Post: