Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 d5 r design or v70 t6 awd??

Views : 705

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2017, 22:31   #1
scootmuldoon

Default V70 d5 r design or v70 t6 awd??

Hi,.

I've been searching for almost 2 months now for a nice V70 D5 R DESIGN 2010 or newer and haven't came across the right car yet. All seem to be high miles or not what I'm looking for.

I've seen a 2011 V70 T6 AWD car for sale which looks really nice although a bit expensive imo.

Does anyone on here own a T6 model and apart from the higher running costs and road tax is it a better car than the D5 version?

Thoughts please.

Scott
scootmuldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 06:36   #2
Ant B

Not got a T6 myself but I did include them when looking for mine 2 years ago; basically I would have been happy with a T6 or D5, just the best example (for me) of whichever came up first. Was also watching Passat R36 estates very closely too - might be something to look at unless you’re hellbent on a V70?

Couple of pointers; all T6s are AWD and auto. Not sure what your requirements are but I don’t think AWD is available on the V70 D5 on MY12 cars (only XC70), or if it is it’s rare as I didn’t see one in months of looking.

The T6s are higher spec than D5s so you get more standard kit (and most are optioned better too); some D5s can be quite low spec, especially the R-Design ones if that’s what you’re specifically looking for (I was).

Also I found you pay a real premium for mileage - how long are you going to keep the car? If a long time, mileage becomes less important I think, might be better to buy higher mileage and save yourself £3-4k? I bought mine for £12k with 69k miles when 30-40k examples were £16k+ and now at 98k it’s not really worn at all, the interior looks like half that. There’s a definite market for high mileage Volvos so even with say 150k on, you’ll sell it no trouble.

Assume the T6 you’re looking at is the Bedford one? Looks really really nice, and it’s a MY12 facelift so updated interior, alloys, grill, bumpers etc. Agree £15k looks pricey but they’re rare (I think this’ll be the 300ps model too at 2011, not the 285?), although can hang around for a while as the market for 25mpg V70s is small, so maybe a deal to be had?

Go drive it I say, see if you like it - it’ll be considerably faster than a D5 for sure, although the D5 will pass you during one of your frequent fuel stops!
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 08:34   #3
scootmuldoon

Thanks for the response.

It is indeed the Bedford car.

It's the 305bhp car as you say so quite rare.

I'll give them a call regarding price but I doubt they will move much to be honest.

Just wondered if it's worth their asking price?
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 06:22   #4
Shinjuku

That feels expensive to me. We bought a 13MY pre reg to a 12 D4 in spring. 76k. R Design. Good condition. It was 9k in a private sale.

Granted the d4 is not as powerful as either of the cars you are looking at. However six months in I'd say it is acceptable for all driving situations other than monster overtakes. You need to use all of the available power sometimes but it is acceptable. I have had a succession of high power cars before this, moved our of the sports car world for the DD when we got a dog.

I'd consider saving yourself a lot of money and going for a d4

Last edited by Shinjuku; Dec 2nd, 2017 at 06:37.
Shinjuku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinjuku For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 10:29   #5
scootmuldoon

Smile

Thanks for your response.

I have seen a few nice examples of D4 cars advertised for sale but after selling my Focus RS I was looking to swap it for something still with a bit of performance hence the reason the T6 or D5.

I'm doing a lot more miles after moving post within my work and was thinking I'd go back to a V70 after owning one a couple of years back.

I've been looking on all the usual advertising sites for cars but there just doesn't seem to be as many cars for sale compared to a couple of years ago.

Is it possibly due to the amount of PCP deals and the likes of webuyanycar that most people aren't selling privately now?

My search continues.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 13:58   #6
Shinjuku

Thing that strikes me is that these are large heavy cars. Even with the r design suspension they don't lend themselves to being lobbed around. Then there is the auto gearbox which is fine but doesn't favour sporty driving.

So you end up with a car that, dynamically, isn't like what you've been used to and will never be "fun to drive" quickly on twisty roads.

If that is accepted it comes down to how much straight line speed do you really need on a day to day basis. Although the d5 and t6 might be nice I don't think it's needed and the d4 is enough.

If you want something engaging to drive you need to go for a Merc amg e class imho. But that is significantly more money.

Shinjuku
Shinjuku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinjuku For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 15:05   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

When grandparent status and a self destruction auto gearbox loomed, I had to find a load lugging replacement for my slightly tuned 230 bhp 3.0 petrol V6 Peugeot 406 Coupe. I was used to fairly rapid acceleration and good road holding in a classic Italian studio designed body. The XC70 215 bhp D5 didn't seem the obvious replacement but I was surprised at the powerful acceleration that the low rev torque producing 5 cylinder diesel produces. My XC70 has the 4C suspension and when set on the stiffest setting it handles bends almost as well as the Coupe. While it will never have the Ferrari stable looks of the 2+2, for a glorified furniture van, it accelerates as fast, holds its own on bends and eats the miles on long journeys every bit is competently as its sporting predecessor did. I never thought of diesel engines as having performance potential but the huge torque produced doesn't just pull caravans! I still have the Polestar ECU tune-up as an option of I really want to burn extra rubber. (Well being AWD it doesn't actually burn rubber!)
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 18:38   #8
Diego67

Have you thought of a V60 ? I did want a V70 and ended up with a d5 r design V60 although it’s a smaller estate the dogs don’t mind it and it’s not as if there in it all the time . Also had a polestar put on it and it drives heaps better especially with the geartronic .
Diego67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diego67 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 23:17   #9
scootmuldoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego67 View Post
Have you thought of a V60 ? I did want a V70 and ended up with a d5 r design V60 although it’s a smaller estate the dogs don’t mind it and it’s not as if there in it all the time . Also had a polestar put on it and it drives heaps better especially with the geartronic .
Never considered the V60 to be honest but I'll have a look.

Thanks