Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Information regarding EGR related problems and solutions.

Views : 227026

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Did this eliminated your problem?
No 5 21.74%
Sort of... 2 8.70%
Not completely, some problems persist.. 6 26.09%
Yes, everything is working fine now. 10 43.48%
Other option 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 11:29   #21
Alexjansen

My EGR is "one" unit, but still separable. Even separable versions MUSN'T be separated in 2 pieces before taking it out. Like I said, you have to turn the outer part of the EGR with a special tool, otherwise you're going to play with luck and pray that the inner part isn't too stuck.
And as a warning I suggest you take a look at my stuck EGR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-09 17.15.40.jpg (389.4 KB, 165 views)
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 14:23   #22
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biotoxic View Post
It comes in two versions, I had a version that is separated(comes in two parts), the other one comes welded or spot welded together. I didn't said that anyone should brake/split them apart if it is one unit
The two sections of most EGRs fitted to some Volvo diesel engines are joined by collets around the mounting plate holes. These are in effect double ended rivets and are not meant to be split because the EGR is supposed to be removed using a special Volvo tool, called a hook spanner (It's possible to make one fairly easily).
Lots of ham fisted ginger bears just use a pipe wrench, which splits the EGR. The good book then says it is supposed to be replaced if split, although for many diesels the dealers won't clean them. One hours labour to scrub one up to new standard is nearly the cost of a new valve (Might be more in some dealers).

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2014, 14:26   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexjansen View Post
My EGR is "one" unit, but still separable. Even separable versions MUSN'T be separated in 2 pieces before taking it out. Like I said, you have to turn the outer part of the EGR with a special tool, otherwise you're going to play with luck and pray that the inner part isn't too stuck.
And as a warning I suggest you take a look at my stuck EGR.
Nasty pic! Looks like a hammer and chisel survivor.

Old Aug 11th, 2014, 18:54   #24
Alexjansen

Yes I'm going through hell with that D**N EGR... I still have one last thing to try to remove it, that is heating the "collecteur d'admission" (I don't know how it's called in english, well the big metal thing in which the EGR is stuck) with a kind of "hairdrier" (but more powerful, the tool that is used to remove plastic grounds) to try and make the soot melt from the inside, and then work the egr with my hammer and plate screwdriver... I'll tell you what in a couple of days...
Alexjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 19:14   #25
toomsalu

What does the tool look like you are talking about? Can't get the inner part out as well... afraid to break it.
toomsalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 12:56   #26
denthedut

Default help

egr stuck solid on 1.9 v40 flange also braking any hints to remove?
denthedut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 10:10   #27
Biotoxic
Master Member

If it is stuck solid, then alternative would be getting a new(used) inlet manifold with a inner /outer EGR part, then you could remove it EGR housing and clean the inlet manifold( and/or smooth out the inlet ports for a slightly better air flow/performance). It will help with the air flow especially if you have a higher milage car due to soot/gunk build up at the inlet manifold/EGR. This would save you some time as well as it would be a straight part swap.
Sorry for the late reply due to not owning a volvo anymore...
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2015, 18:31   #28
candor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
The two sections of most EGRs fitted to some Volvo diesel engines are joined by collets around the mounting plate holes. These are in effect double ended rivets and are not meant to be split because the EGR is supposed to be removed using a special Volvo tool, called a hook spanner (It's possible to make one fairly easily).
Lots of ham fisted ginger bears just use a pipe wrench, which splits the EGR. The good book then says it is supposed to be replaced if split, although for many diesels the dealers won't clean them. One hours labour to scrub one up to new standard is nearly the cost of a new valve (Might be more in some dealers).
Did you ever get the special removal tool? If so could you post up some pictures and measurements? Think I'll try to fashion my own
candor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2015, 03:51   #29
skyship007
Premier Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by candor View Post
Did you ever get the special removal tool? If so could you post up some pictures and measurements? Think I'll try to fashion my own
Yes, BUT it's in the UK and I'm in the USA at present. It's not been used yet, as my V40 diesel seems to burn it clean as it gets to do a motorway blast every month.

When it causes a lag I will get it cleaned, although removing it will be a PITA as it still has the OEM bolts in it and they should have been changed last time it was cleaned over 100K ago by a Ford stealer.
There is a potential for the mounting bolts to shear off, so it's a classic case of, "If it's not forked, don't try and fix it"!

Old Oct 5th, 2015, 01:45   #30
Biotoxic
Master Member

-----------UPDATE------------

Forget about the carb cleaner... get a brake cleaner and a toothbrush..... That's a lethal combo.... had to clean a slightly dirty bmw egr... 15. minutes later it looked like a brand new... best thing is... it evaporates..
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr problems, hesitating, sluggish, vaiotag