Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Calling CNGBiFuel !

Views : 9634

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2016, 23:13   #1
littlejohn

Default Calling CNGBiFuel !

Hello CNGBifuel.
In a recent thread you made the comment:
"regulator diaphragm can cause poor starting, but is fixed for £30 in parts".
My S60 factory fit Bi-Fuel is getting very hard to start from cold. The fact that the car starts on petrol made me ignore the possibility that the LPG system could have anything to do with it, however your above comment could well prove to be a "eureka" moment! Could you possibly tell me where I can get these £30 worth of parts which may be the solution to my problem?
Many Thanks.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 23:26   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
Hello CNGBifuel.
In a recent thread you made the comment:
"regulator diaphragm can cause poor starting, but is fixed for £30 in parts".
My S60 factory fit Bi-Fuel is getting very hard to start from cold. The fact that the car starts on petrol made me ignore the possibility that the LPG system could have anything to do with it, however your above comment could well prove to be a "eureka" moment! Could you possibly tell me where I can get these £30 worth of parts which may be the solution to my problem?
Many Thanks.
The factory LPG always starts first on petrol as standard ... you need to investigate the petrol side of it .
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 23:54   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If the diaphram goes it does make the engine hard to start on either fuel
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 11:55   #4
littlejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
If the diaphram goes it does make the engine hard to start on either fuel
Just as CNGBiFuel pointed out. So, as I asked initially does anyone know where I can buy the £30 worth of bits he mentions. I'm guessing it's a repair kit which include new diaphragm/s?
Old Jun 18th, 2016, 21:43   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

http://www.lpgonderdelenshop.nl/Repa...tching-quality

http://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-par...er-repair-kit/

http://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-par...-pattern-part/

http://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-par...-pattern-part/
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 01:01   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Not been on here for a while. Yes, sold on ebay, there are two types. I have used regulators about if you want the whole assy.

If the thing has gone you'll find cold starting awkward.

A manometer is going to be useful. Needs to measure babies-breath pressures. And no, a standard vacuum gauge won't do.
Old Jun 27th, 2016, 09:22   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Forgot to say. As my other posting, they often whistle if on the way out. Mine did. Another I've seen didn't. One way to test is to shut down your gas supply, burn off what you have left and see if that cures it. There's anotehr test but you'll need a proper Kpa level manometer for this.

I am a mere amateur on CNG / LPG systems generally, but because I've played about with mine and 4-5 others lots, I reckon I have my head round these Necam types.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 27th, 2016 at 09:27.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 23:10   #8
littlejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Not been on here for a while. Yes, sold on ebay, there are two types. I have used regulators about if you want the whole assy.

If the thing has gone you'll find cold starting awkward.

A manometer is going to be useful. Needs to measure babies-breath pressures. And no, a standard vacuum gauge won't do.

I fitted an overhaul kit from Tinley Tech, all worked fine for about six weeks, then it gradually became hard to start as before from cold. All this week it's been a right pig to start from cold. Finally today it just would not start from cold at all! Maybe I need to get that "manometer" you mentioned, however I have no idea how to use it and what to check for. Is there some book or even an on line guide showing the procedure?
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 23:25   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
I fitted an overhaul kit from Tinley Tech, all worked fine for about six weeks, then it gradually became hard to start as before from cold. All this week it's been a right pig to start from cold. Finally today it just would not start from cold at all! Maybe I need to get that "manometer" you mentioned, however I have no idea how to use it and what to check for. Is there some book or even an on line guide showing the procedure?
starting from cold is done on petrol until it warms up then it switches over to gas ... Unless you are talking about the volvo approved conversions from 1978 to about 1985 where they had a "choke" button which you jabbed whilst starting then it would start on LPG and drive off .
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 09:57   #10
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

My S60 started perfect when cold, but when warm started as if it was flooded. It was the regulator. I bought the kit off ebay and overhauled the one I took off the car with the intention of replacing it again. For no reason other than the one I fitted was a used one.

The repair kit was about £35 delivered, fairly straight forward to install. But as I say, never got on the car.

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote