Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New ABS module programming

Views : 1349

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2017, 13:08   #1
deepupn

Default New ABS module programming

Hi,

I have a 2000 Volvo v70 P80. Recently it has been showing problems with ABS/TRACS. I was thinking of replacing it with a new one and for this I contacted the dealership. The cost of the new module is just shy of €750, but the Volvo mechanic said that it needs to be reprogrammed and then the all inclusive total will be €1000. Is it true that the new module needs to be re-programmed?

I asked the Volvo mechanic that, to make 100% sure the problem is with ABS module, to install a spare abs module and check. He said that ABS module of another car, even if the model is same, will not work. I don't know if it is true, experts here can comment on that.

Note to all. I tried re soldering the pins and the ABS/TRACS warning is still there. I don't want to spend €70 on ABS sensor, if the problem is with the module. So I want to be totally sure of the origin of this issue rather than go on replacing parts that are simply not necessary at this time.

Thanking you all in advance for your replies
deepupn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 15:35   #2
C70 98

AFAIK there are three different modules for the 850/X70, ABS only, ABS + TRACS, and ABS + STC. I have used an ABS only box from a 850 in a C70 with ABS + TRACS without issues, you lose the traction control though but no warning lights. I also tried the 850 ABS only and a V70 ABS + TRACS in a C70 with ABS + STC, that threw up error lights on ABS and STC. Another box from a V70 with ABS + STC worked without issues.

Any module with the same combination of ABS and traction control system will work, without any new software.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C70 98 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 18:30   #3
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

got a load of these modules on the shelf. put your part number up and ill see if ive got a match. £20 posted if ive got a match

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 09:51   #4
scutyde
Retrofit master

There is no Software involved in the replacement. Just get the correct unit as there are diferences between MY:
-98 with TRACS or without
99 with TRACS or without
2000 with STC or without.
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scutyde For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 00:00   #5
deepupn

Thanks DunkinBiskits. I have sent pm. Hope you got it.
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 00:22   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepupn View Post
Hi,

I have a 2000 Volvo v70 P80. Recently it has been showing problems with ABS/TRACS. I was thinking of replacing it with a new one and for this I contacted the dealership. The cost of the new module is just shy of €750, but the Volvo mechanic said that it needs to be reprogrammed and then the all inclusive total will be €1000. Is it true that the new module needs to be re-programmed?

I asked the Volvo mechanic that, to make 100% sure the problem is with ABS module, to install a spare abs module and check. He said that ABS module of another car, even if the model is same, will not work. I don't know if it is true, experts here can comment on that.

Note to all. I tried re soldering the pins and the ABS/TRACS warning is still there. I don't want to spend €70 on ABS sensor, if the problem is with the module. So I want to be totally sure of the origin of this issue rather than go on replacing parts that are simply not necessary at this time.

Thanking you all in advance for your replies
no software needed before chassis no 171000 ! This is around 2002 i believe .. you need to know if you have just STC or DSTC though
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 09:08   #7
deepupn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no software needed before chassis no 171000 ! This is around 2002 i believe .. you need to know if you have just STC or DSTC though
Hi Clan, I have the P80 and it only has STC as there is is this STC button on the dashboard. I think the DSTC option came in with later upgraded models, I may be wrong about that.

I am also attaching the picture of my ABS module.

Note: Being a noob and somewhat stupid to ask at this stage, initially I thought that there was only one fuse in the main fuse box for ABS. But later I found that there is also one in the secondary fuse box. The thing is while removing and re-installing the abs module, I forgot to take out the fuse in the secondary fuse box. Was that a stupid thing to do? Could it have damaged anything?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171126_125249.jpg (109.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by deepupn; Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:46.
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 10:55   #8
Steve440
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinBiskits View Post
got a load of these modules on the shelf. put your part number up and ill see if ive got a match. £20 posted if ive got a match
I'm after a fictional ABS/Tracs module, part number 9162675. Hope you can help.
Steve440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 12:11   #9
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve440 View Post
I'm after a fictional ABS/Tracs module, part number 9162675. Hope you can help.
PM sent mate

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 12:49   #10
C70 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepupn View Post
Hi Clan, I have the P80 and it only has STC as there is is this STC button on the dashboard. I think the DSTC option came in with later upgraded models, I may be wrong about that.

I am also attaching the picture of my ABS module.

Note: Being a noob and somewhat stupid to ask at this stage, initially I thought that there was only one fuse in the main fuse box for ABS. But later I found that there is also one in the secondary fuse box. The thing is while removing and re-installing the abs module, I forgot to take out the fuse in the secondary fuse box. Was that a stupid thing to do? Could it have damaged anything?

Thanks.

That is definitely the ABS + STC module. I've never pulled any fuses, or disconnected the battery when swapping these, never had any problems.
C70 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C70 98 For This Useful Post: