Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PV544 secondary VIN

Views : 2465

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2017, 06:38   #1
memrys

Default PV544 secondary VIN

Greetings,
I have just acquired a Volvo pv544, and, long story short, I need to get a VIN verification to get title in the state of California. Of course, they require *2* VIN locations to verify.
I know where the plate on the cowl is, but in a lot of cars, there's a second VIN hidden somewhere else (on my 62 Studebaker GT Hawk, it's on the frame behind the gas tank), but I've no idea where to look for it on the PV544, and haven't been able to find anything on the great and powerful internet that suggests where it might be, so I'm hoping that somewhere on here might be able to enlighten me.

Thank you,
John
memrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 10:06   #2
arcturus
arcturus

I have never heard of a secondary vin on a PV. On a modern car perhaps. Will make inquiries.What year?

Last edited by arcturus; Dec 9th, 2017 at 12:51.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 14:12   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Dan Jansson
Dan Jansson 9:30am Dec 9
From PV544B (VIN # 295500) the VIN number is stamped on the firewall above the heater unit. On earlier models the chassis number is only on the VIN plate.
Old Dec 9th, 2017, 17:58   #4
memrys

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Dan Jansson
Dan Jansson 9:30am Dec 9
From PV544B (VIN # 295500) the VIN number is stamped on the firewall above the heater unit. On earlier models the chassis number is only on the VIN plate.
Thank you.
It is a 1962 if that helps.
That's sort of what I was afraid of. the VIN on the firewall plate is easily accessible (though the heater unit on mine is gone), but California now requires 2 VINs for VIN verification. The fact that the vehicle did not come with two VINs is merely an indication that something hinkey is going on, and therefore the vehicle must be taken to the California Highway Patrol office 100 miles away, by appointment only, and only during working hours, so that they can inspect and investigate it, and then give it a new VIN number.

It wasn't a US federal requirement to have 2 VINs until the mid 60's, but since my other 1962 did have a second VIN stamped into the frame, I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and the Volvo would have it too.

I didn't realize this was a UK forum when I signed up, but I didn't see a lot of forums that covered the PV. There were a lot of forums that covered my 244DL when I had one, but not so many for the PV.

Anyway,
Thank you again,
John
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 03:43   #5
blueosprey90
Master Member

Perhaps these will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BlXxzNceEs

This is in two parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sWBqgP1PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgK4pbaA1g

In Connecticut, I was able to go to an emissions inspection station to verify the VIN. I simply told the guy that there was not a second location for the vin. He checked that box on the form, and I was able to get my car registered without further difficulty.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 20:16   #6
memrys

Wow!
Thank you! While that probably won't help with this particular car (due to it being in DMV records as a California junked car), I've had several vehicles over the years where this would have been incredibly useful to know.

I did note that in the second video for Vermont, it mentions that VIN verification will be required in your state when doing the title in your home state. If that's the case, I'd be back to the same issue. Somewhere between 2013 and 2015, California changed the law to REQUIRE 2 VINs for VIN verification. If your vehicle does not have 2 VINs, then it must go to California Highway patrol for inspection and issuance of a new VIN. Mobile registration companies (and any law enforcement official) can do VIN verification, but even they would have to find a second VIN to my knowledge. The form even requires that you specify where the second VIN was found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
Perhaps these will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BlXxzNceEs

This is in two parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8sWBqgP1PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pgK4pbaA1g

In Connecticut, I was able to go to an emissions inspection station to verify the VIN. I simply told the guy that there was not a second location for the vin. He checked that box on the form, and I was able to get my car registered without further difficulty.
Old Dec 10th, 2017, 20:30   #7
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ya ,

It’s probably painted over so with the vin plate #1 vin on car , rub the engine bay down on firewall / bulk head and also down each side to find #2 vin number stamped in the car it’s there you just gotta find it ! Bare metal the engine bay if you must but you will find it to secure the criteria needed for your checks

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote