Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dipped beam LED replacements? H7

Views : 1452

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2020, 18:52   #1
mark2410

Default Dipped beam LED replacements? H7

Since the LED lights i bought from LEDperf which they claim wont give an obd error (but they do) are going back is there any H7 LED dipped headlight bulbs that anyone might recommend and that wont set off the "Bulb failure" warning?
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 19:13   #2
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
Since the LED lights i bought from LEDperf which they claim wont give an obd error (but they do) are going back is there any H7 LED dipped headlight bulbs that anyone might recommend and that wont set off the "Bulb failure" warning?
Just my penny thought here.

Why dont you get a Xenon kit instead? I cant see how the Led lamps would emit enough light on the road? But I bought a 55w Xenon kit 5000k and it's amazing. No warning lights nothing! Obviously make sure you get a cambus error kit. But yea that all
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 19:52   #3
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post

Why dont you get a Xenon kit instead? I cant see how the Led lamps would emit enough light on the road? But I bought a 55w Xenon kit 5000k and it's amazing. No warning lights nothing! Obviously make sure you get a cambus error kit. But yea that all
how did you install the self leveling for the xenons?
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2020, 19:59   #4
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

other than it being a instant MOT fail, that is

BOTH of you need to wake up, READ the rules on lighting before doing anything else.

MOT invalid by illegal headlight bulbs "cos its cool innit" stacks up Nice against the validity of your insurance ,,

if your after better light on the road , go have a look at the MANY detailed threads on here on how to improve the lights Legally
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 00:53   #5
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
other than it being a instant MOT fail, that is

BOTH of you need to wake up, READ the rules on lighting before doing anything else.

MOT invalid by illegal headlight bulbs "cos its cool innit" stacks up Nice against the validity of your insurance ,,

if your after better light on the road , go have a look at the MANY detailed threads on here on how to improve the lights Legally
Hi Andy.

I understand what your saying and appreciate your comment. But my car has passed MOT every time. My Lights have never come into fault. Also, i've notified my insurance company aka FootmanJames that I've upgraded my lamps too xenons.

So i believe my car is legal. Also, i can't give a toss about the "cos its cool innit" As my intentions were for better light output which i achieved.
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 08:21   #6
Welton
Premier Member

The MOT place only test for the 'aim' of the headlamps to make sure they're not too high or pointing too far left/right.

The insurance company probably don't fully understand what you've done there.

I would be concerned that (god forbid) you had an accident, someone was seriously hurt, and an investigation was carried out; the insurance companies engineer will see that the headlights have been modified from standard.

The light source (bulb) has to be certified with the reflector design to comply with 'type approval' regulations. If an expert approached Volvo about fitting another manufacturers HID/LED light source they'd simply say it doesn't comply and is therefore unsuitable (even if the beam pattern appears to be satisfactory in practice).

I fully agree the standard halogen lamps are rubbish but would always be cautious in modifying them. I run those '+ output' bulbs (Osram or Philips usually), clean the projectors, check the silver on the reflectors, run the horizontal aim to within MOT regs and most of all turn down the dashboard lighting to minimum (amazing the difference that makes to your forward vision).
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 08:58   #7
lockstock

Quote:
Hi Andy.

I understand what your saying and appreciate your comment. But my car has passed MOT every time. My Lights have never come into fault. Also, i've notified my insurance company aka FootmanJames that I've upgraded my lamps too xenons.

So i believe my car is legal. Also, i can't give a toss about the "cos its cool innit" As my intentions were for better light output which i achieved.
Like a lot of things, it will only become a problem if you cause an accident. No self leveling and no headlight washers... it should be a fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 21:50   #8
mark2410

as i understood it via EU directive its no longer allowed to discriminate on the light creation method so long as it complies with beam pattern and luminosity rules
mark2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 22:59   #9
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2410 View Post
as i understood it via EU directive its no longer allowed to discriminate on the light creation method so long as it complies with beam pattern and luminosity rules
This is for the purposes of certification I believe. Your lights will have been certified based on halogen. If you change the bulbs, even if you 'judge' that the beam pattern is acceptable, it won't make the set up legal.
Old May 28th, 2020, 07:59   #10
Welton
Premier Member

I see a 2006 BMW 3 series most mornings with HID-adapted reflector headlamps and the beam aim/pattern is flipping dangerous to other drivers, in the dark his oncoming lights are so dazzling that once he passes you you're left with temporary blindness until your eyes adjust.

Still, he gets to see where he's going a little bit better so that's fine.....
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post: