Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem after fitting new engine mounts

Views : 2096

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2020, 20:51   #1
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

Default Problem after fitting new engine mounts

Volvo V70 D5 Euro IV 185 with Manual Gearbox. I thought the car was a bit rough at idle so today I fitted new front and rear vacuum engine mounts a new control valve and checked the hoses. The old ones were definitely past it. I followed SiRobbs excellent you tube video on how to do it.

I was a bit stuck on how to get the vacuum hose elbow back into the rear mount but then I had a brainwave. I pushed the elbow into the vacuum hose then leaning right over the engine so I could see down and through the hole in the rear backet. I then fed the elbow through the side of mounting bracket so it was over the rubber rimmed hole then using a very long screwdriver I pushed it into the hole. Took a couple of minutes.

However when I started the car the cooling fan immediately came on full blast, the temp gauge jumped to normal although the car was cold and it seemed like there was a flat spot between 700 and 1100 rpm.

I have had a problem with the fan and temp gauge before which I fixed and is described here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=299003&page=4 but that was after having a coolant leak.

Any ideas?

Thanks
TurboDiesel2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 10:42   #2
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

This temp gauge and fan problem happened after swapping the vacuum engine mounts but also after both dipped headlights failing at the same time and then a side light a couple of days earlier. I have also noticed a reluctance for the starter to turn the engine over when hot so I wondered if perhaps it is an earth problem.

I cancelled the error codes and without starting the engine I disconnected the battery. I cleaned all the earth connections I could find in the engine compartment - 3 on each inner wing, and the cable that goes from underneath the starter motor to behind the n/s headlight. and checked the battery connections.

The car started ok but then the temp gauge and fan came on as before, I cleared the codes again and then it seemed to settle down. I switched off, let it cool and tried again and this time all seemed ok.

Then this morning after about 30 mins of driving a High Engine Temperature Stop Engine message suddenly flashed up and disappeared. It did this several times. The coolant level is ok with no fluid lost and the temp gauge is in the middle of the gauge.

Any ideas on what is happening?
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 12:56   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Coolant Temperature Sensor? Did you write the codes down before eraasing?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 13:04   #4
GeoffNorthWales

Can I ask what make of engine mounts did you go for as need to do the exact same job on my 55 plate v70 d5 and looking on ebay seems a few makers so don't want to buy duff mounts
GeoffNorthWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 14:31   #5
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

Georgeandkira - No I forgot to record the codes.

GeoffNorthWales - I used genuine Volvo ones sourced via ebay. However if you watch SiRobb's excellent video on YouTube he does a comparison between a Volvo one and a cheaper third party one (Meyle & Corteco I think) and concludes they are probably made by the same company. SiRobb also has a video showing how to do the swap which is very useful.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 18:18   #6
GeoffNorthWales

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel2006 View Post
Georgeandkira - No I forgot to record the codes.

GeoffNorthWales - I used genuine Volvo ones sourced via ebay. However if you watch SiRobb's excellent video on YouTube he does a comparison between a Volvo one and a cheaper third party one (Meyle & Corteco I think) and concludes they are probably made by the same company. SiRobb also has a video showing how to do the swap which is very useful.
Thanks Turbo Diesel 2006, I have seen SiRobbs vids they are a great help, my engine is making the funny sound that says the vac mounts are kaput and get a vibration when small rev from tickover to approx 900 to 1000 rpm so think the mounts are defo the culprits, I did see the comparison vidio and also the one on the oil filters by mann are the same as genuine Volvo but half the price
GeoffNorthWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 20:53   #7
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

Driving home this evening I'm still getting the High Engine Temperature Stop Safely message flashing up but the coolant level is at max and the gauge is stable on normal.

When I parked up the engine fan came on with full power for about 3 mins followed by another approx 2 mins of slower speed. The error code is ECM2000. The measurements I'm getting are:
Coolant Temp -20.02 deg C
Intake air temp MAF 34.26 deg C (outside temp is about 6 deg C)
Intake air temp sensor 24.91 deg C
Fuel temp sensor 62.56 deg C

Clearly something is wrong. Does anybody have any experience of this?
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 15:14   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel2006 View Post
Coolant Temp -20.02 deg C
Intake air temp MAF 34.26 deg C (outside temp is about 6 deg C)
Intake air temp sensor 24.91 deg C
Fuel temp sensor 62.56 deg C
Check intake air temperature on a stone cold engine with just ignition on then whilst driving around.
Temperature should match ambient within a couple of degrees with ignition on and be around 5-10°C higher than ambient when driving around.
IAT will be significantly higher than ambient on a stationary car with a warm engine.

Test the coolant temperature as per my video here and report back.
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 20:25   #9
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile a nice simple dvm test

Did you mean -20.02 for the coolant temp, or is there an extra - ( minus ) in there ?

I would try measuring the coolant temp sensor (its an ntc thermistor from memory) post the readings your getting at stone cold and also when fully warmed up (just discon the 2 pin connector when its off and measure with a dvm on resistance) you should see a noticeable difference, also as the engine coolant 'cools' youll see a changing value albeit this takes many .. many hours to cool to ambient temp.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 20:21   #10
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

Thank you for the replies. I have tried to clear the ECM-2000 code using Vida but it re-appears withing a couple of seconds.

I have checked the resistance across the terminals of the temp sender while using a laser thermometer on the housing and and they are pretty much bang on correct
23 deg C 2.0 kohm
30 deg C 1.5 kohm
39 deg C 1.0 kohm
50 deg C 0.75 kohm

When cold i.e. not used overnight Vida says the reading is -20.85 dec C which is a bit out as it was about +7 at lowest. When I start the car the temp jumps to 89.95 deg then after a while it starts jumping round all over the place i.e. +149 deg C, - XX deg C. The cooling fan comes on at full speed immediately on start up. It does slow after a while but doesn't appear to stop. When I switch the engine off the fan goes full pelt for a while then slows to medium for several minutes before stopping but the engine is nowhere near hot.

I have checked the temp sensor cable for continuity to pins 56 and 60 and all is ok. I have checked the voltage across the connector coming from the ECM and it is giving me 0.1 VDC. I thought this was supposed to be 5 VDC but I don't know why I though this.

I have checked the pin connectors on the ECM and they all look clean with no signs of corrosion.

Any ideas?