Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem after fitting new engine mounts

Views : 2111

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2020, 16:23   #21
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel2006 View Post
Thank you for the advice. Will the engine run if No 1 multiway plug at the ECM is disconnected so I can measure the voltage across the pins 56 & 60 or can I remove the back of the plug? Previously I have measured it with ignition on only.
I don't know but right now, that isn't a test I'd be doing anyway.
Testing for a stable voltage across the ECT plug contacts would be my priority then I'd take it from there.
If the 5V drops out, further testing of each plug contact with a known good alternative live and ground would be next.

ECM 2000 can be signal too high or signal too low and Vida will show different possibilities for the cause depending on which precise code description you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2020, 20:18   #22
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

Ah I misunderstood I though you meant checking the ECM kept a stable voltage across pins 56 and 60.

I have previously put the multi-meter across the ECT terminals but I get 0 volts which is why I tested at the ECM and then the continuity of the wires and the resistance from ECM to ECT.

This evening I tested again and as before I was getting 5V at the ECM but nothing at the ECT connector. I then traced the cable back to the ECM and when I moved it I suddenly get 5V at the ECT. The engine then ran more smoothly, I cleared the codes, ECM-2000 was gone and on starting the engine immediately settled into a 700rpm idle. All of which is good but also bad because I now think there is a short or bad connection somewhere in the loom between the ECM and the ECT. (I had a similar problem before which I wrote up on this forum thinking that I had cleared it).

This seems potentially very difficult and/or expensive to fix. I don't know if I can get a new engine loom from Volvo or if I buy a second hand one will it be any better than my 14 year old loom. This is really annoying as I really like the car, structurally it is solid and I have invested recently in new tyres, front control arms, engine mounts, brake calipers and hoses. Not sure what to do next.
TurboDiesel2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboDiesel2006 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 08:46   #23
Tomoose

Well you've pinpointed the problem, excellent work, what a wonderful forum this is! Thank you to everyone who posted as this is a really good example of fault finding which will be viewed by many over the coming months and years.

The problem is more likely to be a connecter rather than a wire itself. Have a thorough visual inspection of the loom, is there any rubbing or splits, any fluid contamination, any signs of melting or burning? Is it routed correctly and in any clips and standoffs etc. correctly? Any obvious modifications or previous repairs?

Have a very careful look at the wiring connectors, does the wiring feel secure, are the sealing grommets in place, is there any exposed copper, is there any oxidation, do the pins feel secure etc.?

Replacing and re-terminating at the connectors is probably well within your capability, and there are lots of YouTube videos on how to do it. Alternatively it will be easy enough to source enough of a wiring loom from a scrap car which you can test on the bench and splice in if necessary.

Don't give up now!!
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.

Last edited by Tomoose; Apr 28th, 2020 at 08:49.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 18:57   #24
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile loom

Wiring problems could be vibration related, where the cable bundle rubs something or somethinglike the engine movement over time stresses the cable somewhere.. post a pic of the area where you found the movement seemed to fix the problem, also try using a mirror on a stick to get another view if its an area you cant easily view. As tomoose says you must be on the right track, generally the quality of cabling and connectors in volvos is good, but water and corrosion are often the culprits.. most things can be repaired with some care and heatshrink..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 20:32   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel2006 View Post
Ah I misunderstood I though you meant checking the ECM kept a stable voltage across pins 56 and 60.

I have previously put the multi-meter across the ECT terminals but I get 0 volts which is why I tested at the ECM and then the continuity of the wires and the resistance from ECM to ECT.

This evening I tested again and as before I was getting 5V at the ECM but nothing at the ECT connector. I then traced the cable back to the ECM and when I moved it I suddenly get 5V at the ECT. The engine then ran more smoothly, I cleared the codes, ECM-2000 was gone and on starting the engine immediately settled into a 700rpm idle. All of which is good but also bad because I now think there is a short or bad connection somewhere in the loom between the ECM and the ECT. (I had a similar problem before which I wrote up on this forum thinking that I had cleared it).

This seems potentially very difficult and/or expensive to fix. I don't know if I can get a new engine loom from Volvo or if I buy a second hand one will it be any better than my 14 year old loom. This is really annoying as I really like the car, structurally it is solid and I have invested recently in new tyres, front control arms, engine mounts, brake calipers and hoses. Not sure what to do next.
It is very likely the loom has rubbed through somewhere on it's way from the ECU to the TEMP sender . I've seen this fault a few times , a simple fix if you can check every inch of the loom on the front of the engine.
Old May 9th, 2020, 16:02   #26
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

The area where if I move it it momentarily resolves is where the loom goes under the MAF sensor to the front of the engine.

There are no obvious signs of wear from the outside. The outer corrugated black plastic sheath appears good and is still in one piece as are all the supporting clips. The loom is properly supported where it clips onto the air-intake adjacent the throttle body.

I have rolled back the mesh around the loom where it comes out of the connector and I can identify the twisted pair of thermostat wires. They look sound but I am reluctant to take the ECU connector apart.

I think I have probably reached the limit of my knowledge and ability with the tools I have so I am going to call an auto-electrician and ask him or her to look at it. I think this might be a case where an expert with the right tools could save me hours of work and frustration

I live in Suffolk if anybody has any recommendations for an auto-electrician. Otherwise it is google and yellow pages.
Old May 31st, 2020, 17:32   #27
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

I thought I would update on progress. I took the car to a local auto electrics specilaist and gave him all my test results.

He looked at loom under the MAF and found a slight break with a tiny amount of corrosion on one of the wires in the loom. Its looks to be pinched and has then broken the sheath. This was repaired and he then ran a seies of tests over the next 24 hours to see if the problem re-occurred and so far it hasn't. 'Touch wood' the temperature gauge now behaves itself, I'm not getting overheating messages, the cooling fan is not running at max all the time and the car starts and runs as normal. In fact with the new engine mounts it is smoother than it was before. I had noticed a significant (10%) drop in fuel consumption so I will be interested to see if that now improves.

Having found the fault the auto-electrician didn't trace the wire to its destination so I don't know if it was a ECT wire that was broken or another that was earthing out and causing the problem. Pleased that it is now running a whole lot better though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurboDiesel2006 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2020, 17:41   #28
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

My photo upload failed as the file size was too large so here goes again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Broken Wire.jpg (126.6 KB, 26 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TurboDiesel2006 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 11:59   #29
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

what was the problem? those wires look freshly cut
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 16:47   #30
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

These were the pictures taken by the auto-electrician after he had cut out the corroded part of the wire.

It is three weeks now since he repaired the wire and 'touch wood' all has been ok. Fuel consumption has started to improve as well.