Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Well I Never .....

Views : 991

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 18:55   #11
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's amazing how much difference that small percentage of meths/methanol makes in the washer fluid.Bob!

Maybe Zoflora/Dettol/Flash or similar added to the washer fluid will help, i know i added some Flash multisurface cleaner to a plain water fill to see if it would help - seems to have done but i'm using an ECP own brand screenwash at the moment, so far, so good. Only been using it a few months though so can't be 100% certain yet.
Yes Dave. I am going to stay with the Prestone stuff and see how it goes. Seem to remember that some years ago (!!) I used to put a dash of meths in the washer bottle.

As to the MOT .... it's amazing what gets finally done a couple of days before and in readiness for an MOT. As you know this little refurb has been gathering momentum and dust over about 3 years or so. Finally done!! However, I am going to stick them in the back and get 'my man' to fit them. I know it's easy but, spread a little largess in these troubled times.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boge eXtreme (Sach) Nivomats Refurb 1.jpg (153.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Boge eXtreme (Sach) Nivomats Refurb 2.jpg (152.4 KB, 12 views)
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 19:56   #12
dingov70
Master Member

Yup , it is stunning to view all the freshly mangles fittings / incorrectly installed bulbs / tyres re-cut with a soldering iron ( kid you not ! ) / bacofoil sealing exhaust & clingfilm over corrosion holes , followed by the plaintive cries of be gentle Etc......... as you drive their pride & joy towards oblivion ( or the test lane as its known )

It's F£$&^&G GREAT being an MOT tester , more feared than the inland revenue lot
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 20:25   #13
taiwan740

I was once a fool and used to top up the screenwash with only water back in the day. My car then sat for a few months as I went abroad. Returned and got a face full of god-knows-what, it had turned stagnant and was very nasty indeed.

You can actually get Legionnaires from it too, when you thought corona was enough to worry about...

https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-an...m-wiper-water/
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 20:31   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Prestone screenwash is very good and no algae build up at all.

It leaves a smearfree finish and I now use it for general house window cleaning.

I mix it 9:1 with water in a spray bottle, wipe it over the window with an old tea towel and buff with a dry tea towel. - it beats all the proprietary window cleaners I have used over the years including newspaper and vinegar.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2020, 22:50   #15
mhuk

I use some bleech in mine. Even the charge cooler and water injection gets some bleech
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 19:34   #16
bob12
bob12

Final post from me on this Thread .... as the '90 745 looks forward to its 31st year with a new clean pass MOT, and subsequently the new (or should I say 'refreshed') Nivomats fitted. 'We' look forward to some more years motoring for my bucks ..... if I can make up my mind how I can justify to myself running the 745 and the 'new' V70.

Cheers, Bob.

Last edited by bob12; Aug 10th, 2020 at 19:48.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 20:05   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Congrats on the pass Bob and my advice (as if you hadn't already guessed it) is keep the 745.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: