Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 reservoir float sensor

Views : 521

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 20:15   #1
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 960 reservoir float sensor

hi all
i have a spare 960 coolant reservoir the one with the hole in the bottom that take the probe to the float sensor i see the the sensor has 2 wires with the male fit twin fitting
can this be conectected into my standard coolant electrics some way to send a warning that the coolant level is low in my reservoir and possibly fit a sound sensor into the system
any advice most welcome
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 21:37   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Just a little information addition both the 97 and 98 940 I have have the float in the coolant tank with the fitting in the bottom, so I believe all coolant tanks have the float and fitting it just needs the sensor.

There is most likely a plug next to the coolant reservoir on the black plastic sheathing for the looms that plugs in to a false socket, both the 97 and 98 940 have this which I believe is for the coolant level sensor.

Last edited by 360beast; Aug 9th, 2020 at 23:40.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2020, 22:03   #3
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default coolant sensor

thanks luke
my car being a 1995 model diesel may have a different wiring set up as i have a
tempreture sensor at the front of the engine
its under the alternator so its a alternator off job that has 2 wires coming from it
but must link up to the tempreture gauge which does not work my reg is M617WJO if you have access to any electric drawing you might be able to guide me
regards jim
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 00:12   #4
gpl1968
VOC Member

The 940 never had the coolant level sensor fitted but the later 940s used the same coolant tank and instrument panel layout as the 960/S90/V90 that did.

There is an article here that takes you through the process of fitting one.

I fitted one some years ago with parts sourced from another forum member and it saved the engine on a number of occasions when a hose split or heater valve failed etc.

The easiest way is to use parts from a donor 960/S90/V90.
You need the connector that attaches to the reed switch sensor in the tank, which has two wires. One is the ground which goes down to an earth block behind the O/S lights and the other goes to the back of the instrument cluster.
You also need one of the crimped contacts extracted from an instrument panel connector (yours will have an empty bay) and a lamp and lamp holder for the warning light.

With these parts it is a fairly easy, although fiddly, job to fit and the result is this when you turn the ignition on:

If you shine a torch at your instrument panel you could probably see if it has the coolant lamp position (to the right of the ABS).

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]

Last edited by gpl1968; Aug 10th, 2020 at 00:15.
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 00:19   #5
gpl1968
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
There is most likely a plug next to the coolant reservoir on the black plastic sheathing for the looms that plugs in to a false socket, both the 97 and 98 940 have this which I believe is for the coolant level sensor.
My 940 didn't have any wiring for the coolant lamp but it does have the alarm siren next to the coolant tank. If yours doesn't have the siren that may be the purpose for the spare connector.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 08:16   #6
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
My 940 didn't have any wiring for the coolant lamp but it does have the alarm siren next to the coolant tank. If yours doesn't have the siren that may be the purpose for the spare connector.
Mine has the siren in the cage under the washer bottle, the spare connector on both the 97 and 98 940 is a two pin connector where as the siren is about 4 pins.

Not a clue what it is for then if it isn't for the sensor.

Last edited by 360beast; Aug 10th, 2020 at 08:23.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 21:24   #7
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
The 940 never had the coolant level sensor fitted but the later 940s used the same coolant tank and instrument panel layout as the 960/S90/V90 that did.

There is an article here that takes you through the process of fitting one.

I fitted one some years ago with parts sourced from another forum member and it saved the engine on a number of occasions when a hose split or heater valve failed etc.

The easiest way is to use parts from a donor 960/S90/V90.
You need the connector that attaches to the reed switch sensor in the tank, which has two wires. One is the ground which goes down to an earth block behind the O/S lights and the other goes to the back of the instrument cluster.
You also need one of the crimped contacts extracted from an instrument panel connector (yours will have an empty bay) and a lamp and lamp holder for the warning light.

With these parts it is a fairly easy, although fiddly, job to fit and the result is this when you turn the ignition on:

If you shine a torch at your instrument panel you could probably see if it has the coolant lamp position (to the right of the ABS).
Adding to this, there's usually a "spare" bulb in the socket that's marked "SER-VICE" in the US models. If not, take one from the trailer indicator (if you don't tow anything), or the amber arrow (if you have a manual).

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 19:36   #8
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default float sensor

thank you all for the input
got a bit of how to do this fix johnny90
there are the 2 wire float sensors on ebay i do have one its old with bared wires taped up but need to put a test on it can it be done with a multimeter and how?
so 1 wire goes to earth thats ok .but the other goes somehow to the spare dash lamp or LOW screen wash light but how is it connected to the bulb or have i got things wrong sorry . pretty sure there are no wires in place to do this job but again i don't honestly know .
regards jim
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 19:43   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
there are the 2 wire float sensors on ebay i do have one its old with bared wires taped up but need to put a test on it can it be done with a multimeter and how?
regards jim
Set your multimeter on continuity/diode test Jim (Concorde symbol with a line through i think you described it as) and touch the probes to each other - you should see 0.000 on the display and hear a high pitched buzzer indicating the meter is working and so are the probes.

Now put one probe on each bare wire from the level switch, in the normal upright position of the tank you should get continuity with it empty.
Now turn the tank upside down and retest - you shouldn't get continuity as this simulates the float being lifted by the coolant.

If you can wrap the bare wire ends round your probe tips you can turn the tank upside down and back to the right way up to prove the float is moving and by doing this you should get an on-off-on response from the meter as you turn it from normal to upside down and back again.

As for the wiring of the bulb, others have already started on that so rather than try and add to that which could cause confusion, i'll let them finish it. If they don't, give me a shout and i'll try to pick up where they left off.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 19:44   #10
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
so 1 wire goes to earth thats ok .but the other goes somehow to the spare dash lamp or LOW screen wash light but how is it connected to the bulb or have i got things wrong sorry . pretty sure there are no wires in place to do this job but again i don't honestly know .
regards jim
There won’t be any existing wires so you’ll have to thread it through the engine bay, through a gromit in the firewall and up to the back of the dash.
There’s a link further up the thread to a instructional thread. Well worth reading through and understanding what you need to do before you start work 👍
You’ll need to hardwire in the wire from the sensor to the back of the dials in the correct location and fit a bulb in the correct socket (from places I’ve mentioned previously).

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post: