Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 1774694

Replies : 4083

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 25th, 2020, 18:08   #1541
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
How do you keep doing that Dave? I look for an item, fail miserably, tell you and 5 minutes later I have a link to it.

The MCB is ordered (right form factor, should fit straight onto the buzz bar); coming from HK so I suppose it will be here in about 3 weeks, but I've lived with the old set up for 11 years so that is no great problem.

Thank you my friend.
You're welcome Alan, spent many years as a solo maintenance engineer having to source various items from various different places as the newer versions were incompatible or NLA so got used to thinking a different way when searching.

Glad to be able to help anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2020, 18:28   #1542
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're welcome Alan, spent many years as a solo maintenance engineer having to source various items from various different places as the newer versions were incompatible or NLA so got used to thinking a different way when searching.

Glad to be able to help anyway!
Excellent.

I've just checked the good book and notice the maximum earth fault loop impedance for a C20 is just about half that for a B20 - but won't actually make any difference to a PME system (Z(S) is well under an ohm, as one might expect). So that will be fine.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 13:27   #1543
Othen
Premier Member

Default The Royal Barge's Roof

People may recall that the paint on the RB's roof was quite faded due to the sun when I bought it back in February - compounded by the awful shark's fin spoiler that I just had to remove (which left a brighter green patch beneath and where it had been stet).

I used this as an excuse to buy myself a mechanical polisher and have had a go at the roof this morn (it is a glorious day here). I was hoping for a miraculous improvement that scrubbed away the years, just like Ed China achieves on Wheeler Dealers. The outcome (after a scrub with the cutting compound and a good polish afterwards) is an definite improvement but isn't as good as I was hoping for.

I don't think I can go any deeper with the cutting compound without starting to rub through the paint, so I have a few options:

a. Get a professional respray - I think we can discount this from the outset, the car is Cyprus Metallic Green and would be almost impossible to match after 40 years - so the whole car would have to be prepared and painted, and it just isn't worth enough to make that viable.

b. Rattle can spray the roof myself - this is a good possibility, and wouldn't cost much (about £50 worth of Volvo 136 and some elbow grease). I have already done the boot (some months ago), which is okay - but isn't the same shade as the old paint surrounding it after all those photons hitting it for the past 40 years.

c. Rattle can the roof a different colour - probably black to match the tops of the wings. It might be okay - but might look a bit naff.

d. Leave it alone; accept the paint is 40 years old and give it a good polish to keep the sun and rain off from time to time.

... I'm thinking aloud with this one: option 'd' is probably the best way to go.

:-)
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 14:14   #1544
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
People may recall that the paint on the RB's roof was quite faded due to the sun when I bought it back in February - compounded by the awful shark's fin spoiler that I just had to remove (which left a brighter green patch beneath and where it had been stet).

I used this as an excuse to buy myself a mechanical polisher and have had a go at the roof this morn (it is a glorious day here). I was hoping for a miraculous improvement that scrubbed away the years, just like Ed China achieves on Wheeler Dealers. The outcome (after a scrub with the cutting compound and a good polish afterwards) is an definite improvement but isn't as good as I was hoping for.

I don't think I can go any deeper with the cutting compound without starting to rub through the paint, so I have a few options:

a. Get a professional respray - I think we can discount this from the outset, the car is Cyprus Metallic Green and would be almost impossible to match after 40 years - so the whole car would have to be prepared and painted, and it just isn't worth enough to make that viable.

b. Rattle can spray the roof myself - this is a good possibility, and wouldn't cost much (about £50 worth of Volvo 136 and some elbow grease). I have already done the boot (some months ago), which is okay - but isn't the same shade as the old paint surrounding it after all those photons hitting it for the past 40 years.

c. Rattle can the roof a different colour - probably black to match the tops of the wings. It might be okay - but might look a bit naff.

d. Leave it alone; accept the paint is 40 years old and give it a good polish to keep the sun and rain off from time to time.

... I'm thinking aloud with this one: option 'd' is probably the best way to go.

:-)
You forgot Option e Alan!

I kow the 70s were the main haydays of the black vinyl roof but given your car is 1980 it could easily have been carried over and would have been a period accessory and maybe (but not sure on this) a factory option. I know Ford offered the black vinyl roof as an option on most of their cars and some other colours too. The texture makes them look better than black paint, you can buy textured paint that allegedly gives a vinyl effect but often these are disappointing.

The company i linked to also does fitting and is somewhere around the west midlands so not horrendously far if you wanted them to fit it. Not sure on the fitted cost but wouldn't think it would be that much - cheaper than a respray and would also mean if you had the rest of the car repsrayed at some point, the respray would then be cheaper as they wouldn't have to do the roof.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 15:16   #1545
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

You beat me to it, 'L.S.'! Those were my thoughts exactly. I think the R.B. would look very distinguished sporting a black vinyl roof, very 'executive'.

Regards, John.
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:03   #1546
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You forgot Option e Alan!

I kow the 70s were the main haydays of the black vinyl roof but given your car is 1980 it could easily have been carried over and would have been a period accessory and maybe (but not sure on this) a factory option. I know Ford offered the black vinyl roof as an option on most of their cars and some other colours too. The texture makes them look better than black paint, you can buy textured paint that allegedly gives a vinyl effect but often these are disappointing.

The company i linked to also does fitting and is somewhere around the west midlands so not horrendously far if you wanted them to fit it. Not sure on the fitted cost but wouldn't think it would be that much - cheaper than a respray and would also mean if you had the rest of the car repsrayed at some point, the respray would then be cheaper as they wouldn't have to do the roof.
Hi Dave and John,

Well, that is an interesting idea - a 1970s style vinyl roof! The only issue I can think of is the RB's sunroof. I'm guessing that would just be left bare?

I'll do some research chaps - it would look quite cool.

Alan
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:10   #1547
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

If it is a glass roof, Alan, yes. Interestingly, Rolls-Royce fitted them as standard - except that they called their's 'Everflex' - so the RB would be in exalted company! J.
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:51   #1548
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
If it is a glass roof, Alan, yes. Interestingly, Rolls-Royce fitted them as standard - except that they called their's 'Everflex' - so the RB would be in exalted company! J.
It is the Volvo manual steel sunroof John. I'm thinking the vinyl might be a bit too thick for it to wind back if that part were to be covered as well (although it would look even cooler if it could be).

An uncle of mine still has a Rolls that he bought in the 1970s (I'd have been about 11 or 12, Eric doesn't use it much there days, but has owned it for getting on for 50 years)), which has that Everflex roof - it still looks pretty cool today.

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:53   #1549
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Dave and John,

Well, that is an interesting idea - a 1970s style vinyl roof! The only issue I can think of is the RB's sunroof. I'm guessing that would just be left bare?

I'll do some research chaps - it would look quite cool.

Alan
If it's a glass panel sunroof then yes. If it's a steel panel they usually cover that as well - had an SD1 many moons ago with a black vinyl roof, the sliding steel panel was also covered.

Have a chat with Martrim, they're usually pretty helpful.

Old Jul 31st, 2020, 16:59   #1550
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
It is the Volvo manual steel sunroof John. I'm thinking the vinyl might be a bit too thick for it to wind back if that part were to be covered as well (although it would look even cooler if it could be).

Alan
The vinyl is only 1-2mm thick Alan so plenty of room.

I see John beat me to it for most of the glass roof response.