Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non start !

Views : 1532

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2020, 15:43   #1
besidetheseaside

Default Non start !

Hi Guys, I humbly ask for your help once again. Car cut out at lights yesterday and would not restart. Cam belt ok, trying to start up it fires and peters out. After a 3 hour wait for the RAC not to turn up my son towed me home and I am now trying to diagnose. Immediately thought of the fuel pump relay but it looks fine inside and has been replaced by me some time ago. Checked electrics but bit fat spark at plug so it is not that. Bridged the fuel pump relay contacts 30 and 87/2 with the ignition off with a jumper wire but no noise from the pump. Connections are ok on the under car pump so is it safe to point the finger of "you are knackered " at it ???

Last edited by besidetheseaside; Jul 26th, 2020 at 15:59.
besidetheseaside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 17:05   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

What year is your 940?

I think it is 95 onwards they have one in tank pump and before that a lift pump in the tank and a high flow pump under the car by the filter.

If you remove the fuel pump relay and crank it for a few seconds, then refit the relay and just turn the key to ignition on position can you hear the pump prime? If not then that's the main suspect.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 17:14   #3
wrinkles
VOC Member

The same prob as I had with mine a couple of weeks ago change the fuel pump relay or remove its plastic cover and touch up the soldered joints on the printed circuit board and it should do the trick an it cost nothing make this your first thing to try. I fitted a new one and it lasted a week resoldered the joints now ok.

Last edited by wrinkles; Jul 26th, 2020 at 17:22. Reason: to add somthing
wrinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrinkles For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 18:08   #4
besidetheseaside

Car is a 1993. I have took the cover off the fuel pump relay and noted that the first solenoid operates when the ignition is turned on but no fuel pump noise. I then operated the second solenoid manually but again no fuel pump noise. Relay is shiny and looks perfect. bit late now so I am going to check to see if I have power at the pump tomorrow. In the meantime I am going to order a new relay which should be here tuesday.
The Following User Says Thank You to besidetheseaside For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 18:51   #5
volvo always
Premier Member

Manual or Automatic?

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 19:06   #6
besidetheseaside

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
Manual or Automatic?

James.
autotragic.
Old Jul 26th, 2020, 23:19   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by besidetheseaside View Post
Car is a 1993. I have took the cover off the fuel pump relay and noted that the first solenoid operates when the ignition is turned on but no fuel pump noise. I then operated the second solenoid manually but again no fuel pump noise. Relay is shiny and looks perfect. bit late now so I am going to check to see if I have power at the pump tomorrow. In the meantime I am going to order a new relay which should be here tuesday.
Have you tried pushing the fuel pump relay back into the board Don?

Sometimes they work their wy out and cause this problem!

If you pushed the second relay contacts manually and the pump didn't run, chances are this is what has happened!

*** EDIT *** Clicked the wrong bit before adding - check fuses #11 and #13, make sure neither of those are blown, have dirty spades or anything else that would compromise power to the pimps.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 09:41   #8
besidetheseaside

Thanks for replies,
checked fuses 3 and 11 and they look fine. No power at pump with ignition on so that obviously points at the relay being broke. Shame I have no way at the moment at putting power to the pump to see if it runs, looking into that as we speak. Going to resolder the pcb as per wrinkles suggestion next. I did read somewhere that the relay goes bang if the pump fails so it protects the ECU, not sure if this is true though.....
Pouring down with rain so that is not helping.....
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 10:29   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

You still need to work out which pump it is. Normally a bit of a thump/tap can get an intermittent one working temportarily, if its the usual worn communtator.

I think 1993 will be dual pump. External pressure pump beside the fuel filter under the car.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2020, 10:49   #10
besidetheseaside

So resoldered the relay but still no power at the under car pump. Got power to the pump via a battery charger but it would not spin up. So I can only assume I have a faulty relay and a faulty pump.