Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 B230E Cruise Control

Views : 1192

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2020, 22:47   #21
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
Would certainly like to buy the redundant bits from you, whilst not complete it would give me a start.
Will also look on the 240 page Dave suggested and the 760 option for the rest.
Thanks
Andrew
They’re not much use to me as I don’t intend to bother fixing it on mine!

Do you want me to try and strip it out?
The main bits would be the actuator and bracket, and the little cable.

I’ve taken the cowling off from around the steering column today, just to see what’s going on with the switch wires.
There’s a big multiplug which is plugged in, which I’m assuming without looking in the manual, is for the indicators and hazards. There looks to be another smaller bunch of wires that come out of the bottom of the switch too and disappear down behind the dash...
Tugging them, they do seem to be plugged in, but without removing the lower dash I can’t see much.
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
swedish brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 23:06   #22
panda529e699

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish brick View Post
They’re not much use to me as I don’t intend to bother fixing it on mine!

Do you want me to try and strip it out?
The main bits would be the actuator and bracket, and the little cable.

I’ve taken the cowling off from around the steering column today, just to see what’s going on with the switch wires.
There’s a big multiplug which is plugged in, which I’m assuming without looking in the manual, is for the indicators and hazards. There looks to be another smaller bunch of wires that come out of the bottom of the switch too and disappear down behind the dash...
Tugging them, they do seem to be plugged in, but without removing the lower dash I can’t see much.
If you could give it a go at some point please, think they would be useful. Thanks
panda529e699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panda529e699 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 23:20   #23
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda529e699 View Post
If you could give it a go at some point please, think they would be useful. Thanks
I’ll have a go then, over the next few days, see how much I can get off. I’m 99% sure the actuator and bracket won’t be much of a problem. It’s the electrical bits, if any at the switch end. Plus, I’d need to find a replacement indicator switch without the cruise button so I can keep using the car!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedish brick For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 00:05   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedish brick View Post
I’d need to find a replacement indicator switch without the cruise button so I can keep using the car!
Two suggestions - first is if one of you can do without the car for a couple of days, remove and post their indicator switch to the other. The other then swaps the switches over and returns the one removed from their car.

Second is :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...5/174064013650

If one of you buys that and it finds its way down south, is swapped and then the cruise button equipped one then finds its way north and you can sort the finances however you like.

I would offer my old one but it's not got the hazard switch built in, that's separate on mine and also contains the flasher relay, all in one rocker switch on the dashboard!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 09:45   #25
swedish brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Two suggestions - first is if one of you can do without the car for a couple of days, remove and post their indicator switch to the other. The other then swaps the switches over and returns the one removed from their car.

Second is :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-740...5/174064013650

If one of you buys that and it finds its way down south, is swapped and then the cruise button equipped one then finds its way north and you can sort the finances however you like.

I would offer my old one but it's not got the hazard switch built in, that's separate on mine and also contains the flasher relay, all in one rocker switch on the dashboard!
Sweet! Ta for that link, I’ve just ordered one from them so that sorts that out! Once it arrives I’ll swap it over. In the meantime I’ll look at removing the other bits and see where that wire goes behind the dash & see what, if anything, is attached to it. You never know, it might have the loom etc with it too!!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L
Old Aug 6th, 2020, 15:20   #26
swedish brick

Right then...

I’ve had another proper look at my car.
What I had expected was to find the switch with no cruise wiring connected to it, and of course the vacuum actuator and it’s control cable attached to the throttle.

Now, today what I’ve actually found is that the switch is in fact connected to a second wiring harness! One spur seems to go up to the dash binnacle, another bigger bunch of wires go to a control unit (I haven’t actually seen this, but the manual says that’s what it goes into), there’s also a sensor attached to the back of the brake pedal with wires into it and a vacuum hose. Then more wires disappear through the bulkhead with the vacuum hose.
On the engine bay side, you can then trace the wiring and vacuum hose along the top of the bulkhead, where the vacuum hose goes into a T connector, one piece goes from that into the back of the vacuum actuator, the other carry’s on with the wiring along the bulkhead to the passenger side inner wing, then dips down and runs along the chassis leg and then into a black control unit.
Looking in the manual says this is the vacuum pump.

It would appear then that my car has actually got a complete or very nearly complete cruise control system in it! The only thing I’ve not actually seen is the control unit inside the cabin. The wires are all there and feel tight when tugged, so I think they are plugged into something.
Weird thing is, given the amateurish way some of the other things on this car were done when I got it (that I’ve had to go around fixing!) this isn’t like that. It looks like all the proper parts and it’s completely clipped into the cars loom and done very neatly. Which will make it a pig to get out again.
It’s either been fitted at the factory/dealer or done by someone who knew what they were doing.

I’ve run out of time for now, but I’ll have another look for the control unit in the cabin. And I might get the car out and actually try using the cruise and see what, if anything happens. There should be a power supply from the switch as that is working, so at the very least something might start making noises, catching fire etc etc...

Bear with me on this!
1974 Ford Capri 1.6L