Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Estate ride comfort differences

Views : 768

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2020, 07:46   #1
omc 47
VOC Member

Default 940 Estate ride comfort differences

Hi all,
l thought l'd start the new month with a question on ride comfort and your experiences.
I am fortunate in owning a 94 2.0 ltre Wentworth & a 95 2.3...... both estates, yesterday just to prove my curiosity l drove them both in turn and the 95 2.3 is a harder ride.
In the past l've owned 2 other Wentworths and they all felt softer and less rigid on rough roads but this 2.3 is definately a harder ride.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the differences........
l do have in my "spares box" a pair of Wentworth front struts and wonder if an experiment is due.

Many thanks and best wishes in these trying times.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 08:25   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Is there much difference in the mileage?
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 08:42   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

From late 1994 Volvo made some changes to the 940 to “improve” handling. Presumably this involved changes to the suspension. I don’t know what exactly. All I know is that one of the contemporary reviews I read when I bought my first 940 in the late 1990s reckoned handling was “stodgy” prior to this.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 09:56   #4
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Is there much difference in the mileage?
Luke,
Wentworth 204,000...............2.3 164,000 but before we get the idea that mileage is the issue the other Wentworths were 180,000 and the ride was softer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 10:00   #5
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
From late 1994 Volvo made some changes to the 940 to “improve” handling. Presumably this involved changes to the suspension. I don’t know what exactly. All I know is that one of the contemporary reviews I read when I bought my first 940 in the late 1990s reckoned handling was “stodgy” prior to this.
Yes mmnnn thanks for that Forrest,l must admit l've tried to find production changes to no avail but in that case as l don't tend to throw the old girls around that much l prefer the stodgy !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 13:33   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
Luke,
Wentworth 204,000...............2.3 164,000 but before we get the idea that mileage is the issue the other Wentworths were 180,000 and the ride was softer.
After that sort of milage the shocks should have been changed at least once. It may depend on what the replacement was. Usually Nivomats are changed for non-weight compensating shocks.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 13:46   #7
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
After that sort of milage the shocks should have been changed at least once. It may depend on what the replacement was. Usually Nivomats are changed for non-weight compensating shocks.
The rear shocks and springs on the 2.3 were changed last year,my issue is with the front's as when you hit a good old british pot hole all the Wentworth l've had deal with it much better.
My experience with Volvo's goes back to the late 70's from Amazons through to the 940 series so l'm aware of certain charactaristics.......but not all.
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 00:45   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc 47 View Post
The rear shocks and springs on the 2.3 were changed last year,my issue is with the front's as when you hit a good old british pot hole all the Wentworth l've had deal with it much better.
My experience with Volvo's goes back to the late 70's from Amazons through to the 940 series so l'm aware of certain charactaristics.......but not all.
Are you saying the front end is the problem on the one with the harsher ride Andy? If so i would the following in this order :

1. Ball joints.

2. Drop link bushes

3. Space-ship bushes

4. Dampers

5. Drivers seat cushions

I had trouble with my old ball joints, the wear on them was barely perceptible but it was enough that if i hit a bump/pothole, it would cause a hell of a crash on the front end.

Likewise with worn drop link bushes - they become very noisy and can, under the right circumstances (like catching a pot hole with one wheel) cause a harsh engagement of the Anti Roll Bars action - again this transmits as a hefty thud.

3. Similar story with the space-ship bushes to the above really, not to mention throwing your wheel alignment out!

4. Dampers - a pair of weak dampers (or even just one but should be renewd in pairs) can cause crashy operation of the front suspension.

5. Bet you didn't see that one coming! Seat cushions, if the one with the poor ride has harder suspension but the cushions on the drivers seat are soft and/or saggy with age, this will leave your backside with less support so you'll feel the lumps and bumps more.
This would also tally with my experience of 1995 on not being such good quality materials to start with. Also you don't know if a previous owner was Giant Haystacks and punished the seat mercilessly in 30k miles from new and then sold the car on, perhaps to Shirley Crabtree who would have punished the seat more.

Instead of swapping front strut inserts and/or legs, might be easier to swap the front seats as a test.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 08:59   #9
omc 47
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Are you saying the front end is the problem on the one with the harsher ride Andy? If so i would the following in this order :

1. Ball joints.

2. Drop link bushes

3. Space-ship bushes

4. Dampers

5. Drivers seat cushions

I had trouble with my old ball joints, the wear on them was barely perceptible but it was enough that if i hit a bump/pothole, it would cause a hell of a crash on the front end.

Likewise with worn drop link bushes - they become very noisy and can, under the right circumstances (like catching a pot hole with one wheel) cause a harsh engagement of the Anti Roll Bars action - again this transmits as a hefty thud.

3. Similar story with the space-ship bushes to the above really, not to mention throwing your wheel alignment out!

4. Dampers - a pair of weak dampers (or even just one but should be renewd in pairs) can cause crashy operation of the front suspension.

5. Bet you didn't see that one coming! Seat cushions, if the one with the poor ride has harder suspension but the cushions on the drivers seat are soft and/or saggy with age, this will leave your backside with less support so you'll feel the lumps and bumps more.
This would also tally with my experience of 1995 on not being such good quality materials to start with. Also you don't know if a previous owner was Giant Haystacks and punished the seat mercilessly in 30k miles from new and then sold the car on, perhaps to Shirley Crabtree who would have punished the seat more.

Instead of swapping front strut inserts and/or legs, might be easier to swap the front seats as a test.
Dave thankyou,

l knew you would'nt be far away!.....so the seats, well l've changed em' all from cloth to leather, had them "in stock" from a previous Wentworth and Dave good call on the Giant Haystacks theory as the seat lumber support was broken plus the car had spent quite some months touring Europe also the passenger front was tired too.
Spaceship bushes, l have a spare set and drop links indeed they too have crossed my mind but Antiroll Bar didn't so thanks for that.
Best l get the old Brabury jack out and do some serious grime work, l'll leave the struts till last but will crow bar the bottom ball joints just for good measure.
Good to hear from you, keep up the detective work for the Volvo community and steer well clear of the idiots out there convinced that lockdown is a fantasy!!
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 10:35   #10
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

A few months before I bought my 940 I drove a really nice late 740 and I distinctly remember how wallowly the 740 was, it really did feel very old fashioned and not in a good way. I didn’t think the 940 was as bad although not to modern standards and it turned out the 940 shocks were shot anyway.
I have 40mm springs and B4 dampers and it feels comfy and plush especially on the motorways but the turn in and generally body handling is miles better.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post: