Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine cleaning

Views : 712

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2011, 01:29   #1
LoganGSD

Default Engine cleaning

The engine in my 740 looks generally filthy, its not baked in oil its just 22 years worth road dirt. I was wondering if there was an easy and inexpensive way of cleaning the engine and engine bay up without casuing more harm tban good. I ask because a garage jet washed the engine in my old skoda felicia estate and trashed it. Ever since I've been apprehensive about cleaning engine bays. It's a 2.0i.
Thanks.

Last edited by LoganGSD; Mar 15th, 2011 at 01:30. Reason: typo, typed it all on a mobile phone...
LoganGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 06:23   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

I've always believed that old cars - ie with no computers and gizmos - can be cleaned with a liberal application of Gunk, some elbow grease and a hose, provided that all electrics and any possible points of water ingress into the engine were covered up.

Newer engines can be treated the same but with a lot less water sloshed around.

It'd be messy, fiddly and you'll go through a ton of old rags though!

I think the pro valeting companies tend to use steam cleaners? Might be worth at least getting a price from some one who does it with this type of kit.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:37   #3
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Cleaning.

My advice and what I do is to use a mix of oil and petrol (60% petrol), put it on with a brush and wipe off (obviously agitating the brush where muck build up is heavy); this way you can direct the cleaning away from any electrical components.

The dirt you might be referring to is the build up around the engine bay bodywork rather than the engine itself, i.e accumulations of dirt on the bulkhead and inner wings and the"chassis"rails etc - the petrol/oil mix is ideal for this.

It is also good for cleaning cast metal parts also.

Hope this helps.

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:39   #4
LoganGSD

I think your right Jack, its best i let a pro company break it. It's going in to the garage to have a new steering rack so ill ask it they can do if.
Cheers
Michael.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 16:21   #5
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
I've always believed that old cars - ie with no computers and gizmos - can be cleaned with a liberal application of Gunk, some elbow grease and a hose, provided that all electrics and any possible points of water ingress into the engine were covered up.
Agreed. That's the only way to do it properly.

Lots of TLC, elbowgrease and and also a good opportunity to find small faults before they become bigger ones too. Split hoses, frayed and damaged wiring etc.

Steam Cleaning or Jet wash, pressure jet washing is a no no for me. Water everywhere especially where you don't want it. Misfires and electrical issues for weeks afterwards. No thanks!

And maybe I'm over suspicious, but whenever I go to look at a car to buy, a newly steamed or jetwashed engine always says to me, if the engine is in good shape, without oil leaks, and well looked after....Why did they need to wash it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 20:05   #6
terrywilde07

I used engine de-greaser, sprayed it all over the engine bay, I got through about 4 litres, let it soak in for a good 15 mins.. engine cold of course.. then used a cold water pressure washer to give it a good rinse.. blew off the water with an air line (advantage of working at my dads MOT/Service Garage).. it looked loads better at that point...

I then got a can of aerosol Tyre Shine and foamed up the entire engine bay... let it settle for 10 minutes and with a couple of clean rags, spent 10 minutes giving it a wipe over... it was as shiny as any show car I'd seen... I've got a couple of customers who took a look at it who show their custom motors and they were well impressed... all the hoses and plastics looked brand new... the whole engine bay stayed like that for a couple of weeks and it only takes 5 minutes to give it a wipe over to keep it that way...

I just avoided the Alternator by wrapping it in cling film.. never had any problems doing that way in 3 years & I do it twice a year..

Current: 05 Mercedes C55 AMG, 97(R) V40 1.9 TD, 02(51) S40 S
Past: 86(C) 360 GLT, 93(K) 940 Wentworth, 95(M) 440 Si, 94(L) 940 Wentworth, 91(J) 460 GLEi Auto, 98(R) S90 Executive II
terrywilde07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terrywilde07 For This Useful Post: