Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 326791

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2017, 22:52   #861
colind9

New Jersey?

Although I may be wrong!

Last edited by colind9; May 7th, 2017 at 22:54. Reason: additional info
colind9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 00:04   #862
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

New Jersey indeed but very close to NYC. If you look at a map of Manhattan you will see Hackensack 6 miles due west of the island's northern tip.

THE attribute of LubeGard (red) which attracted me was the superior wax-like lubricant the makers say it contains. I associated the improvement I felt with smoother operation.

If a sticking valve or solenoid was slow to actuate something (a stack of clutch plates, for example) and was causing a chatter AND the addition of this stuff smoothed it out I'd conclude the valve or solenoid had been lubed.

If a unit seemed to "go out of 2nd" and "lag going into 3rd" (causing a 2-3 flare) and happy results were seen after addition of this potion, I'd conclude the 3rd gear actuation hardware had been freed up or lubed.

Your description of your '96 855 "wanting to go into 3rd--- when pulling away" isn't the most complete I've ever read. I do not know what the product would do for your transmission but for the cost and effort I wouldn't think it could hurt.
Some longevity data on a car's transmission is always helpful. If your unit is Asin or GM derived there's a high likelihood of it having started its life with quality (I've been told). Of course you can destroy anything.
How old in miles is your transmission? Is the filter inaccessible? I assume it is.
Was the fluid ever neglected? Is the fluid clean now? I'd only add the stuff to a clean system so it had the best chance of working.

Please remember:
1) I don't believe in mechanics-in-a-can but this one came recommended by helpful people on the oil board i read.
2) I don't work for the company.
3) While dear, an older unit like yours can be rebuilt for way less money than the AW55-50 units in the 00-07's. It can be worth it when the cost of replacing your car (not merely its worth) is factored in.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2017, 20:03   #863
Richardkimber

Default V70 offside track rod end ball joint.

When I recently renewed the front discs I noticed small play in the track rod end joint. Fitted the new OEM FRF Volvo Swansea track rod end today.
The old rubber boot was intact, no splits and both ends seals were tight. So I took it apart. Water had somehow got in and rusted the ball surface. !
Even though I counted 23.5 turns off and on, test run showed the steering wheel slightly off center when driving straight. Confirmed by the local garage who adjusted the tracking.
Past 95: 940 2.3 LPT Manual Estate 178k mls:
Past 96: 850 AWD, 86: 340 (my 1st Volvo)
Richardkimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 20:26   #864
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Default Inserting pictures

After many years of membership of various car forums - Rover 75, Saab, Mercedes Benz, Lexus etc, most of which have the same format as here - and fighting a losing battle with Photobucket, I've today, thanks to a thread on here about adding photos, successfully added pictures to my posts!!

I've been trying to use the 'insert image' icon rather than the paper clip one, but it's so easy, and IMHO, well worth a post on the 'what I did today' thread.

So here's a gratuitous photo from the Rockingham day a couple of weeks ago, sorry about the finger......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2064.jpg (146.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Baxlin; May 8th, 2017 at 20:28.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 16:51   #865
cheshired5
Premier Member

Washed the car and fitted my new (to me) Orpheus wheels wearing almost new Michelin Cross Climates, bought from fellow member David (dacvolvo) to whom I owe huge thanks.

My 15 year old S60 is now in danger of looking good!

A couple of before and afters showing the filthy old Tethys and the shiny new Orpheus which also allow a better glimpse at the police brake upgrade.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2017, 18:54   #866
dacvolvo
eVolvolution

Stunningly good looking beast!
dacvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dacvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2017, 19:30   #867
ksmi
Master Member

Smile Auto boxes.

Hi Georgeandkiera, sorry for lack of info,my 855 is on 112k miles and is coming up with P0750. it feels as if 1st. & 2nd are missing, i believe the code refers to "A" shift solenoid. (have pm'd you)
keith.
Old May 9th, 2017, 19:49   #868
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Got it!

All I can tell you is to get it clean. If it was my car I'd try the only stuff I know -the LubeGard- and I wouldn't hold out much hope.

I'd bet there's a better diagnosis to be had than a generic code reader's P0750.

Could be that solenoid is fritzed. I don't know if it's electrically or hydraulically controlled. Its seal could be damaged and "leaking past" so much it has become ineffective.

If I knew, I'd tell you. Good luck G&K
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2017, 20:00   #869
ksmi
Master Member

Smile hidden treasure

i cannot tell a lie,it wasn't to-day,a couple of days ago, i decided to sort out my tool box,not before time i hear you say!! got a bit carried away,dragged out an old bent battered and rusty socket box from way back, (60s) "whats that then?" oh some old sockets,cant be bothered to clean them, covered in s**t. "how much then? gis a couple o quid-"right" says I, found a 1/2" drive King Dick stud extractor and forgot about the rest,just moved them around when tidying up. So- tipped them in an old washing up bowl with some jizer and the set about the with a scouring pad thingy, and eureka! lots of USA sockets some makes i haven' t heard of but wright,snap on,plomb. a nice 12" 3/8" Plomb extension bar amongst them Quite made my day!!! Anybody know about PLOMB? The O is shaped like a heart.
keith
Old May 10th, 2017, 09:30   #870
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmi View Post
:Plomb extension bar amongst them Quite made my day!!! Anybody know about PLOMB? The O is shaped like a heart.
keith
My grandfather had some Whitworth spanners that had the Plomb name/logo on them; he gave them to a bloke renovating a 30's MG M type in the sixties.

You might find this link interesting

http://alloy-artifacts.org/plomb-gallery.html

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; May 10th, 2017 at 09:32.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post: