Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Amazon Estate Rescue Mission

Views : 33374

Replies : 193

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 01:19   #161
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Beats driving it over...
Old Aug 14th, 2014, 13:57   #162
davermoore

hi andy, i stumbled upon your amazon resto post and just been through the lot! just thought i would say hello as i too have a amazon wagon i am currently restoring and i am also in perth! have you met wayne yet? he is a local chap who can supply parts if you still need any. anyway i am getting mine ready to paint the engine bay (body colour change to come later!) and guess what, i was going to go pearl white with a red interior!!! now i don't know if i should as that will make at least three pearl white wagons in perth, but they just look so good in that colour!! i will pause paint selection and have a think mine is a bit of a slow resto anyway. i think i read you were into splittys too? me too, hence the volvo going is a bit slow as i spend a fair bit of time welding them up for friends. anyway, probably catch up with you at some point. cheers, dave.
davermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davermoore For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 13:09   #163
Andy the Aussie

hey dave

awesome

I will send you a pm with my number.... sounds like we need a chat

updates on this thread soon to come, I've just got home after being away and now have some time to get stuck into the volvo

andy
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 17:10   #164
Andy the Aussie

so, finally got to throw some time at the volvo,

In an attempt to try and keep it quiet and cool inside the car I've run a bit of extra insulation under the new carpets.

Got lots of little fiddly bits out the way - mainly door internals with new channel and rubbers, very time consuming stuff, got the tail lamps all sorted with new rubbers and stainless screws too

and got stuck into the front brake callipers...

and fitted with new pad retaining pin kit

new bleed nipples will get fitted when its time to get some fluid in... master cyl rebuild to tackle before that...

Last edited by Andy the Aussie; Aug 21st, 2014 at 17:15.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy the Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2014, 16:17   #165
Andy the Aussie

I found a major and hopefully final piece of my jigsaw puzzle today

My upper tailgate saga is solved - as long as the courier gets it here safely !

so happy to have this on its way - the one I have for the car is in such a bad way that I've been hanging on to the chance of finding a good one before the car was ready to roll and it looks like one has appeared just in time...

Old Sep 7th, 2014, 07:35   #166
Andy the Aussie

regarding the new upper tailgate and wanting it to last many years into the future.....

Would I be right in thinking these tailgates seem to have a tendency to rust from the inside out ??

any tips on how to treat the inside of it before I prep and paint it or is it better done afterwards with something ?

thanks

andy
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 08:03   #167
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
regarding the new upper tailgate and wanting it to last many years into the future.....

Would I be right in thinking these tailgates seem to have a tendency to rust from the inside out ??

any tips on how to treat the inside of it before I prep and paint it or is it better done afterwards with something ?

thanks

andy
Hi Ya Andy

yes m8 these are one of the areas you need to protect as best you can the good news is your now in a dry country with very little moisture in the air also no salt on the roads .

ok a few tips are clean and prep the top tailgate and paint as required once done and very well cured !!
pump lots of waxoil into the toptailgate upside down and when your happy with the amount in there reaching all the nook and crannies clean it up and fit the tailgate to the car but another tip is leave the drain holes clear at each bottom left & right corner .

i would keep a very close eye on the top and bottom tailgates any sign of issues through the years in future address them quickly but in your case im sure you should have no worries but its a hard area to replace them as you know so treat them with kid gloves .

also seal the rear screen glass in well

hope you get done all ok with your project keep us posted m8

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2014, 10:04   #168
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I like the Dinitrol products for rustproofing. Sealing the fixture holes I reckon is very important in stopping the tailgate getting water in.

Last edited by Burdekin; Sep 7th, 2014 at 10:32.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2014, 12:42   #169
Andy the Aussie

thanks guys.....

next fitment was the Carbon Fibre Felt Sheet insulation on the Bulkhead and the tunnel...

should keep those hot temps out - its good stuff

all stuck into place on the firewall , sorry the pic is a bit crap but it fits up nicely in place with a bit of contact adhesive - easy to do before heater, harness etc etc goes in

Last edited by Andy the Aussie; Sep 9th, 2014 at 14:27.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 14:43   #170
davermoore

coming along nicely. will give you a buzz soon, would luv to pop round and check it out.
davermoore is offline   Reply With Quote