Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

all spin and no engage on driveshaft

Views : 2638

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 08:58   #11
nokinnikon
To Roll (Latin for Volvo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I think the only way to find out what the problem is: is to remove the driveshaft and inspect all the components. The problem is clearly located at the point where the components stop turning. It does seem very strange and in theory impossible to happen, but it has, so needs dismantling to find the cause.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
Thank you and be rest assured ill keep you all posted.

Jason
nokinnikon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nokinnikon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 09:44   #12
dingov70
Master Member

Morning , your problem is that the inner joint has become separated when the shaft was extracted . IF you pull back the rubber gaiter , you will most likely find the splined shaft has pulled out of the inner CV cage .

If the inner joint turns & the shaft does not turn , you have a limited number of reasons ( one ! ) and that is explained above . I have even after way too many years in the trade fallen foul of this malady . Everything builds up , nothing left over & everything fits together no issues .... UNTIL you try to drive the damn thing

Good luck
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 11:05   #13
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

It's that bit where Mr Haynes says 'Reassembly is the reversal of removal'. Who's he trying to fool?!?!

From my reading of the thread it does look like the problem is the CV joint and if you follow Dingov70's advice you'll find what's going on.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 11:14   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
It's that bit where Mr Haynes says 'Reassembly is the reversal of removal'. Who's he trying to fool?!?!

From my reading of the thread it does look like the problem is the CV joint and if you follow Dingov70's advice you'll find what's going on.

I also love the term " Simply" .Simply remove...……...

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:14   #15
nokinnikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Morning , your problem is that the inner joint has become separated when the shaft was extracted . IF you pull back the rubber gaiter , you will most likely find the splined shaft has pulled out of the inner CV cage .

If the inner joint turns & the shaft does not turn , you have a limited number of reasons ( one ! ) and that is explained above . I have even after way too many years in the trade fallen foul of this malady . Everything builds up , nothing left over & everything fits together no issues .... UNTIL you try to drive the damn thing

Good luck
HA HA glad im not alone, thank you for that!!! i will however keep all posted on the progress next couple of days when i can get to it.

Jason
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:15   #16
nokinnikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post

Thank you for that i will give it a go in the next couple of days!

Honestly the manuals are very simplistic, confusing, contradictory at best, cant beat good old experience!

Jason
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:19   #17
nokinnikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I also love the term " Simply" .Simply remove...……...
Simple to remove, yes if you have all the correct tools IE a nice 4 poster lift, yeah that'd be nice oh MR Haynes you idealist!

Jason
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 20:45   #18
nokinnikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I think the only way to find out what the problem is: is to remove the driveshaft and inspect all the components. The problem is clearly located at the point where the components stop turning. It does seem very strange and in theory impossible to happen, but it has, so needs dismantling to find the cause.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
Okay here's the update as promised,
the replacement driveshaft (from volvo scrap dealer) arrived today within an hour and a half it was fitted-so far so good- wheel on tried to put it in gear without use of clutch whilst engine idling didn't even want to go in gear, so far so good- drove the car for ten miles varying speeds 30-40-50-60 underload no problem no slipping of clutch or anything went through the gears all the gears -so far so good- then i came to a stop to let traffic past and went to pull away and guess what? no gears, no drive, could put the car in gear without use of clutch and engine idling- could hear the drive shaft turning and car not moving- so back to square one.
Any ideas would be appreciated, the clutch pedal action has not changed. it doesn't sit to the floor or sloppy its as it should be. if this helps...

Jason
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 21:29   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokinnikon View Post
Okay here's the update as promised,
the replacement driveshaft (from volvo scrap dealer) arrived today within an hour and a half it was fitted-so far so good- wheel on tried to put it in gear without use of clutch whilst engine idling didn't even want to go in gear, so far so good- drove the car for ten miles varying speeds 30-40-50-60 underload no problem no slipping of clutch or anything went through the gears all the gears -so far so good- then i came to a stop to let traffic past and went to pull away and guess what? no gears, no drive, could put the car in gear without use of clutch and engine idling- could hear the drive shaft turning and car not moving- so back to square one.
Any ideas would be appreciated, the clutch pedal action has not changed. it doesn't sit to the floor or sloppy its as it should be. if this helps...

Jason
Maybe the inner end was not clipped into the gearbox properly it should be solid in there when it clicks in and the spring clip expands . that's the most likely thing .
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 22:24   #20
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Maybe the inner end was not clipped into the gearbox properly it should be solid in there when it clicks in and the spring clip expands . that's the most likely thing .
As Clan says.

It should be possible to rotate the driveshaft and push back into the differential without dismantling. If it has popped out you will be able to push and pull the shaft in and out of the housing.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch, dmf, driveshaft, spinning