Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dipped beam hopeless on 2011 C30 D3

Views : 612

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 18:51   #1
JohnnyHowlett

Default Dipped beam hopeless on 2011 C30 D3

I am struggling with a headlight issue on my Volvo C30 D3 2011. The projector headlights on dipped beam are dangerously dim. I have gone from standard 55w H7's to Osram Nightbreakers and have now tried 55w HID's which are all dangerously inadequate and fail to throw very much light onto the road in front. On mainbeam, all is fine, but on dipped beam with cars coming towards you it is very scary, as I cannot see and am just driving into a black hole.
Can anyone please give advise on what to try next? is there an after market internal projector that will improve the light emitted or should I buy some after market headlights?

Presently, the car can only be driven safely in the daylight, which is absurd

Many Thanks

Johnny
JohnnyHowlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 19:12   #2
Peter86
Pete

Have you had the headlamp beam alignment checked? My V70 was slightly low but the adjustment made a big difference.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:52   #3
PRainbow

My 2010 c30 seems fine, have you tried cleaning the lights inside? They get foggy and that cuts the light emissions down substantially. Worth a look.
PRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:01   #4
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I had an S40 that was as appalling and tried a range of different bulbs with no success. I was very happy to hand it back, it was dangerous. Sorry I can not help, hopefully the other suggestions can, but you are not alone in having duff lights in an older Volvo.

It must be housing related in some ways as the upgraded bulbs help in other cars.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 11:11   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHowlett View Post
I am struggling with a headlight issue on my Volvo C30 D3 2011. The projector headlights on dipped beam are dangerously dim. I have gone from standard 55w H7's to Osram Nightbreakers and have now tried 55w HID's which are all dangerously inadequate and fail to throw very much light onto the road in front. On mainbeam, all is fine, but on dipped beam with cars coming towards you it is very scary, as I cannot see and am just driving into a black hole.
Can anyone please give advise on what to try next? is there an after market internal projector that will improve the light emitted or should I buy some after market headlights?

Presently, the car can only be driven safely in the daylight, which is absurd

Many Thanks

Johnny
It is possible the top silvering has gone dull on the reflector inside the headlamp , dip uses the top part of the reflector .. also as said above alignment , i have found many of these lights set far too low , get them aligned as high as the MOT regulations allow .
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 08:02   #6
monkeh
Pain in the backside

As Mr. Clan says, projectors are stuffed. Have a go at retrofitting new projectors in. Headlight out job. Have a look at retrofitlab.com They sell not too expensive projectors, some are direct replacement, some may need some loving to get to fit.

https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/volvo...eadlights.html

Aharon are top brand. I have them retrofitted in my 300c. I had your similar issue. Burned out projector lenses. Now, I have retina burning light at night. Perfect for the foglight toting eejits.

Last edited by monkeh; Dec 10th, 2019 at 08:07.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 09:57   #7
domhart10
Volvo S40

Just how these cars are, terrible dipped beams. Even after cleaning headlights with original bulbs they wernt great.

I replaced my OEM dipped bulbs with a HID conversion kit with a 4300k bulb, so close enough to the original color and that sorted my dipped lights out fine.

If you post in the relevant section of the forum for the model of your car, you will get more people that can help you.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 13:37   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

A number of us here have fitted the RetroFitLabs.com E46 H7 projectors, which are a plug and play swap. Just 3 torx screws to fit them+ a bit of adjustment.

Approx £130, but hugely worth it.

Pros:
- 100% plug and play, easy to install.
- Excellent distance visibility with halogen bulbs.
- Razor sharp horizontal cut-off beam pattern (if you like that sort of thing)
- Maximum brightness is focused right at the very edge of the cutoff... like a spotlight.
- They include a solenioid activated shutter that opens when main beam is activated, so that the halogens can assist the main meam. (OEM dipped doesnt have this feature)
- No need to use HID kit with these projectors, a good quality set of Halogen Bulbs are easily bright enough.

Cons:
- The beam is narrower than OEM
- Beam height adjustment needed, but the crappy adjusters on the Volvo headlamp always snap off. This is Volvo's fault.

These units have been designed to take as much light as possible from the light source and throw it as far down the road (directly infront of you) as possible, so for seeing straight ahead they are excellent.

Last edited by T5R92011; Dec 10th, 2019 at 14:22.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote