Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New vs Old

Views : 2445

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 19:04   #21
Motas88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Teslas can also be summoned from their parking spot by using your mobile phone.Most pointless electrical gizmo? On the Tesla 3[could also be available on other models]there is an "emissions control" where you can programme any of the seats to make a sound like a whoopee cushion when sat on!! Who thought that was a much needed accessory?
Tesla!, not a real car anyway! iPhone on wheels.
Motas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 19:44   #22
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
... The example he points to of cameras replacing mirrors is pertinent. Not only are they less efficient in David's view, but I would imagine that a camera and screen will be more expensive to provision than a mirror - who will pay for that?

Regards, John.
Yes, one point in our discussion at work was the potential for damage and the cost and also ease of repair (or lack of it), driving a truck it's not uncommon to be on a country road with proportionally less space and end up whacking the mirror arm on a branch that has stuck out after a storm, whilst the mirror arm normally takes the brunt of it and folds in it's not unknown to crack a mirror glass, but a cracked mirror still achieves 50% of it's function and the other (wide angle) mirror still works, smack the camera arm and it's probably not going to work at all. Repairing a broken glass is relatively simple, I've done a few myself over the years, and relatively cheap say £50 for a heated glass, the cameras are alleged to cost thousands so no dealer is going to keep them waiting in stock and then the fitter is going to have to do a rewire and reprogramme job, I can't see that happening at the side of the road so that's a full recovery for a broken 'mirror'.
One of my colleagues was lucky enough to be sent on the Mercedes course for these camera-mirrors (and yes it needs a course, and how many of us will even get given that information let alone a course?), amusingly he told us when he got back that one of the other candidates jumped in the truck and because the camera angle wasn't right he instinctively grabbed the viewing screen on the pillar and tried to twist it into position, the vehicle was thus put off of the road because the screen broke off the mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Regarding screens replacing mirrors someone has forgotten all about the major advantage of a mirror in that of focus and perspective .. You have to refocus your eyes to read a screen whilst with a mirror your eyes are already set for far distance focus ..and also you cannot move your head to get a bigger field of view ..
Regarding the focus element another factor is wearing glasses, I spent over £300 recently with the opticians to get a pair of glasses specially configured for driving, they are varifocals with a section at the bottom optimised for reading the dashboard, a bit further away than your average reading spec, and a special grind of the lens that overcomes the distortion found at the sides of some varifocals, all that is great with normal mirrors but with these camera screens I'd need a section on the offside edge of my glasses to focus on the door pillar which is closer than the average reading spec, either that or I've got to change my glasses three times if I want to pull out to overtake or reverse. The head duck to change angle of view also came up with the specific instance that when driving at night on an unlit road the camera angle doesn't allow a sight of the side markers on the trailer, with a normal mirror a quick duck of the head allows one to confirm it's still there and the lights still work.

When I got in to work last night I was offered a new camera vehicle (what happened to the training?) it probably won't surprise you dear reader if I say that I turned it down and waited for a conventional one.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 19:50   #23
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
... On the Tesla 3[could also be available on other models]there is an "emissions control" where you can programme any of the seats to make a sound like a whoopee cushion when sat on!! Who thought that was a much needed accessory?
If only I could have specced that on the wife's new KIA, once I'd programmed it it would take her ages to read the manual and turn it off

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 06:31   #24
green van man
Premier Member

Van, having a solid bulkhead has a reversing camera that can also be permanently on to act as a rear view mirror.
While it is useful when reversing I find it distracting when driving especially at night and it is normally turned off.
Mirrors are passive, camera screens are back lit and while it dims at night it is still a distracting illumination in peripheral vision. It is fixed in the rear view mirror position.

New van also has proximity sensors on the back, yesterday, reversing down a narrow lane with 2 inches clearance either side they went into overdrive. With them and the reversing beeper concentration on reversing around the bends was very difficult. Do nowt that hinder rather than help but a suit thought was a good idea. If they took the tat out of vehicles and spent the money on driver training the tat would not be needed and everyone would be safer.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 07:16   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Speaking as a (now retired) 'suit' Paul, I can only agree.

A serious point made succinctly, graphically and with humour. Thank you for making me smile this morning.

Regards. John.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 07:53   #26
Dippydog
Premier Member

I agree Motas that the Tesla is an I-phone on wheels,but that is the way that all vehicles are going now.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 12:08   #27
biggbn
I've Been Banned

You guys continue scraping a half inch of ice off your cars every morning, putting all your shopping on a dirty car parks ground, changing your gears with an ancient stick, using loads of your cash just keeping your car idling or allowing it to heat up. As soon as I can afford I will have wafted past you all in a preheated, de iced machine that awaited me, boot open, drivers seat in right position, already playing what I want on the radio or stereo. My car will then navigate a way out of car park and through busy city in sepulchral silence and will require minimal maintenance over my ownership. My car is my tool. And yes, whilst I understand we still need old fashioned hammers and saws, we use them more for recreation. Which is where my hobby car will come in. Anyone who uses tools and doesn't use the best, most efficient, least stressful they can is doing their trade no favours.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 12:24   #28
The Thong
VOC Member

Modern..... Choke, rust, smelly exhaust systems etc etc. I used to love a weekend of fixing, upgrading, servicing my cars. Since I’ve moved to more modern motors I just jump in and drive. I’ve got heated screen, seats, cracking infotainment system, limiter, cruise control etc etc. It’s nice and if it breaks I send it to the dealer. Living in the terraced hell it limits my car messing activities so this is the logical way to go.
All said and done though, there is a certain satisfaction in fixing your own motor which I admit to missing just a little bit

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 19:00   #29
concrete

I drive a 2004 XC 70 and 1997 Ford Transit and I’m dreading the time either one needs replacing. Technology for technology’s sake in my opinion and it’s there to keep you more tied to the dealerships in my opinion.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 21:39   #30
PRainbow

I bet a 1950’s forum would be all about how you don’t need synchromesh gearboxes, radios, that there is nothing wrong with points and manual chokes.and as for that rubbish electronic fuel injection - well it’s just extra technology for the sake of it. My Triumph 2.5 PI broke down all the time! Give me a good old Webber down-drought...etc.
PRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote