Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reading lights

Views : 6870

Replies : 122

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2013, 20:16   #111
Hadrian

I haven't suffered it but I always tend to buy/use CANbus compliant leds as the inbuilt resistors etc prevent the afore mentioned problems.
Hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 21:20   #112
simon21
Simon21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
I haven't suffered it but I always tend to buy/use CANbus compliant leds as the inbuilt resistors etc prevent the afore mentioned problems.
Hi Hadrian,
Can you let me know what you fitted, I spoke to someone about the Canbus ones today and he mentioned about the heat from the resistor. I've just ordered these will they do?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
simon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 21:41   #113
Custard Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg1980 View Post
It sounds weird but a good tip is to try and do the work with the unit upside down (someone else will have to hold it for you) as small white plastic burrs fall off onto the glass...
I cant remember if I mentioned it earlier but also double check the silver of the reflector as this can burn and reduce the amount of light reflected forwards, making your dipped beam less effective. I've started turning the lights to side lights during the day to try and preserve my reflectors as they are just starting to show signs of degrading.
I had both the front clusters out today whilst drying the drivers footwell (Flipping sunroof!) primarily to replace the sidemarker - i noticed the obscured torx screw on the nearside unit [you would have thought they would be a mirror image] so took apart the drivers side and cleaned it... However there is clear signs of the tarnishing so i think that a new projector unit would be required - I have been switching to the sidelights for daytime driving for a few years to save the bulbs; but early morning and late night commuting has stopped that.
Custard Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 21:46   #114
Hadrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon21 View Post
Hi Hadrian,
Can you let me know what you fitted, I spoke to someone about the Canbus ones today and he mentioned about the heat from the resistor. I've just ordered these will they do?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have used the ones similar to the linked ones above, and they worked fine.
Off the top of my head I can't find a link to the ones I have in atm. But they look like these, except they were CANbus comp. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-T10-8-...item43b8b5c219
Hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 18:58   #115
x DTR x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon21 View Post
Has it ever caused any problems with the battery? What's the longest you have left the car without it been started? Seems to be a constant issue when changing to led's that they stay very faint
No, i noticed they were still faintly dim when i parked and locked up the car which worried me a bit, i went out 20-30 mins later to check and i could see that they had gone off completely. In fact, just been out to confirm this and they went out within 10 mins!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX

Last edited by x DTR x; Mar 19th, 2013 at 19:04.
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 20:05   #116
danielg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
No, i noticed they were still faintly dim when i parked and locked up the car which worried me a bit, i went out 20-30 mins later to check and i could see that they had gone off completely. In fact, just been out to confirm this and they went out within 10 mins!
Fortunately I haven't suffered with this problem, I normally buy canbus led's to stop these kind of problems, I must have just got lucky this time.
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 20:43   #117
x DTR x
Premier Member

The first led's i put in didn't do it, i think they were 9 bit festoons but since i have changed to 16 bit festoons, i have had the problem. I don't have any probs with the rear passenger ones which are the T10 wedge type!

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 20:56   #118
danielg1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custard Avenger View Post
I had both the front clusters out today whilst drying the drivers footwell (Flipping sunroof!) primarily to replace the sidemarker - i noticed the obscured torx screw on the nearside unit [you would have thought they would be a mirror image] so took apart the drivers side and cleaned it... However there is clear signs of the tarnishing so i think that a new projector unit would be required - I have been switching to the sidelights for daytime driving for a few years to save the bulbs; but early morning and late night commuting has stopped that.
I was surprised that they weren't a mirror image, also the reflector bowl is just to small. On one of the weak headlight threads somebody has replaced the reflectors with a pair from an Alfa, but didn't know what model as they had already been removed. I think they only took a small amount of work to fit.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 00:29   #119
Custard Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg1980 View Post
I was surprised that they weren't a mirror image, also the reflector bowl is just to small. On one of the weak headlight threads somebody has replaced the reflectors with a pair from an Alfa, but didn't know what model as they had already been removed. I think they only took a small amount of work to fit.
I've been looking for replacement Volvo parts but not seen anything other than complete units. At the moment the headlights are okayish so I'm not in any rush. Meanwhile the leaking sunroof is fixed but the headlight washers have packed up. FFS!
Custard Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 10:04   #120
craigblues
VOC Member

I'm a little shock at the price of some of the LED bulbs.

I'm tempted to swap a few around in my S40 but how much of a difference will it make. I already think my brake lights and reversing lights are pretty bright so I would presume LEDs would be even brighter plus potentially last longer.
craigblues is offline   Reply With Quote