Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon Wire Wheels

Views : 1380

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2013, 00:28   #1
minty muller

Default Amazon Wire Wheels

Hello all,

I wondered if any of you fine folk could point me in the right direction, as to where to start looking if I wanted to fit wire-wheels to my Amazon please?

I have seen a couple of Amazons fitted with wires now and have really fallen for them - do any of you know if they were 'factory' options or after-market?...if there after-market, which hubs/wheels fit?

I have been looking at buying either a set of Minilites, or possibly a set of the wider steels as are often seen on 'hotted-up' Amazons - but I have really fallen in-love with the wires idea!!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated - ta!!!

Kind Regards - Guy. :-)
minty muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:34   #2
barwick27
Amazon Adict

Wire wheels may look nice but they are a pain in the neck to keep clean. I thought about wide rims or Minilites but went down the 'Cosmic' route and found a set in need of restoring. I've attached a couple of photos of the Cosmic rims on my 70 Amazon (which is slightly tweaked)...I just need to find a set of center caps and I'm done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosmic.jpg (86.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg volvo.jpg (104.5 KB, 34 views)
barwick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barwick27 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 18:30   #3
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by minty muller View Post
Hello all,

I wondered if any of you fine folk could point me in the right direction, as to where to start looking if I wanted to fit wire-wheels to my Amazon please?

I have seen a couple of Amazons fitted with wires now and have really fallen for them - do any of you know if they were 'factory' options or after-market?...if there after-market, which hubs/wheels fit?

I have been looking at buying either a set of Minilites, or possibly a set of the wider steels as are often seen on 'hotted-up' Amazons - but I have really fallen in-love with the wires idea!!!

Any help/advice would be appreciated - ta!!!

Kind Regards - Guy. :-)
hi guy

dads got two sets of three of each type the push on ones and the nut lugged ones he may sell a set if your stuck but a third wheel would need to be located to match them which ever set he sells , i will ask him 2morrow and let you know

check the torq thrusts out tho first before you spend any money as they hold there money and keep clean a lot better

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:01   #4
minty muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
hi guy

dads got two sets of three of each type the push on ones and the nut lugged ones he may sell a set if your stuck but a third wheel would need to be located to match them which ever set he sells , i will ask him 2morrow and let you know

check the torq thrusts out tho first before you spend any money as they hold there money and keep clean a lot better

Hello mate,

That would be great - I'd be interested in the proper 'centre-lock' wires...you'll have to see if he wants to let them go though!!!

Do you know if he has the hubs themselves, to fit the wheels onto?...if not, do you have any idea if the hubs are Volvo-only, or if they cross over to another make/model of car???

I'm still tempted with both the other sets too (alloys & wide-steels) but I am sooo taken by the wires!

Speak soon...

Regards - Guy. :-)

PS - Did you get my text I sent you recently mate?

Last edited by minty muller; Feb 25th, 2013 at 22:04.
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:07   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

hi guy

i did get your text message the dash cap i have for 123gt is ropey i was going to have a play with it see if i could fix it up .

im not sure i think he has some centre hubs they go on before wheels get fitted then spin on there called knock off wire wheels and i belive there the same as a e-type jag but then if your looking that end of the scale you will pay jag prices

i will ask him laterz when i see him see how he stands on selling a set i know he wanted a set on a p1800 so its a 50/50 chance maybe if you can find any spare ones could do a deal so he ends up with a full set and sells three to you , u know what hes like hes always open to a deal lol

both sets what he has of is in real nice condition to !

speak soon

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 22:16   #6
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi, and if you are new - welcome to the forum. You just missed a discussion about said wirewheels, see http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169191

I think I'm the only person here with wirewheels presently on an amazon, but surely others (as above) have lots of experience with 'em. On the right car I think they work very well. I'm not entirely surprised by the comments regarding keeping them clean, but have not had any problems myself after putting 25,000 miles on my car in the first year. I guess that is only the first year, but so-far no problems, no rust.

I bought mine from Dayton Wirewheels (Dayton, Ohio, USA), and they included a spray bottle of cleaner, which I used every 3rd or 4th wash. It has an acid component; you just spray it on, soak, rinse and it seems to really cut the road-grime. I've never actually scrubbed them and so far am completely satisfied (there are some pics on that other thread). It's too late for me, but you may want to pursue this question a bit further.

Not sure how difficult it would be to find one more to make a set (above), but that would be awesome. FYI, I paid just shy of $400 apeice for them, delivered to my door in Canada. That was about 8 years ago.

Last edited by Volvo Canadian; Feb 25th, 2013 at 22:20.
Volvo Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 23:16   #7
minty muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
hi guy

i did get your text message the dash cap i have for 123gt is ropey i was going to have a play with it see if i could fix it up .

im not sure i think he has some centre hubs they go on before wheels get fitted then spin on there called knock off wire wheels and i belive there the same as a e-type jag but then if your looking that end of the scale you will pay jag prices

i will ask him laterz when i see him see how he stands on selling a set i know he wanted a set on a p1800 so its a 50/50 chance maybe if you can find any spare ones could do a deal so he ends up with a full set and sells three to you , u know what hes like hes always open to a deal lol

both sets what he has of is in real nice condition to !

speak soon

Hello Rob,

Glad you got my text mate - I'll be in-touch soon about some Amazon work for you!

RE: the dash top - I'm lucky, in that mine has a spotless dash-top, but its missing its GT 'tray' that sits next to the rev-counter - that's the bit I was wondering if you had spare?

Its interesting you say the wheels are the same as an E-Type's - do you know if that also includes the hubs/splines too?

James - thanks for the input and welcome fella...its much appreciated!

I've been a forum member for a little while now, but have been fairly quiet until recently - I'm new to Amazons, but heavily into my other classics...my dad was (still is!) an avid collector, so I've grown up with them since my earliest childhood...everything from the early 20's onwards...

Currently, I have 2x WW2 Jeeps, my Amazon GT, an '85 Opel Monza-GSE and I run the UK Mercedes W126 S-Class Club for my sin's too!

Speak soon fella...

Regards - Guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to minty muller For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 03:15   #8
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Hi - you are welcome. Sometimes if you don't announce you are new, such pleasantries are missed : )

I just thought I'd add that mine are bolt-ons. Dayton included an aluminum spacer to provide the right offset with the existing hubs. Mine are 15's too. Depending on your preferences you could go much higher than that, and I kind-of wish I had gone to 17's or 18's.
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 11:29   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

"RE: the dash top - I'm lucky, in that mine has a spotless dash-top, but its missing its GT 'tray' that sits next to the rev-counter - that's the bit I was wondering if you had spare?"

The tray is a moulded in part of the GT dash so to get it you'd have to buy the proper dash. Don't know if any RHD ones are available at the moment but if so will be £200+.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2013, 19:14   #10
minty muller

Hello Derek - thanks for that fella...I'd assumed that the tray was of the screw-on type - I can only think that my cars had a replacement dash-top at some stage in the past then?

At the moment, I'd prefer to spend the £200.00 on something more important towards getting the car back on the road - £200.00 will go a fair way towards a new exhaust system or something!!! :-)

Regards - Guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to minty muller For This Useful Post: